September 29, 2024, 07:24:01 AM

Author Topic: Chester Reunites for One-Off  (Read 12912 times)

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Chester Reunites for One-Off
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 12:14:40 AM »
As it was previously said, I thought Chester was a great fit to sing with STP, I just felt at that point in time it was done in distaste to Scott.

I would be on board with Chester continuing on as a respectable replacement.  But it seems the rest of the guys know they need a person around full time to really move forward as a band as opposed to remaining a Greatest Hits novelty act for mini-tour stints and random festivals.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 01:43:41 AM »
You know, I actually listened to "Black Heart" the other day. It's a strong song, really. It would've been great to hear Scott on it. It's a fantastic riff. It hits right out of the gate with that super catchy riff. It's definitely got a bit of a self-titled vibe, sounds a touch like Hazy Days. It was just interesting to listen to, because I think it really showcases that the band (STP) can make Chester (or someone else) sound good. I don't know, it just said a lot about their musicality in that instant when I happened to hear it come on in my car. Still, would've been amazing to hear Scott on it.

Black Heart is a great song.

Wonder what the guys will say about Scott at this gig
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 02:45:25 AM »
Nice that they'll have a proper final show with Chester. Since the event is classical music oriented, I wonder if they'll possibly play with a string section? Maybe breakout Atlanta or Kitchenware in tribute to Scott?

Obviously the most ideal scenario, besides Scott being alive and sober, would have been for Chester to continue with the band. They just aren't going to find someone else with all of his qualifications. It's so frustrating to think that they have most of an album of material sitting in the wings, and if it weren't for Linkin Park we could probably be listening to it right now.

You know, I actually listened to "Black Heart" the other day. It's a strong song, really. It would've been great to hear Scott on it. It's a fantastic riff. It hits right out of the gate with that super catchy riff. It's definitely got a bit of a self-titled vibe, sounds a touch like Hazy Days. It was just interesting to listen to, because I think it really showcases that the band (STP) can make Chester (or someone else) sound good. I don't know, it just said a lot about their musicality in that instant when I happened to hear it come on in my car. Still, would've been amazing to hear Scott on it.

Never got the hate for Black Heart. Hands down the catchiest riff on and STP song since the reunion. And I honestly think if Scott did the exact same vocals to the song, people would have loved it. I think people trashed Chester's involvement just for the sake of trashing Chester's involvement... As usual.

Anyway, anyone who still feels lukewarm about High Rise still should give it another spin. The album has the classic STP benefit of getting better with each listen. Black Heart, Same on the Inside, and Tomorrow are all better compositions than most of S/T.

The shame of the album isn't that the music is rushed... The shame is they had 4 tracks that would have been right at home on a great album, and they didn't wait until they had more material like that to release it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:37:34 AM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 02:58:22 AM »
Nice that they'll have a proper final show with Chester. Since the event is classical music oriented, I wonder if they'll possibly play with a singer section? Maybe breakout Atlanta or Kitchenware in tribute to Scott?

Obviously the most ideal scenario, besides Scott being alive and sober, would have been for Chester to continue with the band. They just aren't going to find someone else with all of his qualifications. It's so frustrating to think that they have most of an album of material sitting in the wings, and if it weren't for Linkin Park we could probably be listening to it right now.

Never got the hate for Black Heart. Hands down the catchiest riff on and STP song since the reunion. And I honestly think if Scott did the exact same vocals to the song, people would have loved it. I think people trashed Chester's involvement just for the sake of trashing Chester's involvement... As usual.

Anyway, anyone who still feels lukewarm about High Rise still should give it another spin. The album has the classic STP benefit of getting better with each listen. Black Heart, Same on the Inside, and Tomorrow are all better compositions than most of S/T.

The shame of the album isn't that the music is rushed... The shame is they had 4 tracks that would have been right at home on a great album, and they didn't wait until they had more material like that to release it.
I really like black heart, out of time, and tomorrow. But I can't see the love for same on the inside. At all. Not even a little. And cry cry can be fun at times but it's not up to the stp standard. But I loved self titled so it all comes down to personal taste really

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 04:08:20 AM »
Let's be honest the music is better than S/T I have never been big on lyrics as long as they sound good and aren't full of profanity. The mix of Chester and STP was a great fit best thing we have other than Scott or Richard Patrick. Whether you like Chester or not he is a great performer and talent. Too bad it didn't work out but I believe too they should release at least the tracks they completed and do a mini tour and even if they get a new singer they should still also keep recording with Chester and call it STP with chester bennington when they have extra time. This would get out as much music as possible to the fans and possibly keep more people happy. As Dean and Robert said in their last interview there is no time for egos in a band.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 06:58:51 AM »
Hopefully we get a nicely recorded copy of this gig....
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 03:39:20 PM »
I really like black heart, out of time, and tomorrow. But I can't see the love for same on the inside. At all. Not even a little. And cry cry can be fun at times but it's not up to the stp standard. But I loved self titled so it all comes down to personal taste really

