September 27, 2024, 04:30:13 PM

Author Topic: The current state of Rock & Roll...  (Read 4065 times)

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The current state of Rock & Roll...
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 04:25:07 PM »

It all came from Delta Blues anyway. I love Rock and after meeting Gene Simmons, i respect him but he is a selfish opinionated musician. The cool thing is new generations are constantly discovering the older music. I am not a fan of Indy music like Modest Mouse, that shit irritates me.

Constant name dropping is also irritating.

Sorry coconut I just have played music for over 35 years. Shit happens

No, not "shit happens" - it's "you're a douche."

The only thing you post about is yourself. You chime in on conversations that have nothing to fucking do with you and attempt to make them about you. You interject irrelevant, childish garbage into every single conversation you include yourself in. I have been a member of this forum (or similar incarnation of it) for 20 years now, and you are by far one of the most obnoxious jackasses that has ever decided to grace us with your presence. Shut the fuck up already.

To everyone else: you're welcome   :-*

Firm but fair.

agreeing wholeheartedly with STPgirl, since onree has graced us with his annoying presence I tend to stay away from this forum most of the time...About time someone said it, thanks.
Anyway, NickLorenza makes a lot of sense.

Here here
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 06:45:54 PM »
I agree with everything Nick said. I can't help, but think that a lot of rock bands/rock singers today are kind of treated like the B-list and C-list whereas back in the '80s, more were treated like A-listers.

I could blame country and hip hop, but I think the climate just changed too much in the music industry in general.

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 10:19:52 PM »
I forgot to add from my last post, but I think also a lack of promoting albums doesn't help anyone out.

For instance, I go to Meijer's every now and again, and I'll be like "Oh, Black Stone Cherry put out an album? Bullet For My Valentine put out a new album? Breaking Benjamin..." All these bands I haven't heard of since 2007 are dropping albums and no one cares or knows because no one hears about them releasing cds unless you're hooked on Twitter all the time.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 02:33:32 AM »
I forgot to add from my last post, but I think also a lack of promoting albums doesn't help anyone out.

For instance, I go to Meijer's every now and again, and I'll be like "Oh, Black Stone Cherry put out an album? Bullet For My Valentine put out a new album? Breaking Benjamin..." All these bands I haven't heard of since 2007 are dropping albums and no one cares or knows because no one hears about them releasing cds unless you're hooked on Twitter all the time.

I agree with that, if it's about different bands. Lately it has been "Oh, Sun God Seven has a new album out, Oh, Sun God Seven has a new video out, Oh, Sun God Seven's singer paid someone to paint him a painting, Oh, Sun God Seven just watched a song by muddy waters on youtube, Oh, Sun God Seven likes burritos, Oh, Sun God Seven worked with Bill Murrays uncle, Oh, Sun God Seven are heading into the studio to write a new song, Oh, Sun God Seven just released the new song they just recorded, Oh, Sun God Seven made a video for the new Sun God Seven song that Sun God Seven just recorded with Sun God Sevens friend as producer."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:36:14 AM by foou33 »

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 06:59:21 AM »
Rock may not be dead but it's on life support. There's no bands like STP, Pearl Jam, Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, etc that are making a mark on popular music right now. It's all electronic shit or poppy shit with lame dancey 4 on the floor beats, or douchers with an acoustic guitar playing "alternative indie rock" or some schlock like that with whiny tools whine-singing are the closest thing you'll hear to "rock" on the radio. Think Capitol Cities or Fun or The Lumineers or Fallout Boy or whatever.

It's not your run of the mill pop, but it sure as hell ain't the gritty electric guitar driven songs that made rock n roll a thing in the first place....

I miss the days when "indie" meant a band that wasn't signed to a record label, not some hipster-driven genre of "rock" music.

Aaaaand back to your regularly scheduled programming.....
Bleeda blooda

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 01:55:44 PM »
Rock may not be dead but it's on life support. There's no bands like STP, Pearl Jam, Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, etc that are making a mark on popular music right now. It's all electronic shit or poppy shit with lame dancey 4 on the floor beats, or douchers with an acoustic guitar playing "alternative indie rock" or some schlock like that with whiny tools whine-singing are the closest thing you'll hear to "rock" on the radio. Think Capitol Cities or Fun or The Lumineers or Fallout Boy or whatever.

