September 28, 2024, 05:20:06 PM

Author Topic: Janina Castaneda  (Read 40984 times)

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Janina Castaneda
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:39:21 AM »
I decided to create a topic fully devoted to Scott's first wife.
I found that there is quite a lack of information about Scott's first marriage.
I guess we know only the date of marriage and the inspiration for some songs. But nothing more.
???
If you're interested in this thread, please post here any information about their marriage or information about Janina personally (her life before or after Scott).
There is enough information about Mary and Jamie, tons of photo with them, but not Janina.
It seems just like she doesn't even exist or ever existed in this world. Why?
???
Scott was pretty popular in that time and enjoyed his heyday, so I find strange the absence of info about wedding, etc. :-\

We know that lyrics of many great songs were inspired by her and written about her - at least, "Sour Girl", "Atlanta", "Interstate Love Song"!.. We should be grateful to her for such strong inspiration.

Several questions from me:

Are there any wedding photos?

What is her origin (descent)?  Is there any biography of her?

What was the story behind her and Scott? When did they met together for first time?

After long search I have hardly found only 4 photos with Scott and Janina in whole Internet, and they are really rare. Are there any others?

I have read that allegedly there is a photo with Janina in the "Tiny Music..." booklet, is it true?

Thanks in advance to everyone!!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:06:10 PM by Alex »

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
Re: Janina Castaneda
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:42:41 PM »
Interesting topic. I often forget how long Scott and his first wife went on for... I was just going through Mary's book lately and it surprised me how far into the 90s it was until Scott separated his first wife to be with Mary. I mean core happened by then, purple... And I want to say it was getting into the tiny era, even if that didn't fully happen. What I'm saying is that Scott was by far a tabloid usual suspect by then, you'd think there would be more info that was out there from his first wife, just by default.

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 04:51:04 PM »
Maybe theres no tabloid bullshit cause she wasnt a crazed bitch like Mary. I mean just by everything that comes out of her mouth, it had to be hell dealing with her.

Also, do we know for sure that sour girl and atlanta were about her? I mean it seems obvious yes, but are there any interviews where this is said?

Still can't believe this fucked up reality for stp. It realy gets to me sometimes, in the worst of ways...

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 05:07:11 PM »

Also, do we know for sure that sour girl and atlanta were about her? I mean it seems obvious yes, but are there any interviews where this is said?

Mary for one said in her book that each of those was about Janina.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 05:14:18 PM »
There are many songs allegedly about her. "Still Remains", "The Date", among others.

From my understanding they were married Sept 1994 to Feb 2000.
Her surname is of Spanish descent. And with "Atlanta" lyrics, perhaps she's the "Mexican princess"? Just speculation. Although I read some time back on this board that she was Ecuadorian.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 05:35:26 PM »
There are many songs allegedly about her. "Still Remains", "The Date", among others.

From my understanding they were married Sept 1994 to Feb 2000.
Her surname is of Spanish descent. And with "Atlanta" lyrics, perhaps she's the "Mexican princess"? Just speculation. Although I read some time back on this board that she was Ecuadorian.

I've read somewhere that she's mexican. I don't know whether it is true or false.

Interesting topic. I often forget how long Scott and his first wife went on for... I was just going through Mary's book lately and it surprised me how far into the 90s it was until Scott separated his first wife to be with Mary. I mean core happened by then, purple... And I want to say it was getting into the tiny era, even if that didn't fully happen. What I'm saying is that Scott was by far a tabloid usual suspect by then, you'd think there would be more info that was out there from his first wife, just by default.

You mean that Scott started relationship with Mary very long ago, in 90s?
I wonder why Janina never gave any interviews  about Scott at all.
???  Never. Even after his death, when everyone said something or wrote something about Scott.
It is strange.
No word at all, complete silence.
Is she alive?
:-\

Still can't believe this fucked up reality for stp. It realy gets to me sometimes, in the worst of ways...

I understand you so much  :( :(
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:58:42 PM by Alex »

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 07:28:17 PM »
Yeah, Mary and Scott met during the early days before recording core and all that... Scott and Mary would get together and then be apart at a few different times while stp toured. Mary mentioned that while stp was touring in Europe she happened to be there as well for modeling, so they hung out for a little bit there... And then there was a day where management of stp drove Mary quickly away from the band because Janina was expected to meet up and be with Scott again while they were touring...

I'm just kinda giving he surface of this stuff. Mary's book in actually an interesting read if anyone hasn't given it much thought. There's quite a bit to pick up about Scott and stp. She honestly doesn't just use it to bash him... I thought that's all it would be, but surprisingly she comes off quite well in the book.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 09:40:43 PM »
I don't recall exactly which interview it was, it may have been the infamous Stern interview, but I want to say I recall Scott saying that Janina was doing very well and that she was (at the time of the interview) married to some rich banker dude whom she had known for a long time. I recall him referring to Janina as a "wonderful person".

