September 29, 2024, 05:27:26 AM

Author Topic: Exclude any song on albums  (Read 5671 times)

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Exclude any song on albums
« on: October 14, 2016, 10:08:15 AM »
Which songs would you like to exclude from STP albums?
I'd choose "Ride The Cliche" on "Tiny Music", I think this song, in my humble opinion, is faceless and pale. It doesn't give anything new comparing to other songs from "Tiny Music". I'm afraid it sounds just like another variation on the theme of album, just like "another one" and nothing more.

The only great moment, I guess, is guitar solo - it sounds entertaining and a bit tricky.

Share your opinion, please.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 10:29:53 AM by Alex »

Artschoolgirlfriendyeah

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Exclude any song on albums
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 10:47:34 AM »
I'd choose "Ride The Cliche" on "Tiny Music", I think this song, in my humble opinion, is faceless and pale. It doesn't give anything new comparing to other songs from "Tiny Music". I'm afraid it sounds just like another variation on the theme of album, just like "another one" and nothing more.

The only great moment, I guess, is guitar solo - it sounds entertaining and a bit tricky.

Booooo! It's my favorite track from that album. That and LPS. I used to skip MC5 all the time, but it grew on me lately. Still my least favorite out of alll the songs from the first 5 records.

I-want-a-time-machine

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 01:42:18 PM »
I agree with both suggestions, Ride the Cliche and MC5, would like to add Song for Sleeping (to be replaced with about a fool) to that.
half the art school girl she used to be...

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 01:48:07 PM »

Share your opinion, please.

This is always a more interesting conversation than naming your favorite song off an album.

"Ride the Cliche" is one of my favorites off that album.  I would get rid of "Daisy" if I had to lop a song off that album.

Core - This is probably cheating, but since this was so hard I would get rid of "Wet My Bed" (they list it as a song).

Purple - Fuuuuuuuck.  "Army Ants". 

No. 4 - "MC5"

SLDD - "Transmissions from a Lonely Room"

Self Titled - Almost any of them.  I still haven't been able to get into this album.  That riff in "Huckleberry Crumble" is real stupid.

Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 02:13:35 PM »
Man, Ride the Cliche is dope.  Love that song.  Awesome guitar solo, fun to drum to, sweet bass line (tone also).

Exclusions for me (Disclaimer: it's not like I don't like these songs, I just tend to skip them):
Core
'Wet my Bed' is natural pick for me.

Purple:
'Unglued'.  Bit too punk-rockish and simple for my taste

Tiny:
'Art School Girl'.  Being sandwiched between Trippin' and Adhesive it completely takes me out of the headgame of the entire album. Its cheesy and jumped the shark.  It's like the cousin of Hickory Dichotomy in terms of silliness and Scott doing a funny singing voice.  In it's defense the drums and bass for the verses are great.

No.4:
'Pruno'.  This was a toss up, but I never could truly get into the song because of Scott's vocals.  I always thought the '1,2,3,....take it away boyzzzzz' part was cheesy.  It doesn't have the authenticity or seriousness of some of the other rockers.

'Church on Tuesday'.  It's got a good vibe but it doesn't seem to go anywhere.  I wait for it to build up but it never reaches a climax.

'Sex and Violence'.  Like Unglued, it has the punk vibe which doesn't appeal to me.  Also the mix is horrendous.  If you listen to it on headphones the treble makes my ears bleed.

SLDD:
'Hollywood Bitch'.  Sounded uninspired to me.  The pre-chorus and chorus sound like forced copped out ideas and don't blend very well with the main riff.  Like Church on Tuesday, I keep waiting for the climax but get blue-balled.  There is that 1992 SNL warm-up video on youtube that shows the early origins of this riff. I much prefer that version.

'Too Cool Queenie'.  This is like the 'Art School Girl' of SLDD.  I listen to the lyrics and it completely breaks the immersion of the song.  Music is good.  I do like the video of them at the mansion playing it on the Greatest Hits DVD.

'Song for Sleeping'.   Should have been on his solo record or something. No offense to Noah.  If its an ode to a 'son' I much prefer 'Son' from 12BB.  Love that guitar solo in this song though.

