October 02, 2024, 11:29:58 PM

Author Topic: Six months later  (Read 8066 times)

kravdog

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Six months later
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 01:57:30 AM »
Damn...6 months already? I'm sure I'm speaking for a lot of people when saying that I found myself exploring musically and listening to some different genres before Scott's death, but for the last six months I've been listening to nothing but nostalgic 90's tunes. Its so weird knowing Kurt/Layne/Scott are all gone, yet their lyrics from decades ago still feel so relevant. Scott's death to me pretty much triggered an immediate mix of a mid-life crisis with an existential crisis. How is he suddenly gone? Did part of my childhood just die? 6 months later, I've dealt with those. But I'm still stuck in this state of perpetual nostalgia, and now I'm just exploring some lesser known 90's music rather than exploring current genres like I was before.

Wow, I feel exactly the same... :'(

Same here. For a solid week after his passing, I was having some serious mid-life crisis shit. I would tear up and felt empty. Never had that happen for someone I didn't know, and have had family members pass without as much grieving. Happy to say that I can rock out to Scott and just enjoy the music again, and that I am thankful to have his art in my life.

DrLymphNode

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 03:51:36 AM »
6 months later... it was really hard for me when I first heard the news. Especially over the last year I sort of emotionally became invested in his getting better (having gotten involved in some personal drama with him in a weird turn of events, and I hated every aspect of that), but since then, combined with the death of my uncle, I refuse to let his death be in vain or his hopeful lyrics go to waste.

I've lost 30 pounds, quit smoking, and vow to never touch heroin or cocaine... I won't let his death be in vain and I thank him for the influence he's had on me since I was 14 years old

Scarlett

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 05:55:45 AM »
I started listening to STP at 6 years old and was 29 when Scott passed away.  23 years is a long time.  Hard to believe it has already been six months.  I've been thinking about a very beloved person I knew who died a few years ago.  Now Scott too...

I've avoided much of his music because it at first it hurt so much.  The loss was a waste of a person with such  tremendous talent.  Not to mention something that has been part of my life for so long. 

Now I listen to STP but much of the time it's their slower, sadder songs that I find the most connection.  In many ways I find most of their songs to be sad now.  Lyrics are like a love/hate letter that lasted for more that 30 years. 

:-\

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 07:08:21 AM »
I feel very much the same as Brett. I mean, I didn't interview him, but I did "meet" him less than two weeks before he died. "Met" because what actually happened was I got to stand beside the worn and broken, empty body of Scott Weiland and take a photo. I, too, wish I could have done something to help, although I know there is absolutely nothing I (or anyone) could have done to stop or prevent what was about to happen. I left that night wishing I could take him home, draw him a hot bath, feed him a spaghetti dinner, and tuck him into a clean bed. I wanted to mother him - to protect him. He broke my heart that night.

He still breaks my heart tonight. It's still hard on me. 15 years worth of insane once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Memories of a lucid, sweet, generous and incredible man who I miss very, very much. I find STP hard to listen to. Most of it leaves a bad taste in my mouth anymore and makes me feel yucky. I have an easier time with his solo stuff, but often find that it leaves my heart heavy. No more new albums. No more new music. Will I ever feel that magical teenage excitement again? Dammit, Scott.

Hate that you guys are still having a rough time too.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

mrmojorisin

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 07:33:11 AM »
I feel very much the same as Brett. I mean, I didn't interview him, but I did "meet" him less than two weeks before he died. "Met" because what actually happened was I got to stand beside the worn and broken, empty body of Scott Weiland and take a photo. I, too, wish I could have done something to help, although I know there is absolutely nothing I (or anyone) could have done to stop or prevent what was about to happen. I left that night wishing I could take him home, draw him a hot bath, feed him a spaghetti dinner, and tuck him into a clean bed. I wanted to mother him - to protect him. He broke my heart that night.

