September 29, 2024, 07:25:56 AM

Author Topic: 2017-04-08 - Long Beach, CA - Dean joins Kings of Chaos (Chester, Robert, etc)  (Read 7460 times)

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Dean joins Kings of Chaos (Chester, Robert, etc) in Long Beach, CA
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2017, 05:36:11 AM »
http://lplive.net/shows/kingsofchaos
There are the setlists so far for Chaos. Chester doesn't sing on all of the songs. They've had Corey Taylor with them too. They want to keep playing this year, even when LP tours. Shouldn't be a problem for Chester. He flew directly from a TV performance in Berlin with LP (April 6th) to LA to rehearse with Kings Of Chaos for this show (April 7th), and played the show the day after that on the 8th. He's also done Halloween with STP in Connecticut and flew directly to Switzerland to open the LP tour a few days later.

Odd no encore, they usually do one. Set looks a good bit shorter than what they play. I believe there is a full audience audio recording in great quality from this show that I can track down for you if you want: http://lplive.net/shows/db/kingsofchaos/20161220

The Whole Lotta Love clip sounds fantastic. I agree about Dean, he has a super clean guitar sound and would have sounded better. I honestly would have let him play lead the whole show since he's a huge guest for them.

My only "complaint" if you can call it that is not enough STP songs in the setlist and too many ZZ Top songs. I like Gibbons a lot but I would have tossed in some more STP for this one especially. I'm surprised no Chester on L.A. Woman as he's covered The Doors before (L.A. Woman, Break On Through, Roadhouse Blues, People Are Strange, Light My Fire) and his top 3 bands are STP, Depeche Mode, and The Doors.

I hope they keep it going - I've yet to catch them as they've only done Vegas + northeast USA + Long Beach.

Hey, is this an accurate list cuz I'm going to bounce off it to do the review.  In my head, I am obviously only going to remember the songs I love but would like to include the names of all the songs.  I'll try to post it here sometime in the next couple of hours.  I uploaded my pictures on one drive so hopefully that's good enough to post it on here.  Anyone, let me know.  Thanks
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2017, 07:24:37 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/audrey.montalban/media_set?set=a.10212722762608185.1073741826.1360371898&type=3

This is the link to the pictures.  Feel free to be able to post them on here instead of clicking the link.  That would help me a lot.  I really don't like technology.

8) :-*

This is my personal review of Kings of Chaos show at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach on April 08, 2017.

It called for rain that day, about 40% chance but the thunderous sounds of rock kept the clouds away that evening.  I was lucky to have arrived just as the band were to perform sound check.  I felt even luckier that I got to sing “alongside” them.  I grew up with ZZ Top and Billy Idol and to sing with some of my heroes was not only sheer pleasure but also an honor.  I was gleaming when Billy Idol thanked me for singing along (I’m sure he was thanking others but it seemed he looked at me so I will take it).  After that sound check teaser, I was planted in my position for a couple of hours.  The show was to begin at 6:00 but there was a delay and the show started around 6:30. There was a rotation of the singers, Chester Bennington, Billy Gibbons and Billy Idol throughout the evening. 

Chester came first with Sex Type Thing and Fire Woman, by Stone Temple Pilots and The Cult respectively.  I followed both bands forever and enjoyed singing along with Chester, even if I couldn’t remember all the words, I love those songs.

Billy Gibbons strutted in to sing Sharp Dressed Man, Foxy Lady (Jimi Hendrix), and La Grange.  I love La Grange, to hear it live just reminds me why it’s one of my all-time favorites from ZZ Top. 

Billy Idol needs no introduction. Knowing once he hits the stage, you’re in for a ride.  He sang his staple crowd favorites, White Wedding, Shakin’ All Over (I think it’s a cover Johnny Kidd & the Pirates), and Dancing with Myself.  I never had a chance to see him and I’m glad I finally did.  He was one of my favorite singers in my youth.

They called Chester back to perform STP’s staple Interstate Love Song, The Cult’s She Sells Sanctuary.  The highlight song of the evening for me was the performance of Led Zeppelin’s Whole Lotta Love.  Led Zeppelin and that song was the reason why I wanted to live and breathe in Rock and Roll.  That was the stand-out performance musically for the band consisting of Matt Sorum, Dean DeLeo, Robert DeLeo and Billy Duffy and why when you have Rock and Roll, peace and love go along with it.  The energy was riveting. I sang my heart out and for one pocket moment Chester stood in front of me and how we both hit that one note with that ‘chime’ you hear when you are in harmony; is the way life should be.  It was so beautiful to watch those guys play their heart and soul out on that stage. You had to be there and witness it through my eyes, the pure love of music.

