September 25, 2024, 06:21:06 AM

Author Topic: Difficulty in accepting the new singer...  (Read 2671 times)

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Difficulty in accepting the new singer...
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 06:55:43 PM »
"I'm sorry, but the idea that you need one person to sing a song to identify with it is pretty ridiculous to me"

Why is it ridiculous? I could never listen to a Queen song without Freddie. Some vocalists are SO powerful that the song doesn't have the same emotion when someone else sings it (no matter how well the song was written).

"but I don't get the idea that anyone thinks only one person can sing a song to make it relatable"

When you hear an artist sing a song for a decade, relate to it, invest your soul in it...it is VERY understandable when a new guy comes in to sing it that a person won't and can't relate to it.

Adam Lambert does an amazing job on the tours, as did Paul Rodgers, I saw them with both. You don't have to relate emotionally to the vocals to enjoy the show, it's a spectacle. I think Freddie would have liked it, he saw his music as disposable pop, not something sacred.

Sure if Lambert recorded an album of Queen covers I would not be interested, but don't write off the live show because he isn't Freddie.

What can you say about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egtJi967tgM

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Difficulty in accepting the new singer...
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 08:31:30 PM »
Adam Lambert does an amazing job on the tours, as did Paul Rodgers, I saw them with both. You don't have to relate emotionally to the vocals to enjoy the show, it's a spectacle. I think Freddie would have liked it, he saw his music as disposable pop, not something sacred.

Sure if Lambert recorded an album of Queen covers I would not be interested, but don't write off the live show because he isn't Freddie.

I've seen Queen with Roger and with Adam.  Both amazing, both highly respectable singers.  Adam may be the closest yet that you can get to the real thing.  But it's a bit different because the cards are on the table with Queen + Adam.  They're a nostalgia act.  100% back catalogue, no new music.  You go into that with the understanding that they're not trying to do anything new but to keep Queen alive using a singer who could do the most justice and keep the name alive, but not evolving.  (Yes they tried an album with Paul but they soon abandoned it).  It is an amazing show & experience, but it's not a band trying to move forward.

I agree Chester did a great job in the performing role.  He's a great frontman in his own right and can do the STP catalogue justice.  The EP was respectable, but they just didn't support it enough.  His time with the band was mostly playing off nostalgia.  I wish they could have put out some more music and really given it a better chance.  The parking break with these guys is on until they can learn to play more than 2 new songs in their setlists.  They've been guilty of it since SLDD.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:34:40 PM by CritterTypeThing »
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18