September 28, 2024, 10:32:20 PM

Author Topic: Core - 25th Anniversary Re-Release w/ Other Gems  (Read 20779 times)

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Core - 25th Anniversary Re-Release w/ Other Gems
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2017, 03:13:28 AM »
The highlight (thus far) for me is the creep demo, weiland was still working through the lyrics and it has a bridge which gives the song a different vibe
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2017, 03:50:53 AM »
I got really excited my Super Deluxe showed up today.  First thing I did was open it up and investigate the CDS and the booklet by the record.  I put the MTV unplugged in first and am listening to it now.  Really amazing as I hoped.  I always wanted MTV unplugged released.  Sounds amazing.  Very excited to listen to Only Dying.  That will be what I listen to next.  Then I will put in the live CDs.  Personally I think I will probably listen to the original master of Core rather then the new one.  But I have not tried the new one yet.  I was more excited about the bonus material and MTV unplugged and live shows then a remaster of Core.  Core was perfect to begin with.

Below is video of me opening it up and showing what is in the package. 
https://youtu.be/e9oFRP5sZfE
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 05:44:13 AM by rocker rockstar »

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2017, 10:07:14 PM »
The album was remastered by Dan Hersch according to the booklet,

Here are the DR levels, for those interested:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/136282

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2017, 02:08:21 AM »
Lots of memories listening to the demos. Most of it is stuff we've had for years but it sounds cleaned up. I dont think ive listened to so much core since the 90s. Still hard to believe Scott is gone. Makes me miss our boy all over again. Been a great two weeks of nostalga. Although i always play tracks from Core ive been listening to the album in whole non stop celebrating my favorite album of alltime for its 25th annivarsary: Takes me to a great place in my memory when i was a kid, young an invincible when everyone i knew was still alive. Music is the soundtrack to our lives🤘. I hope the guys do play new music around Only Dying. Good to see Ric still keeps this site running. Always good to stop by & chat with the long time regulars.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2017, 06:18:16 AM »
I’m disappointed in the 5.1 mix. Just seems like what happens when you play a stereo mix in a 5.1 system except some guitar overdubs noticeable in the side/rear speakers. That said, overall love that I have this.

What made me feel really old is not only that it’s been 25 years, but 25 years before 1992 takes you to 1967. Sgt. Pepper was as old when Core was released as Core is now.

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »
I thought the interesting songs were the Creep Demo since it sounds different than original.  Also, The Sex Type Thing Swing Style was pretty cool.  Only Dying was stand out.  Besides the MTV unplugged which I really love and was one of my main reasons for buying the Super Deluxe.  I am still savoring this set.  Still got a lot to still listen to fully appreciate this.  Look forward to listening to the concerts next.  Plush unplugged is always cool from the various performances.  Sex Type Thing unplugged really stands out for me.  Creep unplugged is like heaven.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:47:52 PM by rocker rockstar »

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2017, 12:07:43 AM »
Everything is pretty cool. Honestly my favorite thing is the "New Version" of Creep. It's basically the video version I would say, it flows so much better than the actually Core standard version.

Just having a clean version of that is prolly my favorite little tid bit.

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »
Amazon now says it's temporarily out of stock. I wonder if amazon just didn't order enough copies and a majority of people ordered via the official website. It still says my copy is coming today but I doubt if I see it anytime soon, or ever.

I might would order one from the STP store and cancel amazon if it doesnt show up, STP's FB page is claiming only about 100 copies of the Super Deluxe are left.
My copy did indeed come, via amazon. Amazon also says it's in stock. I wonder if the 100 copies left refers to the edition with the shirt and record single.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2017, 12:01:54 PM »
I can't understand why they limited it to 15,000 copies. I mean, why? For an album that sold 8 million copies, 15,000 seems a bit low.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2017, 04:10:07 PM »
Price has kept changing  the last couple of weeks almost daily, on Amazon, for some reason
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2017, 04:10:39 PM »
I can't understand why they limited it to 15,000 copies. I mean, why? For an album that sold 8 million copies, 15,000 seems a bit low.

To be fair, the full thing is available on iTunes. I know to us it's not the same as owning the physical thing, but for many it will suffice.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2017, 04:12:32 PM »

To be fair, the full thing is available on iTunes. I know to us it's not the same as owning the physical thing, but for many it will suffice.

although the Piece of Pie Scott demo seems to only be available as a hidden bonus track on the physical versions

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2017, 05:46:00 PM »
Listened in full today for the first time off Spotify. Like IMJ mentioned earlier there's not a whole lot here for us crazies who know every nook and cranny of this band's catalog, released and unreleased, but here are my immediate takeaways -

- I didn't notice a huge difference in the new remastered versions of songs, with small boosts here and there for the bass and vocals. It does sound a bit crisper, but you really have to listen for the individual differences. As was mentioned before, this could simply be a product of the fact the album was produced so well in the first place.
- THRILLED to have the "new" version of Creep with the crescendo in the second verse like they do live as a recorded, studio version. Such a more interesting song with this twist. Never expected I would get this, what a nice surprise.
- Interesting that they chose to include 3 different acoustic versions of Plush on this record. I guess they figured most have already heard the headbanger's ball and unplugged versions. Not sure where the third is from, I don't recognize it, but it's the same general arrangement as the unplugged version
- The alternate demo versions of Creep and Plush are cool to listen to as unfinished products. Crazy just how much the lyrics changed over time, especially Creep.
- Wish the live tracks they released were from Rolling Rock, such an iconic show. But I guess that wouldn't exactly be consistent with the anniversary.
- I've definitely enjoyed the new influx of interviews we've gotten from Dean, Robert, and Eric regarding the making of the album and behind the scenes tidbits. Seems like they're getting a bit more candid in the wake of Scott's passing.

Overall, I didn't really have lofty expectations for this release so I can't say I'm disappointed with it. The new version of Creep is certainly the highlight for me, most of the other stuff I've had for years and probably won't revisit in this medium. Really, it's just nice to have something new to talk about.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2017, 12:16:50 AM »
Hey everyone!

I got Core 25th Anniversary and I'm pleased to see those live shows, a clean set of demos and  the rerelease of the DVD-A version of Core. But if you like me, you probably already had the Core era singles and B-sides so the new version of Creep and a couple other inclusions weren't such a big deal. I do wish we got "at home"/in the studio film footage on the DVD or on a separate DVD. Or even a compilation of their 92/93 TV interviews promoting the original release, that would have been hella nice.

I still gotta say though, it's bittersweet in a sense since Scott isn't with us any longer to celebrate this and do a 25th Anniversary tour. Though GOD knows he fucking tried. Thanks STP for stopping this from being a 2012 release and having a kickass Core Anniversary tour. Was it worth it? I'm fucking serious. Was it FUCKING worth it?
Back for another one

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2017, 02:55:18 AM »

although the Piece of Pie Scott demo seems to only be available as a hidden bonus track on the physical versions

True. I wonder if it was left off iTunes on purpose.