It's not your run of the mill pop, but it sure as hell ain't the gritty electric guitar driven songs that made rock n roll a thing in the first place....

I miss the days when "indie" meant a band that wasn't signed to a record label, not some hipster-driven genre of "rock" music.

Aaaaand back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

Your idea of rock and roll may be on life support, but nothing is dead.

You've met the old dinosaur that said nothing good came out after 1971.  According to him STP, Guns N' Roses etc were all bullshit.

It's not rock that's on life support.  You're all just getting old and so am I.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 04:35:33 PM »
Music is generally tied to cultural and social movements or at the very least, reflective of the time. Despite there being plenty to get worked up about in the world, we're living in a "me" society, so I think a lot of the popular music is indicative of that. Nobody has time for change. We’re all too busy with ourselves. It’s sad, really.

With that said, there's still good rock music out there being released every year.
Of course, the ways we discover it may not be the same methods we used years ago & the music biz, in general, isn’t anything like it was, but it's certainly out there. And there's most definitely still an audience for it.

Rock just isn't at the forefront of the mainstream or at the top of the charts like it was years ago, so I think maybe that's what people really mean when they say it's “dead” or on “life support”. And then there’s the fact that these days, it may come under a different guise that doesn’t fall in line with your definition of what rock music is or should be. Therefore, folks won’t call it “rock music” because it’s different from the “rock” music they grew up on.

Therein lies the creation of more sub-genres which is silly and gets out of hand really quick...but that’s a whole other topic.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 04:47:53 PM »
Music is generally tied to cultural and social movements or at the very least, reflective of the time. Despite there being plenty to get worked up about in the world, we're living in a "me" society, so I think a lot of the popular music is indicative of that. Nobody has time for change. We’re all too busy with ourselves. It’s sad, really.

With that said, there's still good rock music out there being released every year.
Of course, the ways we discover it may not be the same methods we used years ago & the music biz, in general, isn’t anything like it was, but it's certainly out there. And there's most definitely still an audience for it.

Rock just isn't at the forefront of the mainstream or at the top of the charts like it was years ago, so I think maybe that's what people really mean when they say it's “dead” or on “life support”. And then there’s the fact that these days, it may come under a different guise that doesn’t fall in line with your definition of what rock music is or should be. Therefore, folks won’t call it “rock music” because it’s different from the “rock” music they grew up on.

Therein lies the creation of more sub-genres which is silly and gets out of hand really quick...but that’s a whole other topic.

This is a lot more honest response with more thought put into it than the usual "rock is dead" crap.

There is a possible world where YOU are some of the reason why things aren't like they used to be.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 05:04:46 PM »

This is such a true statement. The music is directly reflective of the reign of the selfie. It's all very in the "now" and is like the selfie posted today is very disposable by the new flavor of the week next week. I think part of that is we as a society have much shorter attention spans than we used to. This is why the LP is truly becoming a lost art. Singles are big, yes, due to downloading. However bands who make E.P. releases and spread them out over time I think would fair much better in today's world. 

For example a band with say 12 songs recorded..... Could do 1 LP and release it and then not release anything else for a few more years and risk losing people's interest in that gap. Or could release either 2-6 song or 3-4 song E.P.s.  The idea behind this is that in a world which demands something new and exciting to captivate your attention constantly, you can release 1 E.P., tour on it for 3 or 5 months and then replenish that excitement with the release of a new E.P. So you'll always have something new and fresh to talk about/push but it will always be of just the right dosage.

The best rock band going today to me is a little band that is just starting to get their break. They are called Thelma and The Sleaze. I saw them in 2010 and they've just gotten better each time since. They are the real deal in terms of a rock band. They have the talent, the tunes, the look, and the additude. On top of that they have a sense of humor as shown by the plots of their videos. They are gritty as fuck and their live shows have that element of "anything can happen". They just filled the opening slot for EODM on their current tour.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RCFEHTu7qK4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiyNUHUbPYo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hw51x2zBBvA