October 02, 2024, 08:24:07 PM

Author Topic: The Cult , GNR  (Read 2996 times)

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
The Cult , GNR
« on: July 31, 2016, 11:12:28 PM »

So within 3 hours i will be stepping back in time seeingnot only GNR at the Mercedes Benz Superdome, but one of my 80's favorites the Cult. Last time they played here GNR opened for the Cult on their electric tour and GNR were supporting their Appetite For Destruction album. The year was 1987. I have to say that tonight will be a great night. Hearing some of The Cult's songs such as " Lil Devil" , She sells Sanctuary, Wildflower, Memphis  Hip Shake, Fire Woman. Ian is smoothe as hell and one of the best on stage, i guarantee Scott was influenced by him. Then there is GNR and their catalog is picturebook: My Michelle, It's So Easy, Welcome to the Jungle, patience, Mr Brownstone, Paradise City, I used to Love Her. Killer bands , I will write my review tomorrow.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: The Cult , GNR
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 05:22:07 AM »

So within 3 hours i will be stepping back in time seeingnot only GNR at the Mercedes Benz Superdome, but one of my 80's favorites the Cult. Last time they played here GNR opened for the Cult on their electric tour and GNR were supporting their Appetite For Destruction album. The year was 1987. I have to say that tonight will be a great night. Hearing some of The Cult's songs such as " Lil Devil" , She sells Sanctuary, Wildflower, Memphis  Hip Shake, Fire Woman. Ian is smoothe as hell and one of the best on stage, i guarantee Scott was influenced by him. Then there is GNR and their catalog is picturebook: My Michelle, It's So Easy, Welcome to the Jungle, patience, Mr Brownstone, Paradise City, I used to Love Her. Killer bands , I will write my review tomorrow.

Sounds like a great show.  I've seen The Cult many times...BUT...

I would believe Eric liking The Cult before Scott...I think you mistaken Jim Morrison's influence on both Scott  & Ian Astbury.  I'm not sayin he doesn't like The Cult but it would be least likely, I just don't see or hear it in his style and vocals.

8) :-*
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »
The Cult are brilliant, they were one of the first real rock bands I got into in the 80s.

Their more recent catalogue is really underrated. Beyond Good & Evil is an excellent album, as are their last couple too.

I-want-a-time-machine

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 10:41:51 AM »
Saw this combination in '92, but then the other way round, the Cult supporting GNR, the Cult was much better, GNR was dull. There were two more bands playing that I enjoyed more, Soul asylum and Blind melon.

I llike the cult's early goth stuff too and their incarnations as southern death cult and death cult.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:49:02 AM by I-want-a-time-machine »
half the art school girl she used to be...

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 02:17:25 PM »

So, here is my concert review for both The Cult and GNR.

The Cult : So I have always loved  The Cult since their early's 80's material. The album that shook my soul was " Electric". Ian Astbury and Bill Duffy are an inseparable team and have weathered the storms and years together. The only hard pill to digest as an opening act is the majority of the folks can't wait until you leave the stage so their favorite band can get on. This was semi the case as The Cult played about 10 songs, they sounded good on all fronts and even afforded the luxury of a utility player who played second guitar to Duffy and some keys. Ian Astbury has aged a little bit but has always been a superb vocalist. They mainly stuck to Electric and Sonic Temple, but did do " She Sells Sanctuary and " Here comes the Rain". They weren't granted much stage production except the jumbotron Led screens. Each one stage left and right have to be 60ft tall. The crowd did really enjoy The Cult , but The Cult are much better in a smaller venue due to their lack of stage production, they never were a big massive production band.

Guns n Roses :

I can say this boldly and without abandoned. These guys are the biggest band in the world right now. If last night was their Superbowl they won 55-0. Not only did they play great rock n roll sons, but they played great rock n roll songs with energy. They played music off of Appetite, the most 8 songs. They played 6 Covers such as "Live and Let Die", The Seeker by The Who and oh wait, here is the setlist
Looney Tunes
Play Video
The Equalizer
(Harry Gregson-Williams song)
Play Video
It's So Easy
Play Video
Mr. Brownstone
Play Video
Chinese Democracy
Play Video
Welcome to the Jungle
Play Video
Double Talkin' Jive
Play Video
Estranged
Play Video
Live and Let Die
(Wings cover)
Play Video
Rocket Queen
Play Video
You Could Be Mine
Play Video
Attitude
(Misfits cover) (with "You Can't Put Your Arms… more )
Play Video
This I Love
Play Video
Civil War
(with "Voodoo Child" outro)
Play Video
Coma
(with band introductions)
Play Video
Love Theme from the Godfather
(Nino Rota cover) (Slash solo)
Play Video
Sweet Child O' Mine
Play Video
Better
Play Video
Out Ta Get Me
Play Video
Wish You Were Here
(Pink Floyd cover) (Slash & Richard Fortus Guitar Duet)
Play Video
November Rain
("Layla" piano exit intro with… more )
Play Video
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
(Bob Dylan cover)
Play Video
Nightrain
Play Video
Encore:
Don't Cry
Play Video
The Seeker
(The Who cover)
Play Video
Paradise City
Play Video

We found the setlist on line before the show and compared and they stuck right to it. Slash will always be the most loved guitarist in the world because he has always been soft spoken and behind those shades, but also because he wrote the most memorable riff the world has ever known with " Sweet Child o Mine". The crowd adores him and he can flat the fucking play his ass off. The drummer was a black guy who you can tell has great timing and chops, he killed the kit and was impeccable on his timing, hired gun ( no pun intended) didn't matter he smiled, jammed and treated everyone to a killer rythm section. I was highly impressed at AXL, he actually treated the fans to a phenomenal vocal performance and stage show. You can tell this is his baby and always has been. I will say this, anyone who spends the amount of time on stage keeping GNR alive as he has has got to be commended. One thing I have to note that was awesome, was Slash's forearm Velvet Revolver tattoo on the jumbotron, i think inadvertently it was a nod to Scott. Well i won't ramble on any further. If you really never saw GNR during the late 80's or 90's then do it. They have a phenomenal sound and stage show. Also to note: if i were them i would kick out Duff singing The Misfits and also remove "Estranged", both songs sent people to get beer and piss. GNR will always be legendary and even today they have proven why.

