September 25, 2024, 12:25:18 AM

Author Topic: TONY J. WEST to front STP?  (Read 4771 times)

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
TONY J. WEST to front STP?
« on: April 03, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »
A new contender in the STP singer search, Tony J. West? What does everyone think? Not a bad singer and he has moves and seems to have "Rockstar Charisma" or persona, from the vids I've seen. I don't picture him with STP but, I could totally see him fronting Velvet Revolver. Don't care for the vocals for an STP song though. Like him better than Chester though. He sorta looks like a cross between Perry Farrell (Jane's Addiction) and Stephen Pearcy (Ratt).
Josh HUTEYE Hutson

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: TONY J. WEST to front STP?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 07:57:03 AM »
I can't believe I'm gonna say this but Chester sounds way better.

8) :-*
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

DrLymphNode

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 12:27:51 PM »
Just the fact that he jumped the gun and couldn't keep his talks private means he's fucked just like John Borja.

Most of these middle age rawk and roll type dudes who are auditioning for the band really can't seem to keep themselves composed in a professional environment...

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 05:40:57 PM »
Just the fact that he jumped the gun and couldn't keep his talks private means he's fucked just like John Borja.

Most of these middle age rawk and roll type dudes who are auditioning for the band really can't seem to keep themselves composed in a professional environment...
Maybe you are right Doc. But, who is to say that they haven't put him up to it or condoned it for the sake of keeping a foothold in the relevancy of the search? Just enough to keep people talking? It would be the smart thing to do, if you were STP and as Brett Buchanan said on his April fools post, "Clickbait is the name of the game." He is right. It is a business and people don't get their music and news from Mtv these days. They get it out here on the web and if no one knows or hears to look for it, they won't.
Josh HUTEYE Hutson

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 07:18:46 PM »
I have to agree.  This guy is just like the other's and took it upon himself to market his name to get a buzz but the way I see it, Dean, Robert and Eric must cry themselves to sleep every night while simultaneously praying to the God's while searching for a poor man's Scott.

I will say he sounds better than that Borja guy, for sure, but the ones who have been in the so called 'finalists' spots have really shown nothing but trying to sound like him yet stating they try to put their spin on it.

I've been listening to this band since I discovered their music in January of 1993 and throughout that time, I have seen many guys attempt, some w/ hilarious results.  It's the same in the chicks world of Rock.  Every girl tries their hardest to sound like Stevie Nicks.  I love Stevie Nicks but I don't want to sing just like her cuz then that would make me a poor girl's Stevie.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 07:55:52 PM »
I think the important thing to note is that nothing in the article says he got an actual in person audition with the band, they just asked him to submit more material after his initial submission.

Odds are he never got a call back and is now trying to get his name in the press to renew band interest.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 08:22:01 PM »
You are right about that Blue.  It could just be the anniversary date of when he received that lovely letter.  I just can't imagine as something as important as this for those guys to rush cuz we are talking the rest of their music career.

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 10:17:35 PM »
I think the important thing to note is that nothing in the article says he got an actual in person audition with the band, they just asked him to submit more material after his initial submission.

Odds are he never got a call back and is now trying to get his name in the press to renew band interest.
I think eventually it will come out that some people got better than a call back and auditioned live without knowing. Like a personal visit from STP members. Their fate lies on whether their band sucked the night they were there or not. And if they meet the "criteria".
I think his band, Blacklist Union, is probably doing decent. I heard of them a year ago and didn't realize I had been listening to them, thought it was Buck Cherry until I saw the vids. Lot of it sounds the same. It really is saying something if I heard it here in BFE Indiana. I don't pay much attention to who or what they are unless it really sticks out and grabs me. They aren't bad at all but, totally L.A. to the bone and sound like a lot of other bands that came after GNR and LA GUNS. Not putting them down, just what I see and hear. No guitar solos, stories or poetry in lyrics or hooks that make me want to emotionally or monetarily invest. At another time or place, I could see them being huge. I'm really a cynical dick about that stuff though. A music snob. I miss out on a lot like that. But, I'm trying. Lol.
Josh HUTEYE Hutson

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 11:31:57 PM »
1. Shitty misleading thread title.
2. His version of 'Vasoline' is whiny, and all around awful.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

DrLymphNode

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 12:32:18 AM »
Rock is at an impasse where guys who have something meaningful to say like Bon Iver and Arcade Fire are pretty fucking boring  in general and hard rock bands just don't really seem to have any soul.

