September 27, 2024, 03:19:59 PM

Author Topic: Layne vs Scott  (Read 7487 times)

DrLymphNode

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Layne vs Scott
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 02:14:31 AM »
The only STP song I ever thought sounded like something of an Alice in Chains knockoff was Piece of Pie.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 02:39:02 AM »
The only STP song I ever thought sounded like something of an Alice in Chains knockoff was Piece of Pie.

I can see that, except for the chorus -- that bassline is uniquely Rob/STP and pretty much the same from when it was more of a funk song in MJY.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 04:08:52 PM »
I can confirm Scott did say that line about the teeth, I remember listening to that interview and thinking it probably wasn't the best choice of words. He definitely didn't say it in a mean way though, he was just making a joke because the DJ kept wishing him well and making comparisons to Layne which I imagine made Scott feel rather uncomfortable.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

The Joker

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 11:11:07 PM »
I remember vividly a response from the official PJ twitter from a fan asking about SW and their response was  "sadness" and "We didn't know him". Their response was essentially indifference at best and essentially stated what Eddie thought of the band from the interview posted from the '90s. Their right I suppose.....

http://www.alternativenation.net/pearl-jam-bassist-reacts-to-scott-weilands-death/

I-want-a-time-machine

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 12:05:48 AM »

A very good knock-off though, my favorite song from core, nah, no knock-off, just some simularities.

I wonder if they had asked Eddie about Mighty Joe Young instead of STP what his answer would have been then, the name-change early in their career might have been inconvenient for some people's memory.
half the art school girl she used to be...

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 04:49:46 AM »
I remember vividly a response from the official PJ twitter from a fan asking about SW and their response was  "sadness" and "We didn't know him". Their response was essentially indifference at best and essentially stated what Eddie thought of the band from the interview posted from the '90s. Their right I suppose.....

http://www.alternativenation.net/pearl-jam-bassist-reacts-to-scott-weilands-death/

The Pearl Jam stans are really something.  ::)

So 24 years after the fact, they still think Scott was just a copycat...I guess things don't change.

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 08:06:12 AM »

A very good knock-off though, my favorite song from core, nah, no knock-off, just some simularities.

I wonder if they had asked Eddie about Mighty Joe Young instead of STP what his answer would have been then, the name-change early in their career might have been inconvenient for some people's memory.

Eddie lived in the San Diego area when PJ came knocking and STP (+ MJY) were erroneously regarded as a "San Diego" band. They were from LA. Dean lived in San Diego for a while and I guess that's the reason for the label.
I had the midwife naked and alone

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 01:16:21 PM »

So 24 years after the fact, they still think Scott was just a copycat...I guess things don't change.

I don't know how you arrived at that conclusion from this link.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

I-want-a-time-machine

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 04:50:08 PM »

read the comments, the misconceptions are still present after 23 years

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 04:51:43 PM by I-want-a-time-machine »
half the art school girl she used to be...

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 05:02:19 PM »

The comments?  Not quotes from Pearl Jam, the comments section?  Why in the world would I read that?

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 08:20:26 PM »

Pretty night and day if you ask me...Usually people will read comments...

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 09:03:12 PM »

Pretty night and day if you ask me...Usually people will read comments...

I thought that original comment was saying Pearl Jam still consider Scott a copycat.  I was wrong.  This was about people on the comments section.  It's hard to imagine caring less about what those comments say.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 08:08:36 AM »
I really didn't think there was this Layne vs Scott, but I will tell you how the Eddie vs Scott thing was a thing in my eyes.  I told you about the 'Hunger Strike' and how people back then thought it was STP cuz of the Temple in the Band name.  I got sucked into it cuz this happened.  I never had cable so the last Scott look I saw was the Wicked Garden look, ok.

Interstate Love Song would be the next time I saw him on TV, right.  I haven't heard the song yet mind you.  I'm over a friend's house and he said, "Hey, your STP is on"  so I go to watch the video.  In the beginning is the princess short, then I thought he was an actor when they showed him on the rooftop cuz in my mind he looked like Wicked Garden but then he starts singing. It went like this:  I can't look at the video w/out thinking of this moment in time. I knew he was the guy to beat.

I was all tripped out

Me: Who the fuck is this guy?  Where's the Wicked Garden guy?  What did they do, fire him?  (then I went on this 'Hunger Strike' tangent about how I thought it was stupid people thought he sang like Eddie. How unfair it is to bring him down cuz he rocked and he was just being himself.  I was going off; I know, cuz then they fire him in the next album)
Friend: What the fuck are you talking about? It's the same guy.
Me: Dude, it doesn't look or sound like the Wicked Garden guy. You're telling me this is the Wicked Garden guy?

We went back and forth. I was so confused but it proves a point the impact it had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjJL9DGU7Gg

Purple to me was there breakthrough album that really separated them from the other grunge bands. So my question is what do you think, would they have achieved greater success if Purple came out first? Would Core have been better if let's say Tiny was the second album then Core as third? No 4 stays as four and SLDD stays at five?  Do you think that way has a better flow to their albums?  Personally, Core came out too soon.  I think it would have been more endured (for lack of better word right now) if it didn't come out at the same time as 'Dirt' & 'Ten' (I know 10 came out earlier but it was grouped that way)  I think 'Nevermind' was over-rated and over produced and shouldn't have received such accolades as it did.

8) :-*
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 08:13:04 AM by Westenn »
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »

I don't hear that but I always thought Crackerman sounded like it couldve been on Dirt. AIC was prob my 2nd fav. band from that era
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 07:45:02 PM »
I'm a big fan of both AiC and STP, but I never drew any similarities between the two. AiC has a very distinct sound thanks to Jerry Cantrell, similar in the way that STP has an identifiable guitar sound courtesy of Dean DeLeo.