October 02, 2024, 11:26:47 PM

Author Topic: Laybe Staley/William Duvall  (Read 3135 times)

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Laybe Staley/William Duvall
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 06:45:06 PM »
I don't know why my response wasn't in the last post....

Saw them twice with Layne - in 1991 opening for Van Halen and 1996 opening for KISS at Tiger Stadium.  Both were awesome for different reasons.  Have seen them twice with William also - 2007 opening for Velvet Revolver and then headlining, with no opener, last year at Hard Rock Live.  They have much better energy as an opener, IMO.  I like William as a replacement singer, even though I didn't want to.

You were at the Tiger Stadium concert!  That would have been my only chance to have seen Layne, but even then I was still too young.  What made the Tiger Stadium show awesome?
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Scott4ever

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 10:38:14 PM »
The vibe of the show was incredible!  AIC was great, loved the set list.  I believe they opened with "Again" which was my favorite of theirs at the time.  Layne looked like death, his leather pants were all saggy on him.  But he was wailing away!  I just felt the magic and the vibe that they were on borrowed time and were hyped to be on stage together again.
I knew the questions, but I lost the answers...
STP:  July 2, 1994 (cancelled)/September 4, 1994/November 20, 1996/May 5, 1997/July 26, 2000/December 31, 2001/October 8, 2002/August 22, 2008 (cancelled)
VR:  December 8, 2004/May 24, 2005/September 6, 2005/October 6, 2007
Scott Weiland and The Wildabouts:  March 6, 2015

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 04:39:19 PM »
Never got the chance to see them live, with Layne, only thing close was there Unplugged set, I guess, which is great.

Seen them w/Duvall a couple of times, its freaky how he can sound like Layne at times and when him and Jerry harmonize it feels like Layne's there
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

mrmojorisin

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 06:16:54 PM »
Was suppose to check them out when they were touring with Metallica and Suicidal Tendencies in the early 90s. Day of the concert we were standing in line to get in the venue and they came out and said Layne entered rehab that day and AIC wouldn't be playing and they got Candlebox to take their place. Jerry did come out and jam with Metallica for a few songs though.
Too much walkin shoes worn thin  Too trippin and my souls worn thin

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 06:18:46 PM »
Was suppose to check them out when they were touring with Metallica and Suicidal Tendencies in the early 90s. Day of the concert we were standing in line to get in the venue and they came out and said Layne entered rehab that day and AIC wouldn't be playing and they got Candlebox to take their place. Jerry did come out and jam with Metallica for a few songs though.

Shit.  That is a huge bummer.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 05:52:38 AM »
I actually had a big reply written for this last week but then my phone died. I basically talked a bit about Layne's last few years before he died and went on to say that I'm personally very glad that AiC has kept going, despite losing a key, integral part of everything they were. I think the current lineup has made some great stuff and have stayed very true to everything AiC is and/or was. The two albums of the current lineup aren't half baked attempts to resurrect past albums or try to be anything the band isn't and that's pretty admirable, a lot of bands couldn't pull that off. Much love and respect to Cantrell and Duvall.