September 25, 2024, 08:25:09 AM

Author Topic: Why not this girl?  (Read 3463 times)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Why not this girl?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 03:16:06 PM »
Yeah her STP comparison with Zepp is something others have said as well and shows that shes a fan
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 03:23:38 PM »
I think Mina would be a good choice to front STP, Gaga would be an interesting choice for a totally new band with all original material.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 03:52:12 PM »
The biggest reason I'm pushing for her specifically is that I believe she is the only one out there who can bring back the energy that was present in the No. 4 and Shangri La Dee Da tours. To me personally, as a matter of opinion, I don't care if you are a great singer and can hit all the notes if you don't bring your "A" game stage presence.  There is a certain sparkle to STP; yes part of that is certainly sonic, but part of that is the visual aspect of their performance. As I stated before, I've never been a fan of hers, but I can admit she has a great set of pipes, and just as exciting to me is that she certainly wouldn't disappoint in the performance department. Would she sound anything like how we're used to hearing the songs sung?  Absolutely not, but that's the beauty of it. She wouldn't be singing Sex Type Thing in that low growl. It would be her own voice and tone. Like someone else said, it wouldn't be like watching someone do live band karaoke so much. Scott Weiland will always be our Bon Scott, but Lady Gaga could very well be our Brian Johnson. 

As confident as I am that she is the right person to perform the existing back catalog, I can also say that I have no clue what original material would sound like coming from that group. It's something I can't even imagine really, but I would definitely give it a chance with enthusiasm.

It's just a natural fit if you ask me. I'm sure theres room for one more east coast Italian in this band anyway.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 04:07:53 PM »
Has Gaga ever expressed any love for STP?

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 07:55:08 PM »
For the level Lady Gaga is on.  She'd have to be interested in STP in the first place and WANT to work with the band to move it forward.  She would have to be THAT passionate about such a concept because otherwise she'd be losing $$$ compared to what she could do solo. 

Additionally, would the guys be willing to go into another relationship with a singer in which they are a secondary commitment?  If they were, I'd question their motive a bit.

But perhaps the planets could align and they could do some loose collaboration work together.  Just as Dean & Rob have with Steven Tyler.  I'd be very interested to hear what they could create.  I just don't realistically see it ever being as STP.  She's just too huge on her own.  I'd be happy to be wrong though...
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

DrGONZOakaRaoulDuke

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 08:48:38 PM »

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 09:04:51 PM »
What about Linda Perry from 4 Non-Blondes? She's got a hell of a voice, and she's actually got massively successful career writing songs for other singers. She's actually been inducted the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

She has the gravel for the Core/Purple tracks, and the range for the No. 4/SLDD tracks. She can play guitar, and she'd contribute a hell of a fucking lot to the song writing process. And I don't think she's currently in a band.

https://youtu.be/bWWazTGZCEg
Grab the hate and drown it out...

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »
What about Linda Perry from 4 Non-Blondes?

Linda Perry who??? Lol https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oj0YjGKqauw

I respect your opinion, but Linda Perry is much older and much more straight forward. I don't think STP would be half as interesting if they didn't have a singer who was a bit weird. Scott kind of set a bar there in that sense. Scott was somewhat of a gender bender at times. Marched to the beat of his own drum fashionably speaking. Scott sang in multiple voices to the point where a novice listener might wonder if he was even the same guy from one song/album to the next. Plus pre-reunion Scott was a stage god. Moved all over the place, slithered his body around to the music in interesting ways, shuffled his feet in dance. A total performance artist and entertainer. I can't see old Linda Perry doing anything but the typical singer/songwriter thing of just standing still.  Gaga is all over the place, with multiple voices, and fantastic pipes. I haven't seen many of her performances so I don't know that she's quite the stage god of Scott but she certainly has the potential.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 02:46:42 PM by NickLorenza »

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 04:14:52 PM »
What about Linda Perry from 4 Non-Blondes? She's got a hell of a voice, and she's actually got massively successful career writing songs for other singers. She's actually been inducted the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

She has the gravel for the Core/Purple tracks, and the range for the No. 4/SLDD tracks. She can play guitar, and she'd contribute a hell of a fucking lot to the song writing process. And I don't think she's currently in a band.

https://youtu.be/bWWazTGZCEg

I love Linda Perry, she did a badass version of " Misty Mountain Hop" on the necronium Led Zeppelin tribute album. She actually would be a killer fit. My friend Jordis Unga would be also.

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 04:30:52 PM »

Here is Jordis when she did Rockstar INXS, i made it in the top 50, but didn't crack the top 15.

https://youtu.be/uVnTfZFP4yU

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 04:33:06 PM »

Jordis doing " The Man Who Sold the World"

https://youtu.be/UP6YyT1XIKo

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 05:53:37 PM »
What about Linda Perry from 4 Non-Blondes?

Linda Perry who??? Lol https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oj0YjGKqauw

I respect your opinion, but Linda Perry is much older and much more straight forward. I don't think STP would be half as interesting if they didn't have a singer who was a bit weird. Scott kind of set a bar there in that sense. Scott was somewhat of a gender bender at times. Marched to the beat of his own drum fashionably speaking. Scott sang in multiple voices to the point where a novice listener might wonder if he was even the same guy from one song/album to the next. Plus pre-reunion Scott was a stage god. Moved all over the place, slithered his body around to the music in interesting ways, shuffled his feet in dance. A total performance artist and entertainer. I can't see old Linda Perry doing anything but the typical singer/songwriter thing of just standing still.  Gaga is all over the place, with multiple voices, and fantastic pipes. I haven't seen many of her performances so I don't know that she's quite the stage god of Scott but she certainly has the potential.

lol It's actually that video that made me think of Perry.

The problem with Gaga is that STP would only ever be a part time job with her. She is currently on a world tour until December of this year, which mean with her they would have to wait until 2018 to even start recording. Then of course, just like with Chester, they'd have to take breaks while she recorded and toured her own album. They'd be exactly where they were with Chester and LP.

They're not looking for a performance artist, they're looking for a singer who can carry the catalog and who can commit entirely to the band. Linda Perry has the voice, and she doesn't seem to have any other projects going. If she's willing to tour with the band, she'd be a great choice. The only question I guess would be if her voice can hold up to touring, since she's in her 50s and hasn't toured much since 2011 or so.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2017, 07:04:07 PM »
I think Scott would definitely approve of Mina carrying on the legacy.  Scott being androgynous himself at times and a supporter of LGBT minorities since as early as the early 90s would welcome a transgender taking up the helm.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2017, 07:35:48 PM »
He couldn't deal w/ Chester.  What makes you think he would deal w/ anyone else?  Come on, be serious.  What kind of thread is this? The desperation thread?  Here let's ask Britney Spears.  I think her residency at Vegas is about over.  She draws a crowd.  Or how about Taylor Swift.  She just has to date a couple of rock guys then break up w/ them and then write a song about it...caa-ching...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-X
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 01:38:23 PM »
There would be nothing desperate about picking Mina Caputo, she was a brutally good metal singer as Keith Caputo, and she is as Mina too.

Also, Scott was alive while Chester was in the Band, Lazy Divey is speaking hypothetically about how Scott might have felt about the band carrying on after his death. Of course there's no way to know, because he can't tell us, but it's reasonable to think he might have wanted somebody to carry STP's legacy forward and may have approved of Mina Caputo as a choice. It's not the same thing as how he felt about Chester replacing him.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:46:28 PM by Pingfah »