September 29, 2024, 09:22:05 AM

Author Topic: 2017-04-08 - Long Beach, CA - Dean joins Kings of Chaos (Chester, Robert, etc)  (Read 7466 times)

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Dean joins Kings of Chaos (Chester, Robert, etc) in Long Beach, CA
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 05:12:23 AM »
I'm going since it's just a hop on the Blue Line to Long Beach.  I'm pretty excited to see Billy Gibbons.  I never had a chance to see ZZ Top ever so I'm pretty stoked on that.  They say the show was free to having a race ticket so paying $64 bucks is a great deal to me to see all those guys jam.

8) :-*
Nice Westenn, I've been trying to goad my buddies from Long Beach into going but, I think they are gigging that night. Im stuck in Indiana that week  :(  Check out "PUMP 5" or "THE POORBOYS" (reunion) sometime if you get a chance.

Man, I gotta tell you, I googled that band but I clicked on the wrong video and I'm like, "Is this guy for real?  This is horrible".  Then I realized it was the wrong band and I think I found it
http://www.pump5band.com/   I'm guessing this was what you were referring to and I will say that it totally reminds me of when I lived in South Florida and used to go to a bar called 'Button South' and 'The Treehouse' when Saigon Kick used to play.

LOL! There isn't much good video of Pump 5 out there yet. The Poorboys, which had a few members in common, had Vids on Mtv and are sometimes credited as pioneering the "Matchbox 20 sound", till this lil band called NIRVANA showed up and upset the whole apple cart. Phil Varone used to live here in my hometown of Terre Haute and actually brought the "hot wing" craze to this little town. An old drummer in an early band, pal-ed around with him. I think early forms of Marilyn Manson/ Brian Warner projects came out of those same south florida bars. Used to hear lots of cool stories from Varone at his wing shop.

I forgot Matchbox 20 was from FLA.  Yeah, I remember hearing something about Marilyn Manson living or just doing music business in FLA.  I really don't remember cuz the person telling me that was supposedly relatives w/ Dave Navarro so he had many stories.  Cool
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 06:51:04 AM »
I forgot MB20 was from Fla. One of the original guitarists is from around my way too. Kyle Cook.
Josh HUTEYE Hutson

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 09:54:34 PM »
I forgot MB20 was from Fla. One of the original guitarists is from around my way too. Kyle Cook.

It truly is a small world, even smaller in the Rock World.  That's how I got to know Scott.  He and I had a mutual friend and he then found out he (Scott) was a major influence to my songwriting and overall creativity.

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 02:15:12 AM »
Definitely a small world. Even smaller with the net. Do you have any tunes out there to listen to?
Josh HUTEYE Hutson

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 06:44:40 AM »
Definitely a small world. Even smaller with the net. Do you have any tunes out there to listen to?

I wish I did but my reality is I can't compose music so I write to retain what comes in my head whether it is guitar riffs or drum beats (my dad is a drummer).  Sometimes whole songs come to my head music and lyrics.  It really depends.  I write punk, rock, pop, country (I was raised in North Carolina)  I try to write metal and thrash.  I have a lot of lyrics and some are in a broken computer, kinda makes me a terrible songwriter lol.  My lyrics are kinda everywhere in notebooks, computer, napkins.  I don't necessarily write them for me to sing.  There are some that I think of an artist in mind but then again, it just really depends since creativity is and ebb and flow nature.

I try to play guitar but I'm one of those that needs someone on my back.  I did play clarinet so I do have basic music theory.  I was really good.  My teacher said I was a natural.  I remember I was trying to learn 'Crazy Train' on it.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 02:56:36 PM »
I forgot MB20 was from Fla.

When I was in high school, I worked at a bowling alley that Rob Thomas's mom frequented. She would often get wasted and get in these silly spats with the staff there. One time, she came to me and said she thinks the bartender threw her cigarette holder in the trash and that she'll give me $20 to go in the back and find it in the trash bin. I went in the back and found the trash bin in question, which was gross because it had all the trash from both the bar and snack bar. I carefully moved around a few napkins on the surface, stood around in the back for a few minutes, then went back out and told her I couldn't find it. She still gave me the $20.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 06:36:56 AM »

When I was in high school, I worked at a bowling alley that Rob Thomas's mom frequented. She would often get wasted and get in these silly spats with the staff there. One time, she came to me and said she thinks the bartender threw her cigarette holder in the trash and that she'll give me $20 to go in the back and find it in the trash bin. I went in the back and found the trash bin in question, which was gross because it had all the trash from both the bar and snack bar. I carefully moved around a few napkins on the surface, stood around in the back for a few minutes, then went back out and told her I couldn't find it. She still gave me the $20.

How do you know it was his mom?

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 10:42:57 PM »

How do you know it was his mom?