It's so funny.
For me, "Tomorrow" is that song that gets high praise but I just think is just OK.
"Same On The Inside" is my favorite on the EP. I personally think it's Chester's best work of the 5 songs.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 04:49:36 PM »

It's so funny.
For me, "Tomorrow" is that song that gets high praise but I just think is just OK.
"Same On The Inside" is my favorite on the EP. I personally think it's Chester's best work of the 5 songs.
I'm actually the same way.  I enjoy "Same On The Inside" but this Tomorrow is kind of dull and Black Heart is a bit too reminiscent of other STP songs (and has a really dull chorus). 

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 05:27:30 PM »

It's so funny.
I'm actually the same way.  I enjoy "Same On The Inside" but this Tomorrow is kind of dull and Black Heart is a bit too reminiscent of other STP songs (and has a really dull chorus). 

"Same On The Inside" was the song that actually gave me hope about a Chester-fronted STP. Haha.
In hindsight, while Chester's Scott-isms made some people nauseous, I thought he brought the right mix of his own thing all the while giving just enough "Scott" to pacify the fan-base until they were more accepting, if ever.

He would never be Scott, but even in the melodies and his phrasing, he honored Scott's approach somewhat.
It's interesting to ponder if the vocal approach is indeed a result of the Deleo's writing sometimes.

For example, there are moments on "High Rise" that if I take a step back and imagine Scott singing some of those Chester lines, it's not far-fetched [for me] to hear Scott deliver those "kinds" of lines. More than I can say for Richard Patrick's in AoA.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 11:18:45 PM »
To me, when listening to the EP, it is obvious that Out of Time came first.

On the rest of the EP, Chester actually settles in and sings instead of relying on his famous LP screaming during the chorus of Out of Time. Yet Out of Time has that great pre-chorus that is vintage STP.

Tomorrow would have been right at home on SLDD, and I think Black Heart would be at home on self-titled. Same on the Inside and Cry Cry are the lesser tracks, though they still sound more like a cohesive band than they do on Out of Time.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 02:40:11 AM »
'Black Heart' is not only the worst song on 'High Rise' but it is the worst song released under the STP name... In my opinion of course.
Those lyrics are truly awful, just read them, they really do remind me of something my friend in high school wrote for our 'metal band' when we were 14.

Picture this being sung over some shitty thrash riffs by some high school kids and tell me it doesn't fit perfectly -

"Black heart's comin', he’s a cold machine
Cuts like a knife, gentle and clean
Face like an angel, mind of a killer
Nobody else gonna love her better"
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:44:04 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 03:20:48 AM »
Chester can come up with some decent melodies, but lyrically, he just can't. That was Scott's best asset, his ability to write great song lyrics.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 08:59:13 PM »
'Black Heart' is not only the worst song on 'High Rise' but it is the worst song released under the STP name... In my opinion of course.
Those lyrics are truly awful, just read them, they really do remind me of something my friend in high school wrote for our 'metal band' when we were 14.

Picture this being sung over some shitty thrash riffs by some high school kids and tell me it doesn't fit perfectly -

"Black heart's comin', he’s a cold machine
Cuts like a knife, gentle and clean
Face like an angel, mind of a killer
Nobody else gonna love her better"

Doesn't sound like a thrash song at all, or amateurish, to me. I honestly think you've just convinced yourself of that because you don't want to give Chester a shot. Imagine those exact same lyrics sung by Scott, would you at all hold the same opinion? I imagine not.

And if we're gonna release the 'terrible STP lyrics' genie from the bottle, let's not forget that Scott wrote some absolute turds in S/T.

She don't even like you anymore
Ain't no chance she loves you like before
She will even take you to the mall

You're honestly going to tell me Black Heart sounds more amateurish than THAT?
Grab the hate and drown it out...

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2016, 09:18:52 PM »
Part of me wonders if instead of being in the key of G, Black Heart might have been played in D for Scott, which would have made it more familiar to many STP listeners.

Either way, I think if people were honest with themselves, Scott could have easily written that exact melody for that song.

hahninator

• Pilot
  • Read between the lines...
    • View Profile
    • LPLive
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2016, 09:24:30 PM »
$250 tix, $500 tix...both of those are GA. $500 is first few rows of seats. The VIP packages are a few thousand a piece. $3,500 for 2 people if you want the M&G. Pretty dang expensive.