September 29, 2024, 03:23:33 AM

Author Topic: Dean/Eric/Robert covered "Janie's Got a Gun" on Steven Tyler's new Country Album  (Read 2742 times)

Sources

• Ground Personnel
  • Melancholy
    • View Profile
Per the STP Facebook:

Back in 2015 , Robert, Eric and myself spent and afternoon with Steven Tyler reworking and recording Janie's Got A Gun. The song is on Steven's latest record titled " We're All Somebody From Somewhere. "
What a beautiful day we all had in the studio. Steven is electric. No one better !!! For real !!! Hope ya dig the track.

http://apple.co/2aIZOBg

Just previewed it on my phone via the itunes store. Pretty cool twist on a classic.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:40:28 PM by Sources »

stp4

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Assistant Manager Strickland Propane
    • View Profile
http://www.spin.com/2016/08/steven-tyler-stone-temple-pilots-janies-got-a-gun-country-stream/ you can play a 30 second clip on this site. It says you can play the full clip on spotify app.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Janie's Got A Gun done in the style of Sour Girl, it sounds like.
Bleeda blooda

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
God awful song.

It's a shame Robert is wasting all this time with Steven Tyler.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Its doesn't sound to bad,  thought it be more "country is",  Tyler's voice seems to struggle at times
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

stp4

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Assistant Manager Strickland Propane
    • View Profile
I'm not a fan of Tyler's vocals at all. This does seem like a waste of time re-recording an old song.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Unmistakably the guys, sonically interesting as always, but sub par source material.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile

My take: instruments on the song are cool, but i have to agree with most of you on the board that the song should have been left alone. The thing that rubs me wrong the most is the song just doesn't flow, doesn't sound country because if they were shooting for that Dean should have incorporated a lap steel. I really do like what the STP fellas can do, i just think the song lacks good arrangement and direction. I give it a 6, and that might be pushing it. If you heard this one first compared to the other it might not have made the cut for an album, hence Glenn Ballard, now that there is a killer songwriter who help Aerosmith hone their songs.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
all around pretty boring.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Pretty good take off of a track off my favorite Aerosmith record. Janie was more of a studio song and it never really came off good in a live setting IMO. This version would work in a live setting.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

ejsme

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile

My take: instruments on the song are cool, but i have to agree with most of you on the board that the song should have been left alone. The thing that rubs me wrong the most is the song just doesn't flow, doesn't sound country because if they were shooting for that Dean should have incorporated a lap steel. I really do like what the STP fellas can do, i just think the song lacks good arrangement and direction. I give it a 6, and that might be pushing it. If you heard this one first compared to the other it might not have made the cut for an album, hence Glenn Ballard, now that there is a killer songwriter who help Aerosmith hone their songs.

I agree with Hr308 except for the Glenn Ballard part. While he's a great songwriter, he's more of a pop songwriter and I feel that, once the Aerosmith guys got used to that, they forgot how to write more greasy bluesy stuff on their own. I feel like they depend too much on outside writers and still making the mistake of hoping for hit singles. I think they should follow the example of The Rolling Stones, who, by 1994, seemed to realize that people just wanted them to be themselves, and they still managed to have a few hit singles back then. And now they seem to just do albums just because they want to, not for album sales. They know that they'll make plenty of money on their live shows playing the old hits. But I totally agree about the lack of direction in the arrangement and that pedal steel would have made it fit right into Tyler's whole country thing. We know that the DeLeos can do that because of their "Witchita Lineman" with Glen Campbell. I don't even feel that song necessarily needed to be left alone but this wasn't enough of a departure to warrant a re-recording.

ejsme

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
I'll also add that, at that one point, where they artificially have the vocal echoes a second later, add too much modern-ness (is that a word?) to it which is one of my complaints on the first Velvet Revolver album. And again, I'd love to have heard Dean take a stab at some pedal steel playing. I mean if a regular guitarist like Jerry Garcia can hack it on CSNY's "Teach Your Children," I bet that Dean could have killed it.

ejsme

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
And I don't "regular" as in not exceptional, I just mean plays a regular guitar. Just to clarify.