October 01, 2024, 10:17:54 AM

Author Topic: Vocals on Down  (Read 2727 times)

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Vocals on Down
« on: February 17, 2016, 07:57:18 AM »
Anyone else notice that the vocals on Down are difficult to hear? Always found that strange. You can barely hear Scott on the chorus.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
Re: Vocals on Down
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »
With Down I'm ok how it sounds... but generally speaking when critiquing the album "No.4", the production of mixing is one thing brought up.

A song that usually comes to mind as for not being able to hear the lyrics clearly is "Trippin". The song sounds great and all, but Scott's lyrics don't stand out that good in certain areas... Mainly the whole "lottery, death bed motorcade" stuff. For years I don't know what was being said there... However, every live version I've watched or listened to it comes off just fine.

There are actually many songs that make me think about the mixing process, but that's the first one that comes to my mind.

chrisinger

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 06:10:33 PM »
With Down I'm ok how it sounds... but generally speaking when critiquing the album "No.4", the production of mixing is one thing brought up.

A song that usually comes to mind as for not being able to hear the lyrics clearly is "Trippin". The song sounds great and all, but Scott's lyrics don't stand out that good in certain areas... Mainly the whole "lottery, death bed motorcade" stuff. For years I don't know what was being said there... However, every live version I've watched or listened to it comes off just fine.

There are actually many songs that make me think about the mixing process, but that's the first one that comes to my mind.

I was about to say something very similar, I agree with everything you stated. I think all STP recordings are somewhat hit and miss, when it come to certain auditory expectations, and I guess they liked that, but I and some local recording engineers I have met have scratched their heads at time over STP. I hold it to the idea that they just were going for their own unique recording style, but it is a curious thing.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:17:35 PM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:41:33 PM by Flyingmerpa »

TaylorCJ

• Co-Pilot
  • We told her that you loved her
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 09:25:53 PM »
I read some interview where Dean said he didn't like the guitar mix during the chorus I think of Lady Picture Show and said it was a bit too harsh on the ears.  For myself I have a hard time listening to Sex and Violence, especially loud on headphones because it is just excruciatingly painful of a mix.

I've always found S&V to be the hardest song to listen to in the whole catalog because of the mix. The live performances of the song sound great but excruciatingly painful is spot on for the album version.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 09:31:16 PM »
On the note of being a little tough to listen/adjust to, "All In The Suit" comes to mind. I remember when I use to listen to the Thank You CD back in the day(...its been years now), I always had to adjust volume when that track kicked on.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 01:46:09 AM »
Thought I was the only one that had that issue with Sex n Violence.  Also have issue with Regeneration, as it can't go as loud as others on album as it sounds harsh, for lack of a better word
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 06:57:24 AM »
I say it here every chance I can get... No. 4 is the STP album that is most in need of remastering. They should've junked the low-fi metal mix and gone for the kind of sound balancing that was on Purple.

I honestly hope that No. 4 gets a re-mastered reissue. I always have.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 08:13:04 PM »
I've never thought any of STP's catalog to be particular "difficult" to listen to due to the production/mixing. No. 4 certainly has the poorest mix/production out of their whole catalog, though. Core is a close second though, maybe even tied. Tiny Music isn't far behind... TM is like a blend between the production styles of Purple and No. 4. Purple was far and away the best-- perfect tone throughout that entire record. Core would have been good, but way too much reverb and the treble is too bright. Ever hear the isolated vocals from Core, WITHOUT the reverb/effects applied? Man, talk about ass kicking vocal power.

So while I think No. 4 is definitely the worst, I think Core stands to benefit the most from a remix, if that makes any sense. They should do a Core Redux just like they did with PJ's Ten album-- the production problems with Core are almost identical to the problems the original pressing of Ten has (too much reverb, too bright).

chrisinger

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 10:53:55 PM »
I've never thought any of STP's catalog to be particular "difficult" to listen to due to the production/mixing. No. 4 certainly has the poorest mix/production out of their whole catalog, though. Core is a close second though, maybe even tied. Tiny Music isn't far behind... TM is like a blend between the production styles of Purple and No. 4. Purple was far and away the best-- perfect tone throughout that entire record. Core would have been good, but way too much reverb and the treble is too bright. Ever hear the isolated vocals from Core, WITHOUT the reverb/effects applied? Man, talk about ass kicking vocal power.

So while I think No. 4 is definitely the worst, I think Core stands to benefit the most from a remix, if that makes any sense. They should do a Core Redux just like they did with PJ's Ten album-- the production problems with Core are almost identical to the problems the original pressing of Ten has (too much reverb, too bright).

The DVD-A of Core I have is the best I have heard it ever. It does sound amazing, with a better lower end balance against the treble.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 08:12:54 AM »

Check out the Core DVD-Audio. I've pimped that pressing several times here as well.... It's the real deal and might change your mind about Core's production or mastering....

Of all the double dips that have happened with 90's rock acts, I can't believe that No. 4 never got one. It was a grammy winning album and had a huge crossover Pop track with Sour Girl.  It just makes sense to go back to it. Honestly, I'd be more thrilled about a No. 4 remaster from STP than a new album release.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 08:29:19 AM »
Completely agree RE Sex and Violence. But it's really just the beginning. After the first 1-2 seconds of the song sting the eardrums, it's generally fine.

I am surprised no one else agrees about Down. The vocals are too quiet, especially the last chorus.