Chester followed up with Billy Gibbons to perform a couple of songs together, Waitin’ for the Bus, Jesus Just Left Chicago and Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers.  I love the song Tush and am very glad they played that song.  I loved watching Billy Gibbons play guitar.  He’s so cool in my Rock Book.

Billy Idol closed the evening with The Doors La Woman and Rebel Yell.  For that moment of time, Kings of Chaos made you forget all the problems of the World.  The unity and soul love outpouring not only from the band but also from the audience proves time and time again how Rock Music should be in everyone’s life. Sadly, the night had to end.  There were no encores but as I headed back on the train to LA, you can hear the random crowds singing Rebel Yell and the reason why Rock will never die.  Peace, Love and Rock n Roll.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:04:06 AM by Westenn »

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2017, 08:41:06 PM »
Thanks so much for the review Westenn! Absolutely great! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhMsZjE6r6A This is an interview from Jonesy's Toy Box, earlier in the day and the other is, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhMsZjE6r6A live footage from "Dancin' With Myself" and the 3rd, link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K957tOu5CLw is pretty good footage of "White Wedding".  I wish there was more footage.
Josh HUTEYE Hutson

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2017, 09:12:51 PM »
Thanks so much for the review Westenn! Absolutely great! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhMsZjE6r6A This is an interview from Jonesy's Toy Box, earlier in the day and the other is, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhMsZjE6r6A live footage from "Dancin' With Myself" and the 3rd, link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K957tOu5CLw is pretty good footage of "White Wedding".  I wish there was more footage.

Thanks Huteye.  I wish Dean would have gone rogue and just wailed on his guitar.  It looked like he wanted to and I'm sure he misses doing so.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2017, 10:49:54 PM »

Second link goes to the same vid as the first, but the link I posted earlier works:

Dancing With Myself w/Billy Idol

STT w/Chester (snippet)

Thanks Huteye.  I wish Dean would have gone rogue and just wailed on his guitar.  It looked like he wanted to and I'm sure he misses doing so.

I think Dean is less prone to improvisation these days, and with them having rehearsed with Duffy on lead he's just kind of stuck on rhythm. At least they could play something like Silvergun Superman or Long Way Home where he could play his own epic solos. Even just Meatplow.

I know I keep saying this, but I wish they'd bring Dave Kushner in on rhythm and promote Dean to lead... Maybe mostly just stick to Chester on vocals and focus on STP, VR, G'n'R and some Zeppelin material.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »
I can't remember Chester's exact words but when they introduced him on stage, he spoke of how much LP is important to him and basically anything else is just for fun guessing if he has the time.

While Dean and Robert had fun, I can only imagine that they would like to move forward w/ STP...it just seemed that way to me.  The whole thing is while it sounded like a good idea at the time taking Chester in, they were sitting around waiting for Chester and isn't that what they were doing w/ Scott...sitting around waiting for Scott.  I'm pretty sure they are tired of waiting around for people cuz I know if I were in their shoes, I would be so tired of waiting for people.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2017, 08:51:44 PM »
I can't remember Chester's exact words but when they introduced him on stage, he spoke of how much LP is important to him and basically anything else is just for fun guessing if he has the time.

While Dean and Robert had fun, I can only imagine that they would like to move forward w/ STP...it just seemed that way to me.  The whole thing is while it sounded like a good idea at the time taking Chester in, they were sitting around waiting for Chester and isn't that what they were doing w/ Scott...sitting around waiting for Scott.  I'm pretty sure they are tired of waiting around for people cuz I know if I were in their shoes, I would be so tired of waiting for people.

I don't know if that's entirely the case. They went from having almost an entire album recorded and a world tour on the horizon with Chester, to sifting through amateur submission for an entire year. The situation with Chester wasn't entirely ideal, but they were far better off then than they are now. They have spent much more time waiting around doing nothing during this singer search than they ever did with Chester.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2017, 10:36:50 PM »

I don't know if that's entirely the case. They went from having almost an entire album recorded and a world tour on the horizon with Chester, to sifting through amateur submission for an entire year. The situation with Chester wasn't entirely ideal, but they were far better off then than they are now. They have spent much more time waiting around doing nothing during this singer search than they ever did with Chester.

