July 03, 2024, 12:27:14 AM

Author Topic: Red Hot Chili Peppers full album "The Getaway" streaming on Spotify  (Read 5194 times)

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers full album "The Getaway" streaming on Spotify
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 09:57:50 PM »
In my opinion, RHCP is better in ever.  Yes, the sound has changed over the years, but they are still making great, unique music.  I think this album is really good, but By The Way is probably still my favorite (also a mellower album like this one).  If you only cared about them for the funk, let your dollars speak and dont get the album.  However, good artists grow and evolve.  I would think we would appreciate that as STP fans. 

Don't know if you guys caught this, but "Dreams Of A Samurai" on the new record has, what I think, could be a small Scott Weiland reference.  Check it-

The day they found you on a tour bus
The news was barren as a desert bone
The tabloids made a kind of small fuss
A couple pictures shown

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 01:15:39 AM »
Let's be real RHCP have been on a decline for a while now. While their last few releases have been ok their last really good album was One Hot Minute. This album is by far the worst I have heard from them. It is just background music not as funk oriented as in the past. I hope Chad works more with Chickenfoot cause right now they are much edgier than RHCP. Just my opinion.

I'd say Californication was their last good album. Everything after that was just them on repeat, I'm With You Was a bit different. But this new album just isn't cutting it for me. If the band wants to go in a different direction that's fine, but this new stuff isn't entertaining to listen to at all.

DrLymphNode

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 03:14:57 AM »
Think that whole song is about Scott.

Slowly turning into driftwood
No one ever wants to die alone
Thinking that a pretty gift could
Make you less unknown

Dirty sneakers on the pavement
The brilliant features of a common man
See the miracle of your life
No one ever can

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 03:17:12 AM »
In my opinion, RHCP is better in ever.  Yes, the sound has changed over the years, but they are still making great, unique music.  I think this album is really good, but By The Way is probably still my favorite (also a mellower album like this one).  If you only cared about them for the funk, let your dollars speak and dont get the album.  However, good artists grow and evolve.  I would think we would appreciate that as STP fans. 

Don't know if you guys caught this, but "Dreams Of A Samurai" on the new record has, what I think, could be a small Scott Weiland reference.  Check it-

The day they found you on a tour bus
The news was barren as a desert bone
The tabloids made a kind of small fuss
A couple pictures shown

The reason I said this was because the difference between a Band like STP and RHCP is that there is an overall feel to STP albums mixing light and heavy songs lots of variation. RHCP have lost that edge the album is very slow and it doesn't flow well.

DrLymphNode

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 03:40:18 AM »
Eh, I just think the mood and songwriting on the album is miles ahead of anything since BTW. It did take a couple listens but I drove home from the beach in sunny weather with the window open listening front to back and it just struck a chord with me

I'd actually say there's no filler.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 02:31:03 PM »
Let's be real RHCP have been on a decline for a while now. While their last few releases have been ok their last really good album was One Hot Minute. This album is by far the worst I have heard from them. It is just background music not as funk oriented as in the past. I hope Chad works more with Chickenfoot cause right now they are much edgier than RHCP. Just my opinion.

I'd say Californication was their last good album. Everything after that was just them on repeat, I'm With You Was a bit different. But this new album just isn't cutting it for me. If the band wants to go in a different direction that's fine, but this new stuff isn't entertaining to listen to at all.

This is pretty much how I feel also.  But, to be honest I just need to move on.  This band is done for me.  I can't look past the stupid shit that comes out of Anthony Keidis' mouth any longer.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 02:35:19 PM »
If you only cared about them for the funk, let your dollars speak and dont get the album.  However, good artists grow and evolve.  I would think we would appreciate that as STP fans. 

Well said.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 02:59:09 PM »
Eh, I just think the mood and songwriting on the album is miles ahead of anything since BTW. It did take a couple listens but I drove home from the beach in sunny weather with the window open listening front to back and it just struck a chord with me

I'd actually say there's no filler.
Totally agree.  I think every song is good.  Yes, its less hard than much of their other work (other than maybe By The Way), but there is some quality songwriting here. 

I agree with the stupid shit coming out of Keidis' mouth comment, but he's had some stinker lyrics since the very beginning.  He is very hit/miss lyrically.  Thats definitely nothing new. 

Man, I cannot get enough of "Go Robot"
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:18:00 PM by Aaron »

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 03:24:49 PM »

I agree with the stupid shit coming out of Keidis' mouth comment, but he's had some stinker lyrics since the very beginning.  He is very hit/miss lyrically.  Thats definitely nothing new.

This never sets well with me, I get what makes people say it, but what other artist out there have delivered "golden" life changing lyrics on every song of their career?

What makes a great lyricist to me is laying down numerous lyrics over their long career, which describe common things people can relate to... Keidis has easily done that and still does so in their latest release... Most artist that become flavors of the year have little substance which I detect in their overall lyrics and therefore there's no story telling.

With RHCP, no matter the year... Keidis is continuing to tell storys which do matter to people out there hearing the music. Who cares if he flies off the handle on some tracks that seem to just be silly or whatever? Honestly, that comes off to me as another fun side of the band which can be enjoyed as well.

Out of all bands which could be criticized over things, I really don't like when RHCP ends up being one of them. I'm just glad there's still a authentic band I grew up hearing, which is still going out there right now...

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 03:58:35 PM »

This never sets well with me, I get what makes people say it, but what other artist out there have delivered "golden" life changing lyrics on every song of their career?

What makes a great lyricist to me is laying down numerous lyrics over their long career, which describe common things people can relate to... Keidis has easily done that and still does so in their latest release... Most artist that become flavors of the year have little substance which I detect in their overall lyrics and therefore there's no story telling.

With RHCP, no matter the year... Keidis is continuing to tell storys which do matter to people out there hearing the music. Who cares if he flies off the handle on some tracks that seem to just be silly or whatever? Honestly, that comes off to me as another fun side of the band which can be enjoyed as well.

Out of all bands which could be criticized over things, I really don't like when RHCP ends up being one of them. I'm just glad there's still a authentic band I grew up hearing, which is still going out there right now...

He deserves all the criticism he gets for his lyrics.  It sounds like you know why he's being criticized for his lyrics, so I don't have any need to list them for you.

They're a very high profile band that have a lyricist that often does not write very intelligent lyrics.  It sounds like you just don't think it's fair that he gets singled out since others do it. 
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 05:09:02 PM »
I love how when he runs out of ideas, he just starts naming US states.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 05:21:53 PM »
You're misunderstanding me a bit, Seattlesound.  Of course Kiedis is a good musician, a great melody writer, and a solid lyricist when looking at his entire body of work.  I'm not discounting his body of work at all.  I actually think some of his best work is on this current record and he deserves a spot in the hall of fame.  However, there is definitely no shortage of RHCP songs that have fairly awful lyrics/lyric segments.

LOL.  Totally.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 08:10:19 PM »
  Too true.  Don't know how many times we have to be reminded he lives in California/LA and hes from Michigan.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 09:17:09 PM »
The criticism of RHCP not sounding like their "funkier" albums is very similar to all the people who wanted "Core voice" from STP.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 09:31:43 PM »
The criticism of RHCP not sounding like their "funkier" albums is very similar to all the people who wanted "Core voice" from STP.
My point exactly.