September 29, 2024, 01:15:24 AM

Author Topic: Contraband, 12 years today.  (Read 6202 times)

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Contraband, 12 years today.
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 11:07:09 PM »
Slither is in the top 3 for me for all time Scott songs.  Epic rocker.  And Set Me Free did it for me as well.  There are some other highlites including some fun live performances.  But the curve evened out pretty quick and they never were on an uptick after very early.  I thought the Libertad emblem was cool, but the album didn't do it for me.  And I was excited Brenden O Brien did it, but still didn't get it over the hump.  I remember they originally had Rick Rubin on board early and then Brenden came on.  I wonder what R Rubin would of brought.  Overall I like Contrband.     

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 03:54:53 AM »
Velvet Revolver was my introduction to Scott/STP, loved Contraband in middle school.  I got into Velvet Revolver in around 2005 and saw them in 2006 at one of the last Contraband era shows.  I'm very fortunate that I became a fan of Scott during one of his sober periods, and that my first time ever seeing him was when when he was at the top of his game.

I know I've said this here somewhere before, but Contraband was the first thing I ever heard that was Scott related (except for maybe Plush in Grand Theft Auto, lol). I can remember my Dad was building this giant computer cabinet for me and he was blasting it out of these speakers I had and I was totally drawn to them - but I was 12 in 2004 and very narrow minded as far as music goes so I didn't explore any further. I can remember being really excited to get Libertad, and that's really when I started to get into STP. So it started with Velvet Revolver for me.

These are very important points to note. VR is a fairly polarizing topic on this board, but regardless of what you think of them, a generation of STP fans was born out of this band. As someone who was not yet forming complete sentences when Core came out, VR was my introduction to Scott and STP as well. Without VR, who knows if the reunion ever happens.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 05:06:36 AM by Slither »
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 04:09:27 AM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:48:49 PM by Flyingmerpa »

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 05:19:00 AM »
It was most definitely a solid album. The thing that I remember about those days is that I went to see them in Philly before the album came out, and so many of the songs immediately jumped out at me. Typically, at least in my experience, hearing a song for the first time in a live format doesn't always result in a connection with the material, but these songs hooked me in right off the bat. It was an electric performance.

Very cool. I was also at the Philly show. Upstairs to the left of Slash. I could see behind the stage a bit and spoke to Doug Grean. It was a great show. Loved how people cheered when Slash put on the top hat.

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 05:50:06 AM »
I didn't really get into Velvet Revolver until my friend talked to me about Scott being in Velvet Revolver. This was back in 2007. I was talking to her on the phone. (Ah! The good ol' days before everyone just texted all the time). We were just talking about bands, and I told her I would burn her "Core" and "Purple." She burned me a bunch of NIN cds. I only knew of "She Builds Quick Machines" from "Libertad." We were talking about how handsome Scott was, and how he looked like Clint Eastwood.  ;D

Anyways, I started getting back into STP last November, and I wanted to buy both of the VR cds from Amazon, and I received them as Christmas gifts. "Contraband" isn't bad. It's kind of fast and loud, which is good for driving or working out. "Libertad" was a little less aggressive. I guess both albums are decent, it's just VR never got as big as they could've.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 02:04:22 PM »
I can clearly remember all the details of opening the packaging for the first time and pressing play.  The time of night, the way the room was lit, etc.  Once Sucker Train Blues kicked in the pace of the uptempo rocker brought a smile to my face. Once the vocals kicked in I was getting the fix I had been craving since 2001. There was Scott's instantly recognizable voice, singing in one of his classic tones. Once I heard his attack in that song I knew this record was going to be a real rocker.  When the big chorus kicked in I was sold.

Some of you talk of piss poor production, and personally I think it sounds great. Err, well, it fits the sound and vibe anyway.  Contraband cemented the sound of Velvet Revolver, to me anyway, as akin to a runaway locomotive with the end of the songs as if that locomotive just ran straight into the side of a mountain to stop. They mostly all had that pace and feel to them, at least on Contraband. I definitely still like it.  However I am one to say that the songs on Libertad are definitely a lot more well thought out; crafted if you will. 

I missed a chance to see Velvet Revolver at the Riv on their first tour because I was feeling sick.  My friends went without me and said his amazing it was. Particularly his Scott was a madman and jumped off the balcony and everyone caught him.  I really regret missing this one.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 02:34:36 PM »
I saw VR at their second London show, on the Contraband tour.

Unfortunately the sound in the standing section at the venue was so bad it kinda spoiled the show, but I did see Brian May & Jimmy Page chatting at the bar, which brightened things up a bit. I also got my CD signed by the whole band at Tower Records, although I ended up giving it away to a girl who used to post here.

coo2

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »
It's really cool to read that VR was a gateway into the world of STP/Scott Weiland for others, just as it was for me.