I mean Axl Rose, Duff McKagan, and Saul Hudson were legimately tough dudes who grew up under shitty circumstances and their LA brand of hard rock was earnestly powerful, but most of the kinds of bands now seem more like they're just playing dress up and trying to be the next GNR while they aren't working their insurance agent jobs.

Dead Sara was a great LA band but I feel like they totally blew it on their second album by not having their hit single... intentionally from the sounds of it in interviews.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:34:15 AM by DrLymphNode »

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 02:19:54 AM »
most of the kinds of bands now seem more like they're just playing dress up and trying to be the next GNR while they aren't working their insurance agent jobs.

This seems accurate about the state of many rock bands, except I wouldn't even give most of them the credit to hold down an insurance job.

A lot of the guys in these bands nowadays strike me as the spawn of parents who were well-off enough that their kids grew up never really having to worry about working. As they came of age, most of them probably decided that being in a band was the most worthwhile use of their time. Somehow, they were able to squander enough money and exhaust enough connections to make it all happen, despite their lack of genuine talent and passion for music. Some of these guys are grown-ass men, yet their main purpose and drive for being in a band are the same as when they were 16.

I'm not saying this is who Tony West is, just agreeing with the good Dr. about the state of rock. It's pretty discouraging.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 03:17:10 AM »
most of the kinds of bands now seem more like they're just playing dress up and trying to be the next GNR while they aren't working their insurance agent jobs.

This seems accurate about the state of many rock bands, except I wouldn't even give most of them the credit to hold down an insurance job.

A lot of the guys in these bands nowadays strike me as the spawn of parents who were well-off enough that their kids grew up never really having to worry about working. As they came of age, most of them probably decided that being in a band was the most worthwhile use of their time. Somehow, they were able to squander enough money and exhaust enough connections to make it all happen, despite their lack of genuine talent and passion for music. Some of these guys are grown-ass men, yet their main purpose and drive for being in a band are the same as when they were 16.

I'm not saying this is who Tony West is, just agreeing with the good Dr. about the state of rock. It's pretty discouraging.

There are allot of great Rock bands coming out of England especially lately. Great time for Rock music. However Tony J. West should not have been asked for any follow up my recording off my phones live sounded better than this and I put little effort into it comparitively speaking.

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 04:27:01 AM »
There are allot of great Rock bands coming out of England especially lately. Great time for Rock music. However Tony J. West should not have been asked for any follow up my recording off my phones live sounded better than this and I put little effort into it comparitively speaking.
[/quote] I hear that Leocal79. I've really been diggin' on Little Barrie for a while now. The band I'm in covers "Surf Hell" in our little Rockabilly set.
Josh HUTEYE Hutson

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 04:30:23 AM »

I hear that Leocal79. I've really been diggin' on Little Barrie for a while now. The band I'm in covers "Surf Hell" in our little Rockabilly set. "Playing dress up" is exactly what I see and the best I have heard it put so far. I do think there are a lot of spoiled ass kids who don't have to work doing this now. Got to push hard if you are working a 40+ hr work week then loading in, setting up pa, lights then making sure everything looks and sounds right so you can deliver a good product and a memorable performance. Then, tear it down and do it all over again, somewhere else, the next night. You have to love music to do that week in and week out for little or no money.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:37:55 AM by HUTEYE »
Josh HUTEYE Hutson