September 30, 2024, 02:44:00 AM

Author Topic: Samba Nova Questions  (Read 3006 times)

EsemJayes

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Samba Nova Questions
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:28:34 AM »
Hey guys. I've been obsessed with Samba Nova for years since I've heard it before their s/t album. Does anyone have any more info about it? Why was it excluded from SLDD? Is there a better version of the original bootleg? I know they re-recorded it, but I prefer Scott's vocals on the original. Also, who produced the original version?

Thanks for the info.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Samba Nova Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 08:50:28 PM »
Hey guys. I've been obsessed with Samba Nova for years since I've heard it before their s/t album. Does anyone have any more info about it? Why was it excluded from SLDD? Is there a better version of the original bootleg? I know they re-recorded it, but I prefer Scott's vocals on the original. Also, who produced the original version?

Thanks for the info.

I don't have firm info, but there was talk of SLDD being a double album. That song, recorded during those sessions, perhaps just found itself on the cutting room floor. I'd guess Brendan produced it. And from what I remember, when they originally leaked, the quality wasn't bad.

Robert DeLeo: "Samba Nova' was another song I was saving for solo stuff. Talk about making you cry, you should hear that done in a more traditional Brazilin feel with a female singing it. That made me cry. That song and 'About A Fool' were both things I had in mind for solo stuff. Very rarely as a writer do I really move myself into the listener's point of view. Those two really did that."

This and more at:
http://www.belowempty.com/forum/index.php?topic=846.msg10969#msg10969
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:45:39 PM »
I know they re-recorded it, but I prefer Scott's vocals on the original.
Also, the newer version wasn't re-recorded. It's the same recording, bur remastered/polished up for the official release.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:46:20 PM »
I didn't know there was more than one "version" of this song. I thought the version that was released on self-titled was the same recording they recorded during the SLDD sessions. So you're saying they actually re-recorded this song for self-titled? And the "leaked" version from the SLDD sessions is different? Never knew that. I deleted the MP3 I had of the song as soon as self-titled came out and it was on there, haha. I wouldn't have if I knew they were different.

EDIT: Well I guess Tyrant set that one straight, so I was pretty much right anyway.

EsemJayes

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 12:02:46 AM »
Also, the newer version wasn't re-recorded. It's the same recording, bur remastered/polished up for the official release.

I'm not sure about that. Scott's melody is different in some spots between the two versions.

EsemJayes

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 12:03:41 AM »

Thanks for the info.

I don't have firm info, but there was talk of SLDD being a double album. That song, recorded during those sessions, perhaps just found itself on the cutting room floor. I'd guess Brendan produced it. And from what I remember, when they originally leaked, the quality wasn't bad.

Robert DeLeo: "Samba Nova' was another song I was saving for solo stuff. Talk about making you cry, you should hear that done in a more traditional Brazilin feel with a female singing it. That made me cry. That song and 'About A Fool' were both things I had in mind for solo stuff. Very rarely as a writer do I really move myself into the listener's point of view. Those two really did that."

This and more at:
http://www.belowempty.com/forum/index.php?topic=846.msg10969#msg10969

Wow thanks for the info. So does that mean Robert wrote the Scott's melody too?

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 07:18:10 AM »

I'm not sure about that. Scott's melody is different in some spots between the two versions.

Really? I'm another one who thought it was the same version as the leak but just mastered properly...
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

EsemJayes

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 07:50:39 AM »

Really? I'm another one who thought it was the same version as the leak but just mastered properly...

Well, being the nerd that I am, I imported both versions into Abelton and compared them. It seems the timing is a little different overall, like, I tried lining them up and it was impossible. Next, Scotts vocal melody is identical for the mosttt part, but it actually is different in one or two spots, but it is possible they just used an alternative take or edited it or something. But, I think it's the same version like you said just remixed but I'm not 100%.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 02:08:44 PM »
There's no way Scott pulled that take out during the ST sessions, it's stronger than any other vocal on the album.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 04:37:30 PM »

Well, being the nerd that I am, I imported both versions into Abelton and compared them. It seems the timing is a little different overall, like, I tried lining them up and it was impossible. Next, Scotts vocal melody is identical for the mosttt part, but it actually is different in one or two spots, but it is possible they just used an alternative take or edited it or something. But, I think it's the same version like you said just remixed but I'm not 100%.

wow, thanks for the info......could you provide the exact spots where the melody is a bit different? 
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

PilotsFan

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 05:08:41 PM »
It's been a while since I've listened to both versions,  but as I recall, the word "been" in the lyric "...money's been spent" is a different note.  The newer version also has more of an echo sound to the vocals. There may be other differences as well, that's just off the top of my head.  Great song.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 05:20:47 PM »
It'd been a little while since I listened to any of those outtakes from those days. But songs like this, About a Fool & You Can't Drive Me Away, just drive the point home that no matter what they do (with a new singer), they will just never touch (or even come close to) this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgt4q_dg0Ec
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 06:20:21 PM »
Yeah, love both of those tunes
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

EsemJayes

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 10:48:04 PM »
It's been a while since I've listened to both versions,  but as I recall, the word "been" in the lyric "...money's been spent" is a different note.  The newer version also has more of an echo sound to the vocals. There may be other differences as well, that's just off the top of my head.  Great song.

Exactly, the melody is different during that phrase. The echo could be added later.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 06:57:52 AM »
There's no way Scott pulled that take out during the ST sessions, it's stronger than any other vocal on the album.

Agreed.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..