Self-Titled:
All of the songs.  I don't know if it's my age and I'm comparing it to their old stuff, but I still cannot get into this album.  I never have the inkling to re-listen to any of the songs on this record until 6 months to a year pass and I think to myself "You know I never really did give that album a chance, maybe I'll like it now" and then I put it back on for the umphteenth time and realize my opinion hasn't changed.  It's not bad, its just forgettable.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:41:41 PM by Flyingmerpa »

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 02:40:13 PM »
Man, Ride the Cliche is dope.  Love that song.  Awesome guitar solo, fun to drum to, sweet bass line (tone also).

Exclusions for me (Disclaimer: it's not like I don't like these songs, I just tend to skip them):
Core
'Wet my Bed' is natural pick for me.

Purple:
'Unglued'.  Bit too punk-rockish and simple for my taste

Tiny:
'Art School Girl'.  Being sandwiched between Trippin' and Adhesive it completely takes me out of the headgame of the entire album. Its cheesy and jumped the shark.  It's like the cousin of Hickory Dichotomy in terms of silliness and Scott doing a funny singing voice.  In it's defense the drums and bass for the verses are great.

No.4:
'Pruno'.  This was a toss up, but I never could truly get into the song because of Scott's vocals.  I always thought the '1,2,3,....take it away boyzzzzz' part was cheesy.  It doesn't have the authenticity or seriousness of some of the other rockers.

'Church on Tuesday'.  It's got a good vibe but it doesn't seem to go anywhere.  I wait for it to build up but it never reaches a climax.

'Sex and Violence'.  Like Unplugged, it has the punk vibe which doesn't appeal to me.  Also the mix is horrendous.  If you listen to it on headphones the treble makes my ears bleed.

SLDD:
'Hollywood Bitch'.  Sounded uninspired to me.  The pre-chorus and chorus sound like forced copped out ideas and don't blend very well with the main riff.  Like Church on Tuesday, I keep waiting for the climax but get blue-balled.  There is that 1992 SNL warm-up video on youtube that shows the early origins of this riff. I much prefer that version.

'Too Cool Queenie'.  This is like the 'Art School Girl' of SLDD.  I listen to the lyrics and it completely breaks the immersion of the song.  Music is good.  I do like the video of them at the mansion playing it on the Greatest Hits DVD.

'Song for Sleeping'.   Should have been on his solo record or something. No offense to Noah.  If its an ode to a 'son' I much prefer 'Son' from 12BB.  Love that guitar solo in this song though.

Self-Titled:
All of the songs.  I don't know if it's my age and I'm comparing it to their old stuff, but I still cannot get into this album.  I never have the inkling to re-listen to any of the songs on this record until 6 months to a year pass and I think to myself "You know I never really did give that album a chance, maybe I'll like it now" and then I put it back on for the umphteenth time and realize my opinion hasn't changed.  It's not bad, its just forgettable.

I like all the honest opinions here.  I don't agree with all of it, but it's refreshing to hear that STP aren't perfect.

I totally agree with you about Self-Titled.  I have the same six month "maybe I should give that album a chance" routine.  I put it on and I like "Between the Lines", so I keep going and while "Take a Load off" has a great chorus IMO the rest of the album can't hold my attention.

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 04:37:32 PM »
Well, talking about Self-titled, I don't even consider it as a real STP album. The time has gone, the magic has gone, it's not even close to their first albums. It's something completely other...
So for me, Self-Titled is just a bunch of additional songs, to their old catalogue. You may like Self-Titled or hate it, you must just realize this isn't the same band, that was a "man-fueled rocket" (Billy Corgan words) in early or mid 90s. That's the thing. That's why I won't even talk about Self Titled. However I like several songs there though. I won't say any bad words. It was a good, solid attempt. But no inspiration... Just no comments.

Purple:'Unglued'.  Bit too punk-rockish and simple for my taste

Wow it's one of my favourites!

At first, I didn't like this song at all and would love to exclude it, but soon I really got into it. Give it a second chance  :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:54:59 PM by Alex »

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 05:38:25 PM »
Core - Wet My Bed, obviously.

Purple - Lounge Fly, it doesn't have much flow or a very memorable chorus.

TM - Daisy, there's not a bad song on Tiny Music. Ride the Cliche has a great riff and guitar playing in general. Daisy is a little bland to me, I much prefer Press Play.

No. 4 - MC5, too busy, just not a good song. It seems to be a filler to me.

SLDD - Bi-Polar Bear

S/T - ......

And who in their right mind excludes Transmissions!?!? Such an underrated song...one day they'll play it live I hope.

