September 29, 2024, 04:41:37 AM

Author Topic: Core - 25th Anniversary Re-Release w/ Other Gems  (Read 20808 times)

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Core - 25th Anniversary Re-Release w/ Other Gems
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »
As others have said, I'm sort of on the fence about which version to get.

I've read some past posts that the DVD of the larger box sets will just be the same DVD from "Thank You"? Do I have that correct?

That is not correct. The DVD is a 5.1 mix of the album, a 24bit/96kHz mix of the album and 4 music videos. Not at all like the disc from Thank You. This is a Core reissue remember, it doesn't contain music from any other album except for Loungefly which was already being performed on the Core tour.

also Big Empty is included on the unplugged concert.....I'm glad they included this, I was afraid they would leave this off for the Purple box set (I'm assuming there will be one)
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2017, 06:39:23 PM »
As others have said, I'm sort of on the fence about which version to get.

I've read some past posts that the DVD of the larger box sets will just be the same DVD from "Thank You"? Do I have that correct?

People are saying it will possibly be the same as the 2000 DVDA release of Core, not the Thank You dvd. But the DVDA release didn't include all the music videos, so I believe the DVD is a new release. The question is whether they redid the 5.1 mix for this release, or used the same mix from the 2000 release.

also Big Empty is included on the unplugged concert.....I'm glad they included this, I was afraid they would leave this off for the Purple box set (I'm assuming there will be one)

I'd love to see a Purple set like this (it's my favorite ablum), but it would be tricky because there's even less material to work with there... They basically have the album, whatever demos exist, and the Worcester show. I hope they do it, but at the same time I'm trying to keep my expectations down.

I'd also love to see them release Worcester on Blu-ray for the anniversary, but I've pretty much given up hope on them ever releasing that show.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:53:17 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2017, 01:40:04 AM »
Thanks for the clarification on the DVD content... Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. I was hoping the remaining members of STP would give us a DVD similar to "Thank You" with unreleased concert footage or something along those lines, which would span the beginning of their career to the end with Scott, and maybe even throw in some footage with Chester. While I realize this was the similar format to "Thank You," one can only dream for more gems like that.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2017, 01:58:17 AM »
Thanks for the clarification on the DVD content... Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. I was hoping the remaining members of STP would give us a DVD similar to "Thank You" with unreleased concert footage or something along those lines, which would span the beginning of their career to the end with Scott, and maybe even throw in some footage with Chester. While I realize this was the similar format to "Thank You," one can only dream for more gems like that.

I'd rather get a couple full concerts released than just get a bunch of clips again. Worcester 94 and Vegas 99 appear to have been recorded on film, so they could potentially remaster those on Blu-ray. Worcester, Vegas, and Chicago would make a damn good time-line of their years with Scott... And then hopefully they could find a way to officially release the New York show with Chester down the line.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2017, 05:48:40 AM »
The Sex Type Thing demo is in roughly the same key as the original. It's higher than the original, but not quite a half step higher. It's possible that's just the way it is.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2017, 08:57:49 AM »

I'd rather get a couple full concerts released than just get a bunch of clips again. Worcester 94 and Vegas 99 appear to have been recorded on film, so they could potentially remaster those on Blu-ray. Worcester, Vegas, and Chicago would make a damn good time-line of their years with Scott... And then hopefully they could find a way to officially release the New York show with Chester down the line.

Do you know if there were any shows shot on film during the SLDD tour? That would be the ideal release for me, they were at their best live on that tour, they had the strings at some shows as well, and of course it would span the whole of their classic era career with Scott.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2017, 08:58:49 AM »
. double post

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »
I'm kind of surprised they wouldn't announce a tour in tandem with this merch release. Even if it was 5 shows or whatever. Maybe they are deciding against Jeff Gutt and thinking of hanging it up?

loungefly90

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2017, 03:31:10 PM »

Do you know if there were any shows shot on film during the SLDD tour? That would be the ideal release for me, they were at their best live on that tour, they had the strings at some shows as well, and of course it would span the whole of their classic era career with Scott.

