September 29, 2024, 07:24:51 AM

Author Topic: Chester Reunites for One-Off  (Read 12913 times)

hahninator

• Pilot
  • Read between the lines...
    • View Profile
    • LPLive
Re: Chester Reunites for One-Off
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2016, 10:21:15 PM »
I'm going to this show Sunday, coming from Georgia. Will anyone else be there?

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2016, 01:15:02 AM »
Should be interesting.  STP songs played by Rob,Dean,Eric for 1st time since Scott died.  Hopefully, there's a mini tribute they decide to do.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2016, 09:10:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4uVbUEAtGE

Anyone go to this?

EDIT: According to Setlist.fm, this was the set

Wicked Garden
Vasoline
Big Bang Baby
Crackerman
Big Empty
Interstate
Plush
Sex Type Thing
Trippin'
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 09:17:27 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Davidssimpson2012

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2016, 10:01:18 PM »
Chester can come up with some decent melodies, but lyrically, he just can't. That was Scott's best asset, his ability to write great song lyrics.

Yep. Word smithing  is always the challenge. And then making it relatable behind the music it's woven into... takes practice and patience. To any budding songwriter- my advice (given to me): hang around with people that write good songs, read alot about those that write great songs. And look in the mirror alot. Best topic (and the one you might know the least about) is usually yourself....    ;-)

chloesdad

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2016, 02:33:54 PM »

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2016, 02:41:55 PM »
Wicked Garden
Vasoline
Big Bang Baby
Crackerman
Big Empty
Interstate
Plush
Sex Type Thing
Trippin'

I’m not looking to get over-analytical on a brief benefit performance, but I find it extremely telling that they didn’t even bother with anything off of High Rise knowing that this is most likely the last time they play with Chester. It’s a benefit. You’re not trying to win over the audience. Play some deep cuts, or at the very least, songs from the one release that you put out with the guy.

How are you supposed to convince your fans that “there’s plenty of future” when all you do, time and time again, is rely on the past?
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2016, 03:21:55 PM »
"Out Of Time" happens to be the only song they like to play.
At the time of its release, the song was a direct message to Scott. They were literally telling Scott that he should "look inside" himself and that "it's time" for him to "decide", because he's "running out of time". And he did run out of it, in the end. I can see why they woudn't want to play it now.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:25:31 PM by Tyrant »
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2016, 04:06:08 PM »
At the time of its release, the song was a direct message to Scott. They were literally telling Scott that he should "look inside" himself and that "it's time" for him to "decide", because he's "running out of time". And he did run out of it, in the end. I can see why they woudn't want to play it now.

Good point. Black Heart was the only other one they played live off of High Rise, and while it wasn't about Scott, it still might've been in poor taste too.

Then again, I find it weird that my local radio station keeps playing Dead & Bloated.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2016, 04:06:39 PM »
It's telling of how absurdly hypercritical people are of everything these guys do, that they go out to play a show for charity, for a non-STP audience, and they get condemned for not playing deep cuts.

It's a charity gig, so they should play songs the audience won't know? It's hard to think of a more ridiculous criticism really.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2016, 06:19:06 PM »

Good point. Black Heart was the only other one they played live off of High Rise, and while it wasn't about Scott, it still might've been in poor taste too.

Then again, I find it weird that my local radio station keeps playing Dead & Bloated.

Why?
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2016, 06:21:40 PM »
It's telling of how absurdly hypercritical people are of everything these guys do, that they go out to play a show for charity, for a non-STP audience, and they get condemned for not playing deep cuts.

It's a charity gig, so they should play songs the audience won't know? It's hard to think of a more ridiculous criticism really.

I completely agree.

I can't imagine who would want to hear deep cuts at some random charity event.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2016, 08:10:30 PM »
I threw out the term "deep cuts" there as an addendum, but what I really meant was a song or two off of "High Rise", which quite frankly, at this point, might as well be a deep cut. They enjoyed playing & creating with guy so much that the music they wrote together appears nowhere at a one-off show.

If you want to call it hyper-critical, that's fine. I simply call it fact.

It's just more of the same and I wish it weren't so. They are so much better than that.
In this case, I'm talking songs or A SONG from the most current release. It would have been nice. That's all. I mean, if you don't play those songs with Chester, are you going to play them with singer #3?
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2016, 08:20:18 PM »
I threw out the term "deep cuts" there as an addendum, but what I really meant was a song or two off of "High Rise", which quite frankly, at this point, might as well be a deep cut. They enjoyed playing & creating with guy so much that the music they wrote together appears nowhere live, even at a one-off show. It's just more of the same and I wish it weren't so. They are so much better than that.

If you want to call it hyper-critical, that's fine. I simply call it fact.

In this case, I'm talking songs or A SONG from the most current release. It would have been nice. That's all. I mean, if you don't play those songs with Chester, are you going to play them with singer #3?

High Rise isn't the only album no material was played off of. They only played material off the first 3 albums. And it's been well over two years since High Rise came out, so I wouldn't call it an 'current release'.

They just played their most iconic radio hits, which is exactly what you should expect from an event like this.

The one disappointment for me is that, considering the 'Classic to Rock' theme, they didn't take the opportunity to play with a string section for a song or two... Even if it was just Sour Girl or Big Empty.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2016, 12:57:28 AM »
Did any of em say something about Scott?
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2016, 04:54:32 AM »
It's cool that they did this for charity but this sounds awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8udlVV3BE