I'm sure she didn't have any statements to make about Scott for the simple reason of what was she supposed to say? She's never been a public figure to begin with. She never seemed to want to be in the limelight. The impression that I get is that Janina is probably just a regular person with a life that she keeps private just like the rest of us.

As far as her former marriage goes, I would be willing to bet that those are years she would rather just forget ever happened. Listen closely to the words of Interstate Love Song. She was living turbulently with an addict who was constantly lying in order to maintain his reality.

Some of those who are closest to me in life are addicts and it's very difficult dealing with them and the constant crazy excuses (lies) and the disappointment they cause, so I know first hand what that is like. I however only have to deal with it in doses, I can't imagine how horrible it must be to be married to that or have to live with someone like that. It takes a very special kind of patience, I must say. So ultimately, yeah, I'm willing to bet it was probably difficult to move on from it all for Janina, but at the same time once she did move on Im also sure she probably doesn't want to look back, and probably wishes she could have those years of wasted youth back to spend with someone else. I'm sure she learned a lot from the experience though.

As far as songs go..... I think Atlanta, Church On Tuesday, Interstate Love Song, Still Remains, and Sour Girl are all about her. As I recall, Scott does talk about it a little bit in an interview from Montreal TV that I have a dvd copy of. (That is a fantastic interview btw, the band seems super happy and the chemistry is totally there) I don't know if it's on YouTube or not.

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 08:33:09 AM »
Yeah, Mary and Scott met during the early days before recording core and all that... Scott and Mary would get together and then be apart at a few different times while stp toured. Mary mentioned that while stp was touring in Europe she happened to be there as well for modeling, so they hung out for a little bit there... And then there was a day where management of stp drove Mary quickly away from the band because Janina was expected to meet up and be with Scott again while they were touring...

Wow wow, I didn't even suspect this. These facts don't honor Scott...  :(  Was he dating 2 girls in the same time? That's completely not honest. I can't believe that. It's very wrong behavior.  :-\  Was he a macho then?
Then his wedding with Janina makes no sense. Poor girl. :(

I don't recall exactly which interview it was, it may have been the infamous Stern interview

Sorry, which one?

[size=78%]I'm sure she didn't have any statements to make about Scott for the simple reason of what was she supposed to say? She's never been a public figure to begin with. She never seemed to want to be in the limelight. The impression that I get is that Janina is probably just a regular person with a life that she keeps private just like the rest of us. [/size]

Well, anyway she put herself in this history as Scott's first wife... So I guess, his death had to touch her.
But yes, probably you're right.

Some of those who are closest to me in life are addicts and it's very difficult dealing with them and the constant crazy excuses (lies) and the disappointment they cause, so I know first hand what that is like. I however only have to deal with it in doses, I can't imagine how horrible it must be to be married to that or have to live with someone like that. It takes a very special kind of patience, I must say.

Well, love must be that very kind of patience.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 08:43:55 AM »
The way I remember reading in Mary's book, there are a couple times when he was seeing the both at the same time, but then there are another couple time frames when it seems as though, they were maybe "on a break" or almost divorced, but then Scott and Janina would get back together or something... seems like a lot of "gray area" type stuff if you know what I mean...I would need to re read and really try digesting those chapters which talk about all that to lay down a time frame or something, but it comes across to me as there were several "on again"... "off again" moments in each of those relationships... but they at least overlapped a time or two into each other based on Mary's book. When she found out about it... then it would be awhile before she would talk to Scott again. You probably get the idea I'm trying to describe here...

I wouldn't hold too much of a negative perception towards Scott's name here though.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »
Here you go Alex......

Watch starting at 6:00 through 7:30.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wTo8nSRZjsA

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 06:16:17 PM »
If you look at the Purple cooklet i believe theres a pic with Scott and Janina so they must have still been together, during the recording of that album.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 08:11:38 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wTo8nSRZjsA

I remember this interview. Man, he looks like a broken man on here.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 08:08:11 AM »
If you look at the Purple cooklet i believe theres a pic with Scott and Janina so they must have still been together, during the recording of that album.

Yeah, they got married after Purple was released. There are pics of the two in the Tiny Music booklet as well. I remember reading that they finally separated in 1998. Scott's drug use ruined their relationship, he said it himself.
I had the midwife naked and alone

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 03:14:13 PM »
Oh yeah it was actually the Tiny booklet not Purple, got em confused.  Thanks
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"