September 29, 2024, 05:28:35 AM

Author Topic: Realistic  (Read 4004 times)

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
Realistic
« on: October 09, 2016, 09:53:31 PM »
Ok, lets say STP actually names a singer sometime in the next few years... Being totally honest, how successful do you imagine "Stone Temple Pilots" can be again?

...do they have a top 40 left in them?, do they have the ability to play larger venues on a consistent basis, or do they start playing smaller clubs, or just joing some different festivals throughout the summers?

I'm just trying to create some sort of discussion about this band (or whats left of it) which we have admired for so long...

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 11:08:41 PM »

In all honesty in my heart i know i could write a song with them that would shine, but the chances are slim. So to be more rounded i think they should do the shows like Voodoo Fest, Hangout Fest, Summerfest. Summer and Spring feestivals i think would do well. I have to be honest, i wish i could write with them. This isn't about me and i am sorry to mention it but i love writing and feel that is what they will need the most. I can be that guy 😀😀😀

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »

Bruce just needs to get Robert drunk and pitch him , haha

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 12:56:23 AM »

do they have the ability to play larger venues on a consistent basis, or do they start playing smaller clubs, or just joing some different festivals throughout the summers?

that was pretty much their existence from 2011-2012 with Scott anyways. the question is, if the new singer can write some good songs with them. they aren't going to start playing larger venues playing the old stuff over and over.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 05:35:18 AM »
As much as I might not like this, I can admit it.  Considering the hand we've all been dealt I doubt STP will ever truly have another singer that fills all voids.  While I have defended what I believe to be their right to use the STP name sans Scott in the past, I also as a fan feel that it truly isn't STP without even one of the original four guys.

As far as musical relevance goes.... If they ever do find a guy to sing then I feel as though their first single might attract some attention for a second from whatever is currently called "alternative rock radio". It would be more out of curiosity than anything though, kind of like why people slow down on the highway to see a car wreck.  Time has passed STP by, and by just merely completing a formula I feel they have zero chance at musical relevance and being cutting edge in 2016 or beyond.  They'll just be a nostalgia act that just so happens to have a new record.

Sure they will continue to play shows; probably some fests here and there and some House Of Blues sized venues or perhaps a little smaller as time carries on[size=78%], but that's about it.[/size]

Now...... I feel this CAN all change somewhat IF the band changes course and picks a girl.  As much as I don't necessarily like Lady Gaga's music, I will admit, she would be interesting enough in a live setting to where this band would get some buzz and interest,  I could also see her being beneficial for getting new material in rotation and product placement.

Or they could pick an unknown girl.  That could be just as interesting artistically, though perhaps not quite as successful commercially. Yet an unknown girl could give them a little street cred again.

That's my two cents on the matter.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 10:20:47 AM »
I imagine they'll continue to have solid rock radio hits, make good money on the smaller festival circuit, and play half way down the bill at larger festivals, and sell out 1000 - 2000 seat venues on their own as long as they don't tour too much.

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 06:18:56 PM »
The rock music scene isnt popular anymore. There are still bands that have a huge following that can sell out arena's and still be very succesful but they arnt selling 3 million records anymore. STP still has a decent following. They are going to sell out the smaller venues and continue to make a great living. If they can find someone that sounds like Scott maybe even have a nice radio hit or two. Dean & Rob are great song writers. in order for their music to appeal to the younger generation they will have to come it with loud guitars with something that sounds like it was on Core. The poppier beatles like songs arnt going to take them anywhere but the rest home

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 12:40:49 PM »
For what it's worth, any band that decides to get a new lead singer will face that challenge of bringing a massive hit to the masses, and not just some contrived chart-topper that can be bought with payolas.  It is rampant in the pop scene, and you will prolly forget about today's hits 20 years from now unless you look hard for the really good ones.

We should look into is the success of bands like AC/DC that brought forth "Back in Black" and "Shook Me All Night Long" when Brian Johnson stepped in, Van Halen with "Dreams" and "Why Can't This Be Love" when Hagar debuted with them. If STP comes up with something as huge as Plush or Interstate in 2017, it will be vindicating for the band, the new singer, and for the real fans.  Really looking forward to it. ;)

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »
For what it's worth, any band that decides to get a new lead singer will face that challenge of bringing a massive hit to the masses, and not just some contrived chart-topper that can be bought with payolas.  It is rampant in the pop scene, and you will prolly forget about today's hits 20 years from now unless you look hard for the really good ones.

