September 25, 2024, 06:20:48 AM

Author Topic: STP singer submission thread  (Read 15729 times)

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP singer submission thread
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2016, 03:41:49 AM »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2016, 02:01:04 PM »

I've liked what I've seen of them too, though not a uhhh huge fan of Collens guitar tones. They're ploughing a similar furrow to Glenn Hughes I think

You think?  Black Country Communion and California Breed were just straight up hard rock, they didn't sound anything like Delta Deep to me.

Davidssimpson2012

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2016, 08:33:05 PM »

I've liked what I've seen of them too, though not a uhhh huge fan of Collens guitar tones. They're ploughing a similar furrow to Glenn Hughes I think

You think?  Black Country Communion and California Breed were just straight up hard rock, they didn't sound anything like Delta Deep to me.

Delta does cover an old Deep Purple tune Mistreated (Burn, 74') so I can see the Hughes reference.
And Robert's bass tone is much of that as well. In all reality that goes back to John Paul Jones-and John Entwistle. These are good things. Great influences.
Over-driven PBass  (which is probably the greatest rock/ blues bass tone in the universe) is shared by many. I cant say there's a clear history of who was first....
anywhoo.

Im a big Hughes fan..so if anything resemble that- I'm good with it.     

Saw DD a few nights ago- Phil's tone is a bit "metal" for me, but hey- its their record. I like the songs. Lets call it a fusion of heavier rock (tones) and more traditional blues. On the more mellow songs he reeled in a cleaner tone. He has the reigns on volume and presence. Not a gain hog. He plays for the song and stays in the pocket.
Robert and the drummer (Forrest) were lock step. Held it down great. The highlight for me was Debbie Blackwell-Cook. She's a terrific singer and front woman. She worked the crowd well. Obvious experience there.  These are not rookies so I expected no less. The performance was solid by all and it was very cool to see players of this caliber in a small room.  I wish them success and look forward to hearing more material. 

TheWaterThatYouLeave

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2016, 02:47:00 AM »

His solo stuff.  Also they cover 'Mistreated' which is a Hughes era Deep Purple cover that's been in Glenn's solo setlist for years.

TheWaterThatYouLeave

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2016, 02:54:20 AM »

Delta does cover an old Deep Purple tune Mistreated (Burn, 74') so I can see the Hughes reference.
And Robert's bass tone is much of that as well. In all reality that goes back to John Paul Jones-and John Entwistle. These are good things. Great influences.
Over-driven PBass  (which is probably the greatest rock/ blues bass tone in the universe) is shared by many. I cant say there's a clear history of who was first....
anywhoo.

Saw DD a few nights ago- Phil's tone is a bit "metal" for me, but hey- its their record. I like the songs. Lets call it a fusion of heavier rock (tones) and more traditional blues. On the more mellow songs he reeled in a cleaner tone. He has the reigns on volume and presence. Not a gain hog. He plays for the song and stays in the pocket.
Robert and the drummer (Forrest) were lock step. Held it down great. The highlight for me was Debbie Blackwell-Cook. She's a terrific singer and front woman. She worked the crowd well. Obvious experience there.  These are not rookies so I expected no less. The performance was solid by all and it was very cool to see players of this caliber in a small room.  I wish them success and look forward to hearing more material.

Do you have the album 'fused' that GH made with Tony Iommi ? That's a great record.

Davidssimpson2012

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2016, 04:51:04 PM »

anywhoo.

Do you have the album 'fused' that GH made with Tony Iommi ? That's a great record.

cant say that I do - I'll give it listen. I'm sure its good stuff.   

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2016, 08:24:30 PM »
Some dude on an STP facebook group posted a congratulations to that Filipino guy John Borja and says he's really close to his dream. I guess take that with a grain of salt. Does anyone know anything?
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2016, 09:01:10 PM »
Yay, just what STP needs is a Weiland imitator. Looking forward to seeing them on next year's county fair side stage tour.

Hey, if it worked for Journey.....
Bleeda blooda

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2016, 09:08:35 PM »
Yay, just what STP needs is a Weiland imitator. Looking forward to seeing them on next year's county fair side stage tour.

Hey, if it worked for Journey.....

Hoping it's just BS.
I wonder how many "established" guys they jammed with.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2016, 03:46:33 PM »
The kid has great pipes and handles the back catalog amazingly, but what I'm more interested in is: does he have melody writing chops? If not, then as Andrew said, he would be regarded as a Scott imitator and the band will be treated purely as a nostalgia act.

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2016, 02:40:30 PM »
The kid has great pipes and handles the back catalog amazingly, but what I'm more interested in is: does he have melody writing chops? If not, then as Andrew said, he would be regarded as a Scott imitator and the band will be treated purely as a nostalgia act.

He does.  But that remains to be seen if he gets some instrumental tracks from STP.

TheWaterThatYouLeave

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2016, 02:24:26 PM »

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2016, 02:44:06 PM »
Personally I'm only really interested in seeing STP march forward with a highly energetic female fronting the band at this point. I just don't see any other way to cover new ground acceptably.

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2016, 04:49:20 PM »

Jordis Unga could rock that well

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2016, 04:53:57 PM »
Love Jordis Unga.

I think Allison Iraheta would kill STP songs.