September 25, 2024, 12:21:46 AM

Author Topic: TONY J. WEST to front STP?  (Read 4769 times)

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: TONY J. WEST to front STP?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 12:41:26 PM »
Just the fact that he jumped the gun and couldn't keep his talks private means he's fucked just like John Borja.

Most of these middle age rawk and roll type dudes who are auditioning for the band really can't seem to keep themselves composed in a professional environment...

I do not understand what you are saying. Every NDA is different and only those in the know can tell if one is violating a contract. As far as Tony J West and John Borja are concerned, they are entitled to do any self-promotion just as much as Mick Blankenship and Jeff Gutt are doing by performing STP songs.

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 06:05:27 PM »
but most of the kinds of bands now seem more like they're just playing dress up and trying to be the next GNR while they aren't working their insurance agent jobs.

Do you wanna know how much bands are earning here in our area?

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 06:27:28 PM »
Just the fact that he jumped the gun and couldn't keep his talks private means he's fucked just like John Borja.

Most of these middle age rawk and roll type dudes who are auditioning for the band really can't seem to keep themselves composed in a professional environment...

I do not understand what you are saying. Every NDA is different and only those in the know can tell if one is violating a contract. As far as Tony J West and John Borja are concerned, they are entitled to do any self-promotion just as much as Mick Blankenship and Jeff Gutt are doing by performing STP songs.

Mick Blankenship never signed an NDA and Jeff Gutt never promoted himself. Blankenship only ever submitted online auditions, and specifically spoke to the press about how they had never even heard of him until the night he got the phone call from Dean giving his blessing for STP2. As for Gutt, his online submissions have never surfaced and he never spoke directly to the press, it was just leaked that he was auditioning and that was likely done by a third party.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »

Mick Blankenship never signed an NDA and Jeff Gutt never promoted himself. Blankenship only ever submitted online auditions, and specifically spoke to the press about how they had never even heard of him until the night he got the phone call from Dean giving his blessing for STP2. As for Gutt, his online submissions have never surfaced and he never spoke directly to the press, it was just leaked that he was auditioning and that was likely done by a third party.

This is quite confusing.  There was even an ET report purportedly claiming Gutt as the new lead singer (which STP denied a day later) so how can this conjecture come to press without anyone telling a story that he auditioned with the band? 

There is a bit of geographical advantage/disadvantage to this.  An American can travel cross-country to audition, and in this case, it  would be easier to pass it off as a "vacation" to mask any "secret" auditions with the band.  For the case of Vilberg and Borja, it is much different. It's not like you can sneak into the US without anyone from your home country questioning or making assumptive comments about your stay in the US. 

Prolly there are 100 more singers out there who know/do not know what's in store for them after STP Management contacted them, whether they performed live with the band, or were instructed to submit demos. 

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:44:11 PM by skunkyfunk »

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 07:23:21 PM »
There are allot of great Rock bands coming out of England especially lately. Great time for Rock music.

I am really digging Lower Than Atlantis and Royal Blood.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 07:26:48 PM »
There are allot of great Rock bands coming out of England especially lately. Great time for Rock music.

Nothing But Thieves is mine.  UK music is really on right now.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 03:18:14 AM »
I actually can't believe that I came here to just to post this, but please God no. This guy sounds like a poor man's Ozzy clone trying to sing testosterone Scott Weiland songs in some kind of scratchy baritone that's actually countertenor.

I almost feel bad for saying it cuz I don't wanna slam the guy, but God no, not for STP.  The band is dead, man.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 03:27:51 AM »

Royal Blood rocks.

Oceansize, Mike Vennart and his Vennart solo album is terrific. British Theatre and Biffy Clyro, even though they're more from Ireland I think.
Take it.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 03:34:59 AM »

Nothing But Thieves is mine.  UK music is really on right now.

Here are a few I have been listening to Band of Skulls new album that is  not crazy about their old stuff. The Temperance Movement both pretty good. But the ones I really love are We Are Harlot kind of an English/American mix. Then there is Inglorious the new Whitesnake/Deep Purple kind of style. Also Raveneye, Aaron Buchanan and  the Cult Classics and the Cruel Knives.One old one but their new album is sick Tygers of Pan Tang.  On the american front we have KXM, American Bombshell, and Mount Holly.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 07:50:27 PM »
Van Halen 'You Really Got Me' showed up on my facebook feed and I can't help but think of when Velvet Revolver singing Van Halen in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and how Scott couldn't pull it off.  That shows his limitations and specific genre of music he can vocally pull off.  Having said that, I think this is where the people who audition fail cuz they place too much emphasis on his vocals when there is more to being a frontman than just vocals.  I think shows like American Idol, The Voice has placed so much emphasis on vocals that you do get that generation of 'let's play dress up' mentality cuz if we look the part then we can rock.

Rock and Metal music is not based on technicality that today's music is primarily made.  It comes from the environment and the creativity of your mind to interpret your surroundings to make music.  That's where these new Rock people fail and why it has become so vanilla and it doesn't grab you mentally and emotionally like music of the past.

8) :-*
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2017, 05:26:22 AM »
Where can I get this live stuff Wesenn? Scotty was more than capable of handling something so benign, no offence to Diamond Dave but, it, wasn't something you have to work on. Had to be a bad night. For whatever reason.
Josh HUTEYE Hutson

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2017, 07:09:32 AM »
Where can I get this live stuff Wesenn? Scotty was more than capable of handling something so benign, no offence to Diamond Dave but, it, wasn't something you have to work on. Had to be a bad night. For whatever reason.

It's not the whole song but I'm not a fan of his rendition, but the guys jammed hard to make up for it.  I know I have seen the whole song before but can't seem to find it right away.  This one is from RnRHF page but only the chorus.  You can tell he tried gotta love him for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTFQQJz_4tc

This one I found just the audio but it's the whole song    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByNtgv3V5qc
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:33:59 AM by Westenn »

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »
I just watched the RRHOF performance if the Van Halen cover. Sonically they're tight, but they do sound like a really great bar cover band. Scott does put his own spin on the song and is not singing it exactly like David Lee Roth, but really who cares? The performance was actually awesome because of the energy! Scott keeps things within his range and is moving all over the place. Reminds me of Core era stage presence. Excellent!

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 06:12:28 PM »
I just listened to it, Scott does a "good enough" job I suppose, but he uses that Bowie-imitation voice he was so fond of in his final years that I was never much a fan of.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2017, 07:06:55 PM »
I'll tell you what I hear.  It's like he took Elvis and Cher vocals and put his own spin on it then decided to take Mick Jagger moves and whack it all out.  It makes me laugh and kinda cringe at the same time, but I still admire his attempt.  In my ears, it is not good.