There were a few off the top of my head:
7/10/01 Canada for Much Music
8/4/01 Latrobe, PA - Rolling Rock

Both concerts are out there, but are incomplete.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2017, 03:57:46 PM »
Yeah, I have both of those, I was thinking more of a club performance, both of those were festivals/special events. Although Rolling Rock is an epic performance, they couldn't go far wrong releasing that.

loungefly90

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2017, 08:47:05 PM »
Yeah, I have both of those, I was thinking more of a club performance, both of those were festivals/special events. Although Rolling Rock is an epic performance, they couldn't go far wrong releasing that.

Totally true, Rolling Rock is nothing short of epic. I place it as probably their best performance ever with a diverse setlist and Scott and the boys being completely on point.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2017, 09:01:20 PM »

Unfortunately both of those are on video tape, not film. Nothing I am aware of from the SLDD era was recorded on film, except for maybe the SLDD documentary.

Videotape is an SD source, and film is an HD source. An SD videotape could be upscaled to HD, but you won't get any new detail from the upscale. An film, however, can be rescanned in HD from the negatives and it would rival the image quality of your average film.

The rule of thumb to think about is what the concert was recorded for. Worcester and Vegas were recorded for the home video market, as well as for press material (The Down music video), so they were recorded on film. Rolling Rock and Much Music and even MTV Unplugged were filmed for TV broadcast, so they were recorded on videotape which is easier to edit and broadcast.

So for me personally I'd rather they focus their time and money into an HD scan of a film-sourced show. That said anything they release I will buy.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2017, 03:26:27 AM »

Nothing I am aware of from the SLDD era was recorded on film, except for maybe the SLDD documentary.

I'm sure they're going to release this documentary for SLDD's 25th in 2026. But seriously I echo what Blue said, they should release a film sourced show.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2017, 06:17:43 AM »

Unfortunately both of those are on video tape, not film. Nothing I am aware of from the SLDD era was recorded on film, except for maybe the SLDD documentary.

Videotape is an SD source, and film is an HD source. An SD videotape could be upscaled to HD, but you won't get any new detail from the upscale. An film, however, can be rescanned in HD from the negatives and it would rival the image quality of your average film.

The rule of thumb to think about is what the concert was recorded for. Worcester and Vegas were recorded for the home video market, as well as for press material (The Down music video), so they were recorded on film. Rolling Rock and Much Music and even MTV Unplugged were filmed for TV broadcast, so they were recorded on videotape which is easier to edit and broadcast.

So for me personally I'd rather they focus their time and money into an HD scan of a film-sourced show. That said anything they release I will buy.

If the Shangri-la Dee Da documentary was recorded on film, then I know of at least one show that was filmed: Nov. 20, 2001 at the Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas.

I was there, and there were professional cameras there filming. This is why I was bewildered that "home" footage from the band was used for the Thank You DVD.

And not only do I remember this, I wrote it in the review I did for this site. " . . . Scott mentioned that tonight was the the last thing to be filmed in their documentary. I have no idea if they filmed Monday also, but even if they did, I will probably end up on the DVD if it is released because the camera man got tons of shots of our side of the stage. . . "

http://belowempty.com/concerts.php?s=date&id=669

IF you remember, this was the second of two nights, and in between, Scott was arrested for spousal abuse, which we now know was about prescription meds for his knee.

Setlist:

Loungefly
Crackerman
Vasoline
Hollywood Bitch
Meatplow
Big Empty
Dead and Bloated

--acoustic--
Pretty Penny
Wonderful
Black Again
Sour Girl
Creep

Sin
Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart
Revolution
Too Cool Queenie
Interstate Love Song
Plush

--encore--
Zeppelin jam, which included Nobody's Fault But Mine and Moby Dick
Sex Type Thing
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:20:36 AM by lovemachine97 »

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2017, 06:19:05 AM »
Okay I have no idea why the text from the review is White. I just copied and pasted from the Concert Chronology page. If you highlight the text, you can see my quote from my review of the show.