September 29, 2024, 12:23:20 AM

Author Topic: Core - 25th Anniversary Re-Release w/ Other Gems  (Read 20782 times)

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Core - 25th Anniversary Re-Release w/ Other Gems
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2017, 03:51:30 AM »
Hi everyone, long time fan, new to this forum. I also ordered the deluxe vinyl set with the shirt, litho, etc. and regret to say I'm kind of disappointed so far. Shirt was pretty sub par; material and fit was okay, but the print quality is very poor. Very pixelated and blurry. Also got the "litho" yesterday as well - it's NOT a litho! It is a cheap digital print, and is also very pixelated, and mine had marks all over it. Something you can have printed at FedEx for a few dollars. I really hope the vinyl pressing is high quality for some sort of redemption.

Missed opportunities, poor planning and poor products (the music aside), that's how STP likes to roll.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2017, 04:19:11 AM »
Got shipping confirmation today. Alleged date of delivery is tomorrow. Preeetttyyy stoked.
Bleeda blooda

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2017, 06:15:32 PM »
Core breakdown by songs.  Also mention they have been working with singer and plan for a new album
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/stone-temple-pilots-talk-core-song-by-song-scott-weiland-w505463
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2017, 08:06:20 PM »
"We've been working with someone – I don't want to name names yet – and we're making music," Robert says. "I don't know if he's well-known or unknown; I don't look at him as 'well-known.' But we're writing music and we're hopefully looking at finishing a record and putting it out soon."

So, Jeff Gutt then.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »
"We've been working with someone – I don't want to name names yet – and we're making music," Robert says. "I don't know if he's well-known or unknown; I don't look at him as 'well-known.' But we're writing music and we're hopefully looking at finishing a record and putting it out soon."

So, Jeff Gutt then.

Don't care who it is.

They haven't put out a full album in seven years and haven't put out one I liked in over a decade.

Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2017, 01:25:20 AM »
They had someone months ago but the recording sessions together weren't going well so they had to go back to the drawing board and revisit things with someone else. Not sure how things are going with this other new singer though...
Take it.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2017, 02:23:36 AM »
I can confirm that there is a 14th track on Disc 2 which is the Piece of Pie Scott demo that has been mentioned by the band in a few interviews.   And it seems like this is only available on the physical release because iTunes and Amazon don't have this track listed.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2017, 09:40:09 AM »
Amazon says the super deluxe will be available  10/2. I wonder if they sold out their inventory? I pre-ordered my copy months ago and while it says I'll get it today it hasn't shipped.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2017, 09:52:56 AM »
Amazon says the super deluxe will be available  10/2. I wonder if they sold out their inventory? I pre-ordered my copy months ago and while it says I'll get it today it hasn't shipped.

They moved the UK release to 13th October.

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »
Amazon now says it's temporarily out of stock. I wonder if amazon just didn't order enough copies and a majority of people ordered via the official website. It still says my copy is coming today but I doubt if I see it anytime soon, or ever.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:48:15 AM by RhettButler »

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2017, 12:13:59 AM »
I posted this elsewhere on the forums, but it's more appropriate here.

I got my Anniversary set in the mail today. It's got a great foil album cover (think the cool stuff they did with comic book covers in the 90's that wound up crashing the market), and the discs are all nicely inserted into the right side of the gatefold while the vinyl and old-school style record booklet are in the left.

It's great to look at, but of course basically all of the tracks are the same one's that most of us hard cores have had for years now anyway. The mix on Only Dying is great though, with an extended guitar intro. The demo of Nake Sunday is terrific too because they've boosted Weiland's vocals in the mix. It breathes new life into the song - wait until you guys hear it - the Naked Sunday demo is going to be the talk of the boards for a while I'd guess.  Also, crank up the Where the River Goes demo too - the guitar crunch in the beginning is terrific - just before Weiland's vocals come in. This song as a demo track is mixed just as well as Naked Sunday too.  Also, the demos of D&B, Creep and Plush have some unique lyrical changes during the demo phases to listen for as well.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 12:28:12 AM by IMJ »
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

LimoWreck

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2017, 12:37:25 AM »
Amazon now says it's temporarily out of stock. I wonder if amazon just didn't order enough copies and a majority of people ordered via the official website. It still says my copy is coming today but I doubt if I see it anytime soon, or ever.

I might would order one from the STP store and cancel amazon if it doesnt show up, STP's FB page is claiming only about 100 copies of the Super Deluxe are left.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2017, 12:40:44 AM »

I got my Anniversary set in the mail today. It's got a great foil album cover (think the cool stuff they did with comic book covers in the 90's that wound up crashing the market), and the discs are all nicely inserted into the right side of the gatefold while the vinyl and old-school style record booklet are in the left.