We should look into is the success of bands like AC/DC that brought forth "Back in Black" and "Shook Me All Night Long" when Brian Johnson stepped in, Van Halen with "Dreams" and "Why Can't This Be Love" when Hagar debuted with them. If STP comes up with something as huge as Plush or Interstate in 2017, it will be vindicating for the band, the new singer, and for the real fans.  Really looking forward to it. ;)

STP is not the level that AC/DC, or Van Halen were or are.

I'd say there's pretty much no way to compare these bands.  Van Halen and AC/DC were so massive that there were a lot more people that were gonna listen regardless.  How many people even know STP released an album in 2010. 
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 02:25:37 PM »

STP is not the level that AC/DC, or Van Halen were or are.

I'd say there's pretty much no way to compare these bands.  Van Halen and AC/DC were so massive that there were a lot more people that were gonna listen regardless.  How many people even know STP released an album in 2010.

Completely agree.

Stp hasn't been relevant since sour girl if anyone wants to be honest. Sour girl was a big time for this band too. Sure there have been moments here and there where stp made an entertainment headline, but it wasn't really a big deal since the 90s. As sad as it is a lot of young ones probably don't even know what stone temple pilots is.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 11:19:19 PM »
What's sad is that STP had the ingredients to be a really great band with a legacy like AC/DC or Van Halen. They are like the Tracy McGrady of rock music; they had all the talent and potential to become one of the greats but just kept getting hit with one tough break after another, some which were their own faults (Scott's drug issues), some that weren't (poor management, changing music industry).

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 12:48:06 PM »
Realistically...

Robert & Dean are greedy fucks who are delusional to think that STP is just as good, regardless of who's singing for them.  Don't get me wrong, they're amazing musicians... but after SLDD their music feels like it has all but plateaued. Prior to that, their music would evolve & grow with each album. Now, it's just still "good" old classic DeLeos. There's no more growth or any new direction from their sound. They only want a "singer" (puppet) to perform their greatest hits 3-5x per week for steady income. That's the priority.  Not the band's legacy, new music, or any sort of growth.  It's all about milking the brand to death.

With that said...

• Their last chance of a Top 40 song was with Chester.
  • After Scott, their fan base went down... Now after Chester, it will sink even lower.
  • Without a reality show or anything to get people into the "singer search", people won't be as invested in this new band.
  • Obviously they'll continue their never-ending "greatest hits tour" as "STP" (lol), but in much smaller venues, with a fraction of the sales that they even had with Chester.  Expect to see "STP" tickets going on sale, and on Groupon.
  • Like most 80's & 90's acts... they'll eventually have to double up on concerts with another band from their era.  This way concert goers have TWO bands to see for $40; and they'll attract the nostalgia crowd who just wants to go out for the night, get away from their kids, and have a few drinks.  It's no longer about "STP" or the music... but a nostalgia based gimmick for people in their 30's & 40's.
  • IF they manage to keep this singer... they can probably ride the nostalgia tour circuit away into obscurity.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 12:50:21 PM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »
@STEAK I don't think the DeLeos are delusional at all; I think they're fully aware of everything you've said. But that doesn't make them greedy fucks. This is their band that they've spent their whole adult lives working on. It's their livelihood. They want to keep going because it's the best option to allow them not only the most financial stability but also the most happiness.

Can you honestly say you would do things differently if you were them because you were worried about the band's legacy? These guys have kids now. More STP success means better futures for their kids. A "cleaner" legacy won't do much for their kids.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 06:59:48 PM »
I do think a tribute show for Scott with a lot of famous guest singers (mixing in some of the unknown candidates) would have been a better way to kickstart STP Mach III.  I was actually told Perry Farrell and Jane's Addiction were open to this, so there were willing performers.  Alice In Chains kind of did something similar in 2005, their first comeback show had Maynard James Keenan, Wes Scantlin (before he was a total joke), Ann Wilson, and others on vocals.  They didn't do a full tour until a year later with DuVall.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 02:25:15 AM »
I do think a tribute show for Scott with a lot of famous guest singers (mixing in some of the unknown candidates) would have been a better way to kickstart STP Mach III.  I was actually told Perry Farrell and Jane's Addiction were open to this, so there were willing performers.  Alice In Chains kind of did something similar in 2005, their first comeback show had Maynard James Keenan, Wes Scantlin (before he was a total joke), Ann Wilson, and others on vocals.  They didn't do a full tour until a year later with DuVall.

That is already 10+ years ago though. These guys are now becoming dinosaurs. Dean is almost 60 for the love of god. Outside of some rock n roll fantasy camps and county fairs it's over.