He still breaks my heart tonight. It's still hard on me. 15 years worth of insane once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Memories of a lucid, sweet, generous and incredible man who I miss very, very much. I find STP hard to listen to. Most of it leaves a bad taste in my mouth anymore and makes me feel yucky. I have an easier time with his solo stuff, but often find that it leaves my heart heavy. No more new albums. No more new music. Will I ever feel that magical teenage excitement again? Dammit, Scott.

can I see the pic from that night?
Too much walkin shoes worn thin  Too trippin and my souls worn thin

mrmojorisin

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 07:37:23 AM »
It was weird for me cuz it was less then 2 weeks away from when he was doing a show here in OKC when he died. Leading up to his death I was telling my wife about how rough he was looking and told her that he needs some rest and relaxation. He never got it.
Too much walkin shoes worn thin  Too trippin and my souls worn thin

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 07:38:48 AM »
I could probably write a paper on this whole thing (putting my English degree to good use, I suppose), but who wants to read the ramblings of a 37-yr old guy who has grown up from the days when everything a rock star wore or said influenced his life on a daily basis? I'm now a boring guy approaching middle age. I have my first kid on the way. Tastes and priorities change.

Scott Weiland's death impacts me in several ways. I mourn for a guy who I once cared so much about. To see him slowly crumble from his past glories to the sad, near 50-yr old man who just couldn't ever seem to pull his life together. I have my opinions on the drug war and how we treat addicts, but we live in the world we live in, and how we all deal with life must occur within the confines of the time we live in. At one point, Scott, to me, was the epitome of cool. In death, he's someone I felt sorry for. And then there's all the people he left behind, tearing gaping holes in their universe.

Ultimately, the door closing on his life serves as a metaphor for the door closing on my youth. I may not have a radio song, but now I am the one with a wife and (almost) kid to tell me what's wrong. All the things I once thought were so important I now realize were not. People are complicated, and I can separate talent and what made Scott great from all of his problems. I can admire the former and learn from the latter.

If Scott can give me anything as he survives only in spirit, it will be continued joy in listening to his beautiful music for the rest of my life. But he will also serve as an example of what I never want to do, and is to simply give up.

Forgive me, but I didn't realize you saw him again that close to his death. Did he remember you or did you have a chance to talk about it?

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 07:58:11 AM »

People are complicated, and I can separate talent and what made Scott great from all of his problems. I can admire the former and learn from the latter.

I love the way you put that. That's what always rubs me the wrong way about the "generalized" perception of Scott Weiland... People only see one thing when you mention his name... The drug stuff. It's like they choose to close the door right there and not look any further into what the man has put out there... I just call it a TMZ kinda world, and a TMZ kinda thinking when they do it. Motherfuckers out there really piss me off when they just want to talk about shit like that.

I mean it's like their lives are so damn perfect they can sit around and pick apart someone else's and throw them under the bus for how they lived. Whatever.

I'm sorry that I went on a rant. But I really like the way you worded that line. It really sums up a lot of what people out there do. It's not right in my book.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 08:44:16 AM »
https://instagram.com/p/-NzMMsHy_C/  Pic from that night

Lovemachine - no, he didn't remember me. He probably didn't know himself. He was quite literally being led around by the arm, weekend at Bernies style.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Navarre

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2016, 11:55:57 AM »
I can't really listen to Blaster anymore as last time it made me break down in tears, but have been playing STP, VR and his other solo stuff a lot while I work. 12 Bar Blues being my favourite.

Lots of thoughts of what could have been.. If he was still here maybe he managed to clean up again, bounce back with new music as he always did, new album, maybe joining VR again. Wishful thinking. I think he was permanently broken this time. I still think he didn't gave up, but simply couldn't go on anymore. If you need to be on the stuff he was on just to get through the day... how much in pain he must have been. I can't wrap my mind around it.