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 05:50:51 PM »

TM - Daisy, there's not a bad song on Tiny Music. Ride the Cliche has a great riff and guitar playing in general. Daisy is a little bland to me, I much prefer Press Play.

I think there are no bad tracks on Core or Purple. "Wet my bed" is a good psychedelic interlude, Scott's voice emits coolness  8)  his own coolness. Also I like the guitar sound there - it's a bit retro, and that's why it fits perfectly to STP style and sound!

Lounge Fly for me is a personal masterpiece. Such a clod of darkness... infernal song. But you need to feel those feelings to understand it.

Daisy - sounds terribly lovely  :)  it such a retro, old thing, which gives "Tiny Music" again that vintage taste and vibe... It's on it's place.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 07:27:57 PM »
Core - Where the River Goes: In an album full of amazing rock song, this one just falls short for me. It's more than a little derivative of When the Levee Breaks, and doesn't have enough changes to justify the playtime, IMO. And I feel Piece of Pie would have been a better closer.

Purple - My Second Album: Purple is a masterpiece... Therefore the most expendable track is the joke song. Gun to my head, I'd pick Unglued if I had remove a track. But you'd actually have to put a gun to my head.

Tiny Music - Art School Girl: Don't get me wrong, I love tracks like this  that show the bands' diversity and humor, but just like with Puple, in an album full of amazing tracks I have to go with the least serious track for removal.

No. 4 - MC5: There are songs I regret them never playing live... This isn't one of them. It would be pretty inconsequential if it was removed from STP's catalog.

SLDD - A Song for Sleeping: a beautiful song, but it just feels out of place in STP's catalog since it's so personal to Scott. I would rather they had put Samba Nova on the album, which I think is one of the best songs they ever wrote and would have felt more in place in the album.

S/T - Bagman: The slinky style of the riff is pretty cool, but that's about all this song has going for it.

High Rise - Cry Cry: In my opinion High Rise is highly underrated instrumentally, the songs are almost all much stronger instrumentals than we got in S/T. All except Cry, Cry. They would have been so much better off if they could have waited a year until they had 6 or 7 more songs, and released a full album with everything but Cry, Cry.

Blasphemy.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:43:28 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 08:22:29 PM »
Well, talking about Self-titled, I don't even consider it as a real STP album. The time has gone, the magic has gone, it's not even close to their first albums. It's something completely other...
So for me, Self-Titled is just a bunch of additional songs, to their old catalogue. You may like Self-Titled or hate it, you must just realize this isn't the same band, that was a "man-fueled rocket" (Billy Corgan words) in early or mid 90s. That's the thing. That's why I won't even talk about Self Titled. However I like several songs there though. I won't say any bad words. It was a good, solid attempt. But no inspiration... Just no comments.

Purple:'Unglued'.  Bit too punk-rockish and simple for my taste

Wow it's one of my favourites!

At first, I didn't like this song at all and would love to exclude it, but soon I really got into it. Give it a second chance  :)

What song would you cut off Purple?

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 08:24:27 PM »

No. 4 - MC5, too busy, just not a good song. It seems to be a filler to me.

SLDD - Bi-Polar Bear

S/T - ......

And who in their right mind excludes Transmissions!?!? Such an underrated song...one day they'll play it live I hope.

Hahaha!  I had to exclude something!  I could never take "Bi-Polar Bear" off SLDD.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 10:24:08 PM »

SLDD - Bi-Polar Bear

Hahaha!  I had to exclude something!  I could never take "Bi-Polar Bear" off SLDD.

SLDD a song for sleeping. that song goes nowhere fast.

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 11:43:28 PM »

What song would you cut off Purple?

They all are so good, that  probably cut off "Hidden track"  ;D ;D
Okay, if I have to choose from other tracks... probably "Pretty Penny".

Core - Where the River Goes: In an album full of amazing rock song, this one just falls short for me. It's more than a little derivative of When the Levee Breaks, and doesn't have enough changes to justify the playtime, IMO. And I feel Piece of Pie would have been a better closer.
Which one do you prefer - MJY version or Core?

Blasphemy.

Indeed!!

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 01:53:46 AM »
Which one do you prefer - MJY version or Core?

Where the River Goes? I actually much prefer the demo version, oddly. It has a little more of a funk edge to it.
Grab the hate and drown it out...