It was 2004, I was 14, and watching VH1 as they were about to premiere the music video for 'Slither'-- it hit me hard, it was exactly what I had been wanting to see & hear from a Rock n' Roll band, and it was exciting to find a Rock band that I had myself discovered without anyone else. It was a rebirth for everyone involved, and I was seeing it happen.

Then came the record, which delivered on every level of promise for me. I really wanted the band to carry on strong, but it seems that it was just meant to be a project of personal statement for that moment in their careers-- everyone in that band had something to prove, and it was all said & done on Contraband.

In hindsight, I strongly believe that the band should've immediately went back in the studio soon after the first leg or two of the tour, and had recorded at least an EP (which could've added 'Come On, Come In') to capture that raw-aggression of the Contraband-era at its highest peak, along with the enthusiasm/energy they had fresh from the tour.

Libertad is a different-feeling record, and definitely sounds like more of a labored effort, and while it is still a solid record-- I personally prefer the manic fist in the skull that is Contraband.

Scott4ever

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 10:59:57 PM »
Love Contraband.  Libertad, not as much.  Was watching the live at Houston DVD last night in honor of the anniversary.  Personally, I put Contraband as the best release of Scott's, outside of STP.  Just pure energy, gritty, ass-kickin' rock 'n roll!
I knew the questions, but I lost the answers...
STP:  July 2, 1994 (cancelled)/September 4, 1994/November 20, 1996/May 5, 1997/July 26, 2000/December 31, 2001/October 8, 2002/August 22, 2008 (cancelled)
VR:  December 8, 2004/May 24, 2005/September 6, 2005/October 6, 2007
Scott Weiland and The Wildabouts:  March 6, 2015

stontemplpilot

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 11:18:05 PM »
I think Contraband is a great album.  I personally rank it somewhere shortly behind the first 5 STP albums, but definitely ahead of Self Titled.

Navarre

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2016, 11:49:22 AM »
It's really cool to read that VR was a gateway into the world of STP/Scott Weiland for others, just as it was for me.

It was 2004, I was 14, and watching VH1 as they were about to premiere the music video for 'Slither'-- it hit me hard, it was exactly what I had been wanting to see & hear from a Rock n' Roll band, and it was exciting to find a Rock band that I had myself discovered without anyone else. It was a rebirth for everyone involved, and I was seeing it happen.

Then came the record, which delivered on every level of promise for me. I really wanted the band to carry on strong, but it seems that it was just meant to be a project of personal statement for that moment in their careers-- everyone in that band had something to prove, and it was all said & done on Contraband.

For me it was similar. I was 17 and finishing up high school when Contraband came out. I saw the video of Slither on tv and absolutely loved it. I was really into straight forward hard rock at that time so it really clicked with me. Bought the album soon after. Just for Slither and Fall to Pieces but ended up liking every song on it. It is the only cd I have two copies of for no other reason than completely wrecking the first from listening to it so much and taking it everywhere.  ::) Because of Velvet Revolver I discovered Scott and STP. Contraband is still one of my favourite albums.

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 09:01:32 PM »
I liked Contraband enough when it first came out, and ignored Libertad at the time of it's release because I started finding other bands, like My Morning Jacket. Years have gone by and I finally decided to listen to Libertad on multiple occasions (mostly as background music doing the dishes and whatnot) and found it forgettable.  I cannot recall any song that from that album.  I've dusted off and re-listened to Contraband as well and I found it to be somewhat cringe worthy; embarrassed that I rocked out to it, much in the same way people get embarrassed when they find their old Sum-41 records.  In VR's defense I have watched a few live videos on Youtube and I will commend a good live show.  Ultimately though when I hear the name Velvet Revolver I immediately think "Cock Rock".

That's another point. I think some people feel like the music was so "of the time," but in some ways, it was a straight rock album that didn't sound like much else at the time. With Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, and Bowling For Soup, I think people wanted some rock that wasn't 25 year old guys whining about the suburbs and high school.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 07:19:46 AM »
 I remember downloading You Got No Right off of Kazaa or Limewire or whatever back in the day when I was looking for live versions of a Nirvana song with a similar name. That was my first VR experience. At the time, I didn't put together the fact it was the singer from STP, plus some GnR guys.

I still think it's a solid album, with great hooks and energy, despite it lacking STP's artistry and nuances....

Scott's last "heroin" album, it's the last "old Scott" album we have. Even though we still got excellent words & melodies, I feel like Scott was humbled or something after the death of his brother, and we never got to see or hear that reckless energy after this Contraband album....
Bleeda blooda

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2017, 05:33:35 PM »
And today its a teenager😁
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

lazy.divey

• Arrival
  • Arrivals