It's great to look at, but of course basically all of the tracks are the same one's that most of us hard cores have had for years now anyway. The mix on Only Dying is great though, with an extended guitar intro. The demo of Nake Sunday is terrific too because they've boosted Weiland's vocals in the mix. It breathes new life into the song - wait until you guys hear it - the Naked Sunday demo is going to be the talk of the boards for a while I'd guess.  Also, crank up the Where the River Goes demo too - the guitar crunch in the beginning is terrific - just before Weiland's vocals come in. This song as a demo track is mixed just as well as Naked Sunday too.  Also, the demos of D&B, Creep and Plush have some unique lyrical changes during the demo phases to listen for as well.

have you tried doing a "side by side" listening to a song off of remastered core vs the original? i'm wondering how different they sound.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2017, 01:26:05 AM »

have you tried doing a "side by side" listening to a song off of remastered core vs the original? i'm wondering how different they sound.

I haven't yet. But my first thoughts on listening to the remaster are that there isn't much that changes the listening paradigm of the album, which I thought was interesting because for example on the Ten remaster I could tell the difference in the mix levels and whatnot versus the original. With that said, I have a much greater intrinsic understanding of the Core album in my bones than I do Ten, and yet I haven't really picked out much of a difference yet.

However I've only listened to the vinyl so far, and that gives a different quality anyway given the format.  So what I'm hearing I could be attributing to the clarity of analog rather than the remaster. Ten benefit from some remixing of the audio levels of each element on each song, and I'm not really sure if that was done with Core at all here.

I'll move onto the CD shortly here, although I'm really curious how the DVD audio is going to pan out given my historical passion for the original DVD-Audio release of Core which I've ranted on about for years on the forums now.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:29:58 AM by IMJ »
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2017, 02:01:27 AM »
Okay, so more on this after listening to some of Core on my home theater system in Stereo mode - that is to say no synthetic processing like NEO or anything like that.

What I perceive to be the differences are so subtle that I'm second guessing if I'm detecting anything at all, but I'll try to start the conversation regarding the remaster a bit to the best of my ability.  I'm using Dead & Bloated, Piece of Pie and Plush as my examples here.

At first I had thought that the bass levels were brought up a bit to giving each track a fuller sound. But I don't think that's true.  I actually had to go on my HMS and play the remastered tracks a bit against my Core FLAC files - I'm playing this stuff on an Oppo UDP-203 - an absolutely remarkable player.  But after some more listening and evaluation of the tracks, here are a few conclusions:

Any real differences in the mix is perceived and not real.  Rather, it's like each element of each track (drums, bass, guitar, vocals) were separated and laid down on top of each other all over again without enhancement to the levels (the mix) at all.  And so, what I'm detecting is that there is a better sharpness of each element of a given song yielding a small, small, small improvement in overall clarity that might make you think a remix was involved, although I don't think there was. For example, on Dead & Bloated, the bass pulls seem to yield a sharper presence than in the past - as if rather than reverberating into the overall sound, they now have the smallest of distinction in the song. And it's like this for each element - the mix hasn't changed but Scott has a distinct voice in the song, as does Eric's drums and etc.

Almost like the new laying of each element over another, through whatever process was used to remaster, yielded what is simply a slightly clearer album with slightly more distinct sounding components.  The change I'm describing is so subtle in clarity that I only somewhat sensed it when listening to the tracks, and then had to reinforce the thought by using my home media server to basically go back and forth between the original album and this one.

Simply put, Core Remastered seems only a little bit clearer in sound than it used to be, and what I explained above is my best guess why.

On the other hand, what I'm detecting could also be a function of the fact that these discs are brand new, as opposed to whatever the status of my stuff was when I tore Core into FLAC years ago.

Lastly and undeniably, what I'm explaining here is, I suppose, also a testimony to how well Core was produced originally without synthetic volume boosting (e.g., "The Loudness War").  The fact that a current remaster hasn't yielded such a change that both a hardcore fan and long time listener can't detect a significant difference even when using pretty good equipment perhaps says how good Core's original master really was.

I'm really curious to read the rest of the fan communities thoughts are on the remastering of the album in particular. Keep in mind that all of my thoughts so far are also only born of listening to Dead & Bloated, Piece of Pie and some of Plush in comparison to the original master; and on CD rather than the DVD Audio at this point.

EDIT - Ok, well Where The River Goes benefited significantly from the remastering process - that is very apparent, even Weiland's trailing lyrics in the last few seconds of the song have a much more enhanced presence. I can't wait for everyone to listen to that one now and talk about it a bit....
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:19:44 AM by IMJ »