September 25, 2024, 04:16:34 AM

Author Topic: Core's 25th Anniversary Tour... How far are we from meeting the new singer?  (Read 3017 times)

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
I dunno how the "touring cycle" occurs in the US, but assuming there will be either a world tour or a US tour for Core's 25th anniversary, how soon are we from knowing who's singing?  Let us assume that there will be rehearsals and prolly recordings to be done.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I dunno how the "touring cycle" occurs in the US, but assuming there will be either a world tour or a US tour for Core's 25th anniversary, how soon are we from knowing who's singing? Let us assume that there will be rehearsals and prolly recordings to be done.

About two or three months ago.

Just about all the major summer festivals have already been booked, and some  have already ended. STP would have had to hire a singer at the end of last year and started booking shows immediately to do a Core summer tour. I guess they could still do a headlining tour of smaller venues in the fall, but their big opportunity to really tour Core this year is already lost.

Best we can hope for is they hire a guy by the end of the year, and we get a Core/Purple tour next summer. Not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:52:27 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I'd say we're maybe 4.5 years from hearing anything. Here's hoping for Core 30th!

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Yeah, if they're to re-launch, it would serve them well to make use of festivals.  Takes a good amount of the pressure off and they can take their time working together live with whichever singer.

As nice as an anniversary tour would be, this kinda shows the integrity they have in trying to make the best decision for the band as far as a new singer goes.  I'd rather them take an extra year or two to get what they think is the best option, instead of rushing just to be able to cash in on a gimmick tour.

Hopefully that doesn't get in the way of potential re-releases or leaking anything from whatever vault they may have.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile

My take:

Pick 4 singers, split the songs up evenly and do a mini tour and have the fans vote via text at each show. That is the best way to find anew singer. Stick their ass out front and to the dogs. Then you see who can handle the fame and rigors of performance and professionalism.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
My take:

Pick 4 singers, split the songs up evenly and do a mini tour and have the fans vote via text at each show. That is the best way to find anew singer. Stick their ass out front and to the dogs. Then you see who can handle the fame and rigors of performance and professionalism.

Dean, Robert, and Eric are all professionals who have been in the business a long time. They can tell just fine who will and who won't act professionally without putting them up on a stage. Like Dean said at one point, they'll know the guy when they find him.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Yeah, if they're to re-launch, it would serve them well to make use of festivals.  Takes a good amount of the pressure off and they can take their time working together live with whichever singer.

As nice as an anniversary tour would be, this kinda shows the integrity they have in trying to make the best decision for the band as far as a new singer goes.  I'd rather them take an extra year or two to get what they think is the best option, instead of rushing just to be able to cash in on a gimmick tour.

Hopefully that doesn't get in the way of potential re-releases or leaking anything from whatever vault they may have.

Be that as it may saying they should take their time they aren't getting any younger time is of the essence and timing is everything. It would help if they are already at least recording an EP with whoever the singer is and t hey get out there in front of the biggest crowds they can. Record sales don't mean as much nowadays its all about buzz and touring. Then when the cycle is over they can put out a full length release.

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile

I am going to see if i can bleed some info from Bruce on what is going on. It will be be vague at best, but will give us some insight into what is happening as far as the singer situation takes fold. TBA

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Did STP tour much during the mid to late 90s? Were they mostly US and European and South Am tours?  Kinda curious about their fanbase in those areas.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

Be that as it may saying they should take their time they aren't getting any younger time is of the essence and timing is everything. It would help if they are already at least recording an EP with whoever the singer is and t hey get out there in front of the biggest crowds they can. Record sales don't mean as much nowadays its all about buzz and touring. Then when the cycle is over they can put out a full length release.

Very true.  But I don't know how much Rob, Dean & Eric need to rely on STP for fresh success (atleast right now) in order to necessitate pushing things faster.  Rob & Dean seem to have more than enough respect among their peers.  They've been involved with collaborations, super groups, side projects well enough to keep themselves present in the industry.  I'm not sure what Eric has been up to.

Their primary band fell apart 3 times (more if you want to count minor stops & starts in the 90s).  They had 2 secondary bands fall apart.  I do believe that they'll continue to make this the most thought out process they can, maybe even to a fault.  Hopefully it's worth the wait.

I agree about getting a buzz.  My thought/hope at this point is they've narrowed things down a bit and are working with some singer/singers on material to finalize their decision.  Release an EP and do a handful of big city shows (not even a technical tour) to followup.  Would be nice if it could happen by this Fall.  But just because it's less pressure and reaches a bigger audience, my guess is in time for next year's festival season.  Would've hoped this festival season.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
It would help if they are already at least recording an EP with whoever the singer is and t hey get out there in front of the biggest crowds they can.

I think it's pretty clear they still don't have a new singer. We would have heard something by now if they had. They'd be booking shows and building up hype as soon as they were hired. Remember how quickly they fired out of the gate when Chester joined?

But let's also remember that they had at least 8 songs written and recorded and ready for vocals from their final sessions with Chester. Once they hire a singer, they can make a full LP in the time it took them to make High Rise. They just need to write and record 3-4 new songs and have the new singer lay down vocals on the 8 existing tracks.

We'll get a real quick turn-around on a new album and tour when and if they hire someone. That's why I tend to think they haven't yet.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
We didn't actually know they had got Chester until they walked out on a stage with him though, and they must have been rehearsing that for a few months.

I agree they probably haven't, as the task seems nigh on impossible, but lack of a press release or a booked tour isn't necessarily a sign of that. These guys don't seem to do any of the things that are expected of them, ever.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I'll probably have a hard time getting behind any unknown singer, but regardless I actually think the best move for STP would be to time the announcement with the release of new music, similar to what they did with Chester.  Basically it says "we have this guy and this is what he can do... we're moving forward". In my opinion, thats the best way to make a real go of continuing their career.  If you announce a replacement singer and then just play the existing catalog, then you're probably not far off from becoming a state fair band. 

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
This is my idea. 

1. They should get the potential singers together.
2. Do a Tribute concert to Honor Scott.
3. Divide up the concert set list.
4. Have the potential singers do an original song.

Then, only through touring will they know if they can really get along w/ any of them while making money, honoring Scott, doing the Core 25 tour and see if anyone likes any of them w/out having any attachments or commitments to any of them.  No one votes on anyone just enjoy the show and let nature take its course so to speak.  Anyway, I just thought of this just now so feel free to tweak it.

8) :-*
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I just don't think they want to audition people publicly. Like I said before, these guys are professionals and they know what they are looking for in a singer without putting them on stage.

Besides, if they really want to do a tribute show to Scott they'd be better off going with people Scott actually knew and worked with, like Chester and Perry Farrell.