All I'm saying is w/out getting all into it is Chester expressed how LP is his number one focus and it is done between STP and him was the 'between the lines message' whether I'm right or wrong the bottom line is they are done.  As far as the singer search if all they have are those guys on the internet pushing themselves as a finalist, it is clear they are at a dead end and that is not to say they don't have anyone but I feel that they need to seriously take their time in finding someone cuz if the next singer bombs then they are done as a band and they will have to take whatever jobs are out there to make a living.  Those two situations are completely night and day, apples and oranges if you will.  It's not just STP, it's the entire Rock community.  Not many singers can pull off what Scott can do and that is what makes him so unique but it also is a curse cuz they have to find someone who can do that and how many professionals can you think of that can pull it off?  I'm sure Chester can't pull off all the songs and do you want Chester to have a stroke just for the sake of him touring w/ multiple bands to satisfy a fan need?  I read an article that one of the reasons was cuz his family was starting to fall apart due to all the time he was spending w/ both STP and LP.  It's the reality of life and again people putting these guys on pedestals impossible to stand on.  I want STP to thrive just as the next person but the honest truth is they are having a difficult time if you judge by the so-called finalists?  Also though if a couple of thousand auditioned that's a lot to go through and I would want to be thorough, if that were my band.  Is all I'm saying...not trying to start anything...not saying I'm right in my thoughts...just having conversation...   :)

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2017, 11:37:48 PM »
Here’s a good conversation to the flow.  A long time ago, I saw this interview w/ Jimi Hendrix about his views on his Fame.  He basically stated how fame sets an artist up for failure.  Every artist reaches a peak, like a mountain, but the goal isn’t to stay on top but to level it out so you can live.  If you don’t, you are sure to fall.  People expect you to fall since they expect more.  Here he spoke of some experiences about audiences yelling at him to do more and how he really isn’t as great as everyone said he was, but all he was doing was what was in his heart and soul at the time of the performance.  He never wanted to be that great guy, just someone who makes a living doing what he loves, music but w/ fame comes the pressure to perform more do more to satisfy an unending hunger people need to fulfill their empty lives to fill the pockets of those who exploit you.  Pretty interesting anyway.  I haven’t seen it anymore but that’s what I got out of it.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »
Every artist reaches a peak, like a mountain, but the goal isn’t to stay on top but to level it out so you can live.

What was Scott's artistic peak?

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2017, 05:52:42 PM »
Every artist reaches a peak, like a mountain, but the goal isn’t to stay on top but to level it out so you can live.

What was Scott's artistic peak?

For myself watching him since 1993, I would have to say the No. 4 Album.  I think in Shangri, the music out weighed the lyrics.  I say that cuz the lyrics seemed too distant and comparing lyrically when he wrote under the muse of Janina vs. Mary, the lyrics due to Janina showed more soul -depth vs. Mary where it seemed too whiny (meaning I would think 'dump her already' vs. Janina, you felt his love, pain etc)  Artistically would include all music, solo, w/ STP what was that 1993-2000.

Any work beyond that I feel was he experienced enough to write anything whether there was an actual muse or not. That would include 2000-2010 Self-Titled and his solo efforts.

Art of Anarchy and Blaster, I feel was his challenges past his peak even though I believe he used Mary as his muse on AOA.  Blaster was a combination of all his girls even though he listed Jamie as the muse; it was a combination.  I also feel he had difficulty writing Blaster due to his obvious situation which would make any artist struggle.

So with that, would today's music affect those in that time period their ability to create music today? Meaning, I read this article where basically anyone can write a pop song since they use the same 4 chords which is why pop music is ahead of the game vs. rock.  If it's the same 4 chords then really everyone can listen to it, enjoy it the only difference between the pop songs are the artist you are looking at and the lyrics change.  Music has become a look at me wearing nice clothes or not wearing clothes and dancing around while you listen to the same music hypnotically cuz it's the same 4 chords.  You can date those same chords back in the 80's.

Let's take STP vs Pearl Jam.  When you listen for two hours; w/ STP you go on a musical journey.  Pearl Jam you get two hours of Pearl Jam.  That's what makes that band have longevity, they play it safe so to speak.