Scott4ever

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
6 months later I still haven't gotten over it at all.  Blaster was such a good disc and seeing him live last year gave some hope of rebirth.  As has been said earlier though, he was just a shell of the man he once was and only 48....
I knew the questions, but I lost the answers...
STP:  July 2, 1994 (cancelled)/September 4, 1994/November 20, 1996/May 5, 1997/July 26, 2000/December 31, 2001/October 8, 2002/August 22, 2008 (cancelled)
VR:  December 8, 2004/May 24, 2005/September 6, 2005/October 6, 2007
Scott Weiland and The Wildabouts:  March 6, 2015

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2016, 08:44:27 PM »

[/size][size=78%]I love the way you put that. That's what always rubs me the wrong way about the "generalized" perception of Scott Weiland... People only see one thing when you mention his name... The drug stuff. It's like they choose to close the door right there and not look any further into what the man has put out there... I just call it a TMZ kinda world, and a TMZ kinda thinking when they do it. Motherfuckers out there really piss me off when they just want to talk about shit like that. [/size]

I mean it's like their lives are so damn perfect they can sit around and pick apart someone else's and throw them under the bus for how they lived. Whatever.

I'm sorry that I went on a rant. But I really like the way you worded that line. It really sums up a lot of what people out there do. It's not right in my book.

Thanks. I'm a huge basketball fan, and as a lifelong SoCal guy, I love the Lakers. Based upon what I know, I don't think Kobe Bryant is a rapist, but we definitely KNOW he's a cheater, and often times during his playing days he was likely insufferable. I am sure that is part of what made him great, as Jordan was apparently worse (but didn't play in the 24-hr news/sports, social media/internet age).

But the guy has no equal when it comes to work ethic. He has no equal when it comes to the drive to accomplish a goal. I would have no problem telling my child that Kobe's work ethic and drive are to be admired, even if he has faults.

Same goes for Scott, IMO.

https://instagram.com/p/-NzMMsHy_C/  Pic from that night

Lovemachine - no, he didn't remember me. He probably didn't know himself. He was quite literally being led around by the arm, weekend at Bernies style.

Sigh.

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2016, 10:24:57 PM »
I think Scott had given up thinking he could ever be free from his demons and addictions.  A poignant line from STP's last album with Scott tells it all: 

Then
There was a dream
When you said we would be free
But now is the time
To be real

It still hurts that he's gone, but maybe his last downward spiral softened the blow a bit?  I remember watching that horrible Vasoline performance and later the Unglued one when he couldn't even put on his jacket and I thought to myself he's not going to be around for much longer.  I think the real tragedy is that there was no happy ending for Scott.

The Joker

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2016, 10:48:53 PM »
A microcosm of how reckless Scott was in the end is the debt he had. On top of all the hurt he was apparently going through I'd imagine knowing how much money in the hole he was a major source of stress too. How often have people committed suicide for less debt? It did not help that Scott in the end was playing to 100-400 people a show in small clubs. Some people want to escape their reality with drugs/etc.

It's a bad analogy but Scott went to playing sold out arena shows 5-10 years earlier to having his last show cancelled because of poor ticket sales. How many big money doctors would be humble enough to work as a fry cook when times are tough and still carry on a positive outlook? And mind you this is not even taking into account his addictions/family on top of money problems. Sad thing is his problems just didn't happen over night. I'd imagine he might have had the "come be what may" attitude.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:50:50 PM by The Joker »

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2016, 10:53:30 PM »
A microcosm of how reckless Scott was in the end is the debt he had. On top of all the hurt he was apparently going through I'd imagine knowing how much money in the hole he was a major source of stress too. How often have people committed suicide for less debt? It did not help that Scott in the end was playing to 100-400 people a show in small clubs. Some people want to escape their reality with drugs/etc.

It's a bad analogy but Scott went to playing sold out arena shows 5-10 years earlier to having his last show cancelled because of poor ticket sales. How many big money doctors would be humble enough to work as a fry cook when times are tough and still carry on a positive outlook? And mind you this is not even taking into account his addictions/family on top of money problems. Sad thing is his problems just didn't happen over night. I'd imagine he might have had the "come be what may" attitude.

I don't buy this at all.  If he'd gotten sober, he would probably be playing with STP right now.  The root of all of Scott's problems, including his death obviously, was that he was a drug addict who'd given up.  If last November Scott had decided to go to rehab, and written an open letter apologizing to his family, friends, fans, and STP/Velvet Revolver bandmates, he could have gotten his life back.  It was never too late, that's what makes Scott giving up even more frustrating.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:56:21 PM by StoneTempleBrett »

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11