September 25, 2024, 04:24:05 PM

Author Topic: STP announce new singer search  (Read 60965 times)

FuzzyDunlop

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: STP announce new singer search
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2016, 10:45:15 PM »
I hope what Dean said at the beginning of the interview was true that they won't go on unless they find the right singer. Sounds like they're not completely sold on any of the guys they've met with, and if this online search doesn't yield what they're looking for I hope they don't just settle on any of them if they don't feel 100% about it.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2016, 11:41:40 PM »
I wish they would've asked about doing a full band retrospective now that Scott's gone.  Missed opportunity. 

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2016, 11:49:14 PM »
This community was heavily divided during CheSTP. I have the feeling it's going to get even worse now with STP 3.0.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2016, 12:30:45 AM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:42:16 PM by Flyingmerpa »

FuzzyDunlop

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2016, 12:54:11 AM »
Another radio interview with Robert and Dean: http://www.955klos.com/2016/02/08/robert-and-dean-deleo-in-studio-with-bob-coburn/

Dean says if a singer's as great as Scott/Chester then they'll have a shot at being picked. Should have just said Chester; they don't belong in the same sentence together and there's a 0% chance they'll find an iconic frontman like Scott.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2016, 12:55:25 AM »
I like how they sorta dodged the question about how bad the singer submissions sounded so far.  To paraphrase Rob: "It's that situation where their mother tells them they can sing well". 

Notice how when they were asked whether they have liked any of the auditions so far, instead they start talking about how they've played with a few guys in LA.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2016, 01:47:52 AM »
I like how they sorta dodged the question about how bad the singer submissions sounded so far.  To paraphrase Rob: "It's that situation where their mother tells them they can sing well". 

Notice how when they were asked whether they have liked any of the auditions so far, instead they start talking about how they've played with a few guys in LA.

Yeah, I'm starting to rethink my position on this matter. Every time I hear them talk or read their words when asked about this search it's not sounding great. I wanted to have a positive outlook for the stp name trying to move forward, but it's too obvious these three or at least one or two of them think they have a genuine chance at finding a Scott Weiland clone who's just been hiding in their bedroom for a little too long.

You can just picture how high their expectations are for the search when they say what little they've said.

Even if there's a decent voice out of 1200 submissions, then comes the question of can they bust out a melody?...

I don't know...

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2016, 02:04:28 AM »

Yeah, I'm starting to rethink my position on this matter. Every time I hear them talk or read their words when asked about this search it's not sounding great. I wanted to have a positive outlook for the stp name trying to move forward, but it's too obvious these three or at least one or two of them think they have a genuine chance at finding a Scott Weiland clone who's just been hiding in their bedroom for a little too long.

You can just picture how high their expectations are for the search when they say what little they've said.

Even if there's a decent voice out of 1200 submissions, then comes the question of can they bust out a melody?...

I don't know...

I don't think they're kidding themselves... Every time Dean talks about the auditions, there seems to be a sort of exhausted desperation in his voice. It really sounds like this is, as I've said before, their Hail Mary pass. It sounds like they've auditioned a bunch of guys in person, they don't feel any of them are a perfect fit for the band, so they figure they've got nothing to lose by doing these online auditions.

So I think there are 3 ways this could end:

1. By some miracle, someone who is absolutely perfect for the band auditions online and they hire him.

2. No one of interest turns up online, so they settle for the best guy they've played with in LA.

3. No one of interest turns up online and they don't feel anyone they played with so far fits the band, so they shelve STP for now and focus on some other venture.

I think the latter two scenarios are far more likely than the first.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2016, 02:18:52 AM »
While the theory that they already have a new vocalist or (at least a shortlist of qualified candidates) seems reasonable, is there ANY evidence whatsoever to support this?

They have said previously and in the new interviews that they have met with and auditioned singers already they just want to make sure they have exhausted all options.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2016, 02:41:36 AM »
I say another good choice for a singer would be Chris Gavin from the band Dust for Life. I also have always loved the singer from Greenwheel Not sure how he would fit into STP none the less these are great singers. I would even throw out Christian Lane from a chicago band called Loud Lucy.

Greenwheel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNhdHmOnFAM

Dust for Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paHsnHBdQZo

Loud Lucy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fg0_BTDIdc&list=PLiuKKVCK53enARPWDA78vd5oyz9nB8UYn&index=3

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2016, 02:50:55 AM »
While the theory that they already have a new vocalist or (at least a shortlist of qualified candidates) seems reasonable, is there ANY evidence whatsoever to support this?

They have said previously and in the new interviews that they have met with and auditioned singers already they just want to make sure they have exhausted all options.

Just because they auditioned singers doesn't mean they hired somebody. There's no reason to treat all of this as some kind of giant scam or conspiracy by the DeLeos.  It's very clear from the interviews that they don't have a singer. Maybe they have some people in mind, but it seems like they are holding out for a better candidate.

It's quite frankly a complete waste of time and money to do this if they already have a singer. Instead of paying a company to help them construct and maintain an online application for singers to audition and then spent weeks going through those submissions (and probably hiring assistants to help go through those auditions), they could just record music with the guy they supposedly hired already and send out a press release announcing him as the singer.

BillMurraylovesSTP

• Im streets ahead
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2016, 03:09:01 AM »
Richard Patrick is still the only realistic guy to me.

follow me on
@Jrlthinks on instagram
@lakethinks twitter

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2016, 03:11:33 AM »
It would be cool if the guys released a new track for the prospective singers could lay vocals on top of it
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2016, 03:35:16 AM »
Richard Patrick is still the only realistic guy to me.

I honestly wouldn't mind Rich fronting STP. He's done justice to STP songs in the past, and AoA was so damn good I want to hear the DeLeos with him again regardless of what it's called.

And who knows... Maybe they're considering Rich, but since he has to split his time with Filter they're making one last ditch attempt at finding someone else who can dedicate 100% of their time to STP while Filter's out touring the new record. If they find someone, they can get recording immediately after they're hired... If not, they just wait til Summer/Fall and record with Rich.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 09, 2016, 03:55:50 AM »
Not treating it as a conspiracy just saying it is good for marketing and serves a dual purpose. As far as Richard being a permanent replacement I think he is the perfect guy to continue on the legacy and his voice is still totally on point. If they find another guy they should still do another AOA album.