Attendance i would say was 40,000 to 50,000

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 02:27:52 PM »
One thing I have to note that was awesome, was Slash's forearm Velvet Revolver tattoo on the jumbotron, i think inadvertently it was a nod to Scott.
Not really a nod to Scott.  He got that tattoo during the Contraband era... its old. 

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 02:39:20 PM »

Well i would like to think that

Scott4ever

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 12:03:48 AM »
Saw them last Friday in Orlando.  Same set list, great show.  The wife came running back to the seat for Attitude, so that's one vote for keeping it in the set.  They did it on the UYI tour back in '91-'92.  I loved that they played Coma!  Axl's voice was the most consistent I've ever heard.  Slash was great, as always.  I agree the drummer was fantastic. 
One question, how many times did Axl change his shirt in NO?  He did it at least 5-6 times during Orlando, which was an outdoor show.
I knew the questions, but I lost the answers...
STP:  July 2, 1994 (cancelled)/September 4, 1994/November 20, 1996/May 5, 1997/July 26, 2000/December 31, 2001/October 8, 2002/August 22, 2008 (cancelled)
VR:  December 8, 2004/May 24, 2005/September 6, 2005/October 6, 2007
Scott Weiland and The Wildabouts:  March 6, 2015

Scott4ever

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 12:26:19 AM »
I did think they played too much Chinese Democracy material.  Nothing from GnR Lies?!?
STP:  July 2, 1994 (cancelled)/September 4, 1994/November 20, 1996/May 5, 1997/July 26, 2000/December 31, 2001/October 8, 2002/August 22, 2008 (cancelled)

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 02:12:01 AM »

He changed at lease 5 , i really dug the Alva shirt because i skated and also have a Dogtown tattoo inside my left arm. He changed his hats and jackets quite a bit also. He sounded better now than he did in 87 when i saw him. I am glad they played here, it was a really nice opportunity for people who have followed them for years. Last time i saw them with The Cult Steven Adler was skateboarding across the stage during their set, it was a circus i tell you.

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 02:17:18 AM »

This was. Funny as hell, When I saw GNR with Aerosmith on Permanent Vacation Tour Slash and i were talking after the show and no fucking kidding we were drinking straight Jack. He said " Hey Izzy isn't coming back out please sign some autographs with his name. It was fucking hilarious, i was sitting there signing Izzy Stradlin. Some poir fuckers had a fake signature all because Slash and i were silly as fuck and drunk. I laughed for two days, but at the time i did look like Izzy.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 04:36:25 AM »
I did think they played too much Chinese Democracy material.  Nothing from GnR Lies?!?

I with they'd do more CD stuff. I'd remove "This I Love" though, that song goes nowhere. Maybe add Madagascar or something.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 05:07:58 PM »

I with they'd do more CD stuff. I'd remove "This I Love" though, that song goes nowhere. Maybe add Madagascar or something.
I think the amount of Chinese Democracy material is appropriate (3 songs), but "This I love" is a terrible choice and Sorry, which has also be played a couple times, is also a bad choice.  I think There was a Time, Shackler's Revenge, Riad N' The Bedouins, Catcher and The Rye, or Prostitute would have all been better choices.  Just my 2c

On a related note though, I saw GnR in nashville a few weeks ago and it was a fucking fantastic show.  Slash and co. have given me two of my top 5 concert experiences now (VR in Rockford, IL in 2005 and now this show). 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:09:45 PM by Aaron »

Scott4ever

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 12:32:51 AM »

I think the amount of Chinese Democracy material is appropriate (3 songs), but "This I love" is a terrible choice and Sorry, which has also be played a couple times, is also a bad choice.  I think There was a Time, Shackler's Revenge, Riad N' The Bedouins, Catcher and The Rye, or Prostitute would have all been better choices.  Just my 2c

On a related note though, I saw GnR in nashville a few weeks ago and it was a fucking fantastic show.  Slash and co. have given me two of my top 5 concert experiences now (VR in Rockford, IL in 2005 and now this show).
I'm just not a big fan of that disc.  The show we saw on New Years Eve in Miami in '91 was more intense and a better show than this one, but I'd rank this #2 out of the 5 times we've seen them.  Glad you enjoyed the Nashville show so much! ✌🏻️

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 06:15:28 PM »
I'm just not a big fan of that disc.  The show we saw on New Years Eve in Miami in '91 was more intense and a better show than this one, but I'd rank this #2 out of the 5 times we've seen them.  Glad you enjoyed the Nashville show so much! ✌🏻️
I'm actually not a big fan of that disc either, just pointing out that there are better songs they could play from it if they are choosing to do so. 

I never saw GnR back in their heyday (I was only 10 in '91), but the show in Nashville a couple weeks ago was pretty damn good.  I'm sure it couldnt hold a candle to the original GnR run, but it was pretty great.