Some of the people who frequented the bowling alley knew her personally. It was her hometown and mine: Apopka, FL. She was as close as we had to a local celebrity. (Warren Sapp is from Apopka too, but he doesn't live there anymore.) She was a friendly, funny lady, just always drunk. She died years ago; I don't know why. I think the MB20 song "3AM" is about her.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 07:42:00 AM »
Hey, I just came back from this show & it rocked to high hell.  I gave them as much love, passion and energy I could give which really isn't that hard since I love music more than anything.  I give you details sometime tomorrow w/ some pictures.  I may have to set up a album on my facebook and send a link.  I got super lucky and got the rail but the pit was pretty wide cuz they needed room for media and VIP. I was still pretty close and even luckier, I got to see them do sound check.

One thing I did not like was one of the announcers named everyone but Dean and Robert and while I forget his exact words he basically said and the others which I thought was really disrespectful but I yelled STP like all the time to show my love and support for them. For the record everybody around me knew Dean and Robert but were asking me who Matt, Billy Duffy were. Oh and one guy was saying I like that one Linkin Park song, "Leaving on a Southern Train".  I'm like, "No. the song is Interstate Love Song by STP"  lol

hahninator

• Pilot
  • Read between the lines...
    • View Profile
    • LPLive
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 03:54:03 PM »
Sounds like you had a blast. If you're interested in writing a few paragraphs for a review or anything (pics, etc) we'd be glad to post it on LPLive. A lot of our social media yesterday got the comments saying "that's real rock and roll", etc after LP has released pop music lately. Looked like a great show - hate that I haven't gotten to see these guys.

How was Dean? I bet the vibes between he and Robert on stage again together were cool.

Is this set correct? http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kings-of-chaos/2017/toyota-grand-prix-of-long-beach-long-beach-ca-2be6f40e.html

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 06:20:59 PM »
White Wedding w/Billy Idol

Unfortunately it looks like Dean's playing second fiddle to Duffy, at least on this track. His leads would probably be cleaner.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:23:26 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 06:41:34 PM »
Sounds like you had a blast. If you're interested in writing a few paragraphs for a review or anything (pics, etc) we'd be glad to post it on LPLive. A lot of our social media yesterday got the comments saying "that's real rock and roll", etc after LP has released pop music lately. Looked like a great show - hate that I haven't gotten to see these guys.

How was Dean? I bet the vibes between he and Robert on stage again together were cool.

Is this set correct? http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kings-of-chaos/2017/toyota-grand-prix-of-long-beach-long-beach-ca-2be6f40e.html

Sure.  I can put a nice flow to the review for you.  You guys know I'm not that big fan of Chester, but I do respect him as a singer and he did a great job.  He was definitely the main singer since Gibbons is mostly a blues rock singer and guitarist and Billy Idol is just awesome.  His stage persona is great.

Yeah, the set list looks about right.  There was no encore but Chester left before the show ended for I don't know what reasons, mid-tour maybe w/ LP? or if it's the venue that made them not do an encore.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:47:32 PM by Westenn »

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 06:44:12 PM »
White Wedding w/Billy Idol

Unfortunately it looks like Dean's playing second fiddle to Duffy, at least on this track. His leads would probably be cleaner.

Duffy was for sure the lead guitarist and Dean did get his moments but I really wish they would have given him more but I don't know if it's cuz they put him in late if that would have been the reason.  Hopefully Whole Lotta Love will show up, they did a fantastic job on that one.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Grab the hate and drown it out...

hahninator

• Pilot
  • Read between the lines...
    • View Profile
    • LPLive
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 03:00:40 AM »
http://lplive.net/shows/kingsofchaos
There are the setlists so far for Chaos. Chester doesn't sing on all of the songs. They've had Corey Taylor with them too. They want to keep playing this year, even when LP tours. Shouldn't be a problem for Chester. He flew directly from a TV performance in Berlin with LP (April 6th) to LA to rehearse with Kings Of Chaos for this show (April 7th), and played the show the day after that on the 8th. He's also done Halloween with STP in Connecticut and flew directly to Switzerland to open the LP tour a few days later.

Odd no encore, they usually do one. Set looks a good bit shorter than what they play. I believe there is a full audience audio recording in great quality from this show that I can track down for you if you want: http://lplive.net/shows/db/kingsofchaos/20161220

The Whole Lotta Love clip sounds fantastic. I agree about Dean, he has a super clean guitar sound and would have sounded better. I honestly would have let him play lead the whole show since he's a huge guest for them.

My only "complaint" if you can call it that is not enough STP songs in the setlist and too many ZZ Top songs. I like Gibbons a lot but I would have tossed in some more STP for this one especially. I'm surprised no Chester on L.A. Woman as he's covered The Doors before (L.A. Woman, Break On Through, Roadhouse Blues, People Are Strange, Light My Fire) and his top 3 bands are STP, Depeche Mode, and The Doors.

I hope they keep it going - I've yet to catch them as they've only done Vegas + northeast USA + Long Beach.