October 01, 2024, 04:32:22 PM

Author Topic: Brett Scallions?  (Read 10059 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Brett Scallions?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 10:04:17 PM »
Like I said before, people doubting his own  writing because Bell wrote the early stuff should check out the Puppet String album, where Brett wrote all the lyrics and melodies. Vocals like on that album paired with the DeLeos songs could be pretty amazing.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 11:39:00 PM »
 My thoughts, if they go w/ Brett Scallions not only would they just move themselves as a band two steps forward, but also they will stay in the aftermath that is the wreck of Weiland/STP.  What I mean by that is, between Scott’s two wives “wonderful” articles in Rolling Stones & Billboard, those three Guys got stuck in all that nasty, trailer trash talk that the only way to save the Name, Band & themselves is to go for broker.  They have to mix it up & change it out or they will be stuck w/ Chester or Brett doing random Greatest Hits tours & they may as well call themselves Journey.

I dig that they have the guts to try & change themselves.  I don’t think they want to compromise the Music, but they definitely want to phase out the “Weiland portion” of it.  I don’t blame them.  Why continue that route when they have a second chance & they are more than talented & capable as such.

I’m also sure that Brett & Chester doesn’t want to ride Weiland’s coattails as much as Dean, Eric & Rob.  I wouldn’t want those two to compromise themselves as Singer/Songwriters either.  I say STP, “Go for IT!!!

8) :-* :(

And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 11:41:23 PM »
Puppet strings is a great album and Brett did write some early songs here and there but he really dug deep to reform Fuel and grew leaps and bounds as an artist in the last five years. If Fuel was still huge he would be considered a huge talent as well.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 01:42:28 AM »
It's not the prospect of Brett on his own it's the prospect of him with other great song writers. Weiland was better with the Deleo's and Kretz than on his own. He had some pretty great stuff solo but never achieved what he did without other great song writers around him. It's like a sports team one great player doesn't make the team great but several decent to great players make the team great.

That's all personal preference that I can see a few of us having different views of.

I mean STP, is STP... but there are many days I love getting lost in Scott's solo stuff, meaning it can transport me to some cool places just as any STP stuff can.

I-want-a-time-machine

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 03:00:33 AM »
Indeed like 12bar blues and happy do for me and I've grown quite fond of Velvet revolver, that would not have happened if Scott wasn't in it.

I guess some people are very singer oriented while others are more focussing on the music itself, for the first group it is hard to accept a different singer, because the original one struck a chord with them and they don't think the new one will ever achieve that.
half the art school girl she used to be...

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 04:37:53 AM »
Brett plays guitar, as well, so I wonder if he'd consider joining STP in just a vocal/writing role.

Would Dean be cool with a second guitar? Could be interesting. I've enjoyed a lot of Brett's work.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 09:48:57 PM »
Brett plays guitar, as well, so I wonder if he'd consider joining STP in just a vocal/writing role.

Would Dean be cool with a second guitar? Could be interesting. I've enjoyed a lot of Brett's work.

Brett was cool just singing with Riders on the Storm, so I don't imagine he HAS to play guitar all the time. But it does open a lot of possibilities. Songs like Adhesive are still on the table, and we could possibly get more complete versions of Creep and Pretty Penny if the DeLeos wanted.

I know Dean is proud of the fact that STP is a one guitar band like Led Zeppelin, but considering how excited they were by the prospect of Chester being able to play rhythm they may be interested in another singer who can pick up the guitar if the song requires it.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 11:53:31 PM »
From Brett's own Twitter: http://youtu.be/GQRpeZ95NGg

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 04:30:32 PM »
So almost four years ago I saw Fuel perform at an event in Dayton.  Brett was actually really impressive.  Great stage presence and energy.  Could be interesting. 

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 07:24:56 PM »
Brett is one of the few people out there that can revitalize a group of musicians look what he did to rebuild fuel. Especially after losing such a huge talent like Carl Bell. I saw them open up for Aerosmith when Sunburn came out and they blew aerosmith out of the water. Then I saw them a couple of years later and they were electric only band I've seen that could hold a candle to STP. Velvet Revolver was great live but still not as good as Fuel live.

n25philly

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 09:06:40 PM »
I've seen Fuel play at least a half dozen times since he put them together, and they haven't had the same band together for two shows.  Fuel very much is Brett right now.  I'd kind of hate to see him become STP's new singer because even touring with the band of the week they are just amazing live.  I don't see brett putting that much effort into putting Fuel back together to put it aside.  Only way I see that happening is if they combine the bands.

Yes Fuel has only put out one album since being put back together, but from what I understand it took a ton of work to get the album out.  I think it took something like 1.5-2 years to get the album out after it was recorded.  I know I heard them play "Headache" from the Puppet String something like 5 years ago right after he got the rights back playing in a tiny local bar.  It was a long road to get back to where they are now.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 09:17:24 PM »
This is an uphill battle, any way you slice it. 
I've never seen Fuel live, so I can't comment on their live show. I only know some of the music.
But I can say that I've seen Linkin Park a few times. Very high energy. Good live show. I might even be as bold to say that they stole the show back when I caught them with STP & Staind on the Family Values Tour. Yet, when Chester was fronting STP, there was just something missing...even as he did his best to give us a little bit of Scott in his mannerisms.

I was never able to pinpoint what it was exactly, but despite everything else that Scott brought to the table, there was an intangible x-factor - perhaps a swagger - that is also a hard void to fill...especially for a lesser known guy.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Rol2292

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 02:11:33 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been touched on - would Brett go from, basically being CEO of Fuel to an employee of STP?

I think he fits. He, like Chester, was a huge STP fan. He'd know what it would take to pay homage to the past while bringing a presence to whatever future music they'd write and record. Of course, this is if he was even in the conversation...
Werd to Big Berd!

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 02:34:03 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been touched on - would Brett go from, basically being CEO of Fuel to an employee of STP?

I think he fits. He, like Chester, was a huge STP fan. He'd know what it would take to pay homage to the past while bringing a presence to whatever future music they'd write and record. Of course, this is if he was even in the conversation...

I think Riders on the Storm may point to the answer to that. This position would be similar to his role there, but with the added bonus of being able to craft new music with the DeLeos. Of course, it would be a longer commitment than the three years he put with Manzarek and Krieger.

But as I said before, Fuel doesn't tour or record as extensively as LP, it seems. It's conceivable that Brett could balance both STP and Fuel in much the same way Scott was able to balance STP and his solo work. Hopefully the DeLeos wouldn't see that as too much of a compromise. I'd rather have a great singer with a little off time that an adequate singer with an empty schedule.

Rol2292

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 03:00:05 AM »
I hope he's on the radar - any idea if the two sides have had a conversation?
Werd to Big Berd!