September 25, 2024, 02:23:39 PM

Author Topic: STP announce new singer search  (Read 60920 times)

Gasolina Waltz

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: STP announce new singer search
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2016, 01:08:42 AM »
I've submitted for the position. Feel free to listen: https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/stone-temple-pilots-singer-submission/submissions/73a23814-cd2f-11e5-b814-0e8b89ba5cff

My original music: https://soundcloud.com/gasolinawaltz/sets/gasolina-waltz-ep

Good for you!

STP are gonna hear you sing an STP song.  That's pretty sweet.

Yeah! And you know what, if nothing else, that's a pretty cool thing.  :)

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2016, 03:47:38 AM »
Here's an interesting guy who put in an entry: ex-frontman of Fuel for a couple years when Brett left the band. https://www.facebook.com/TorynGreen He was actually chosen for the Fuel gig through this same type of online singer search.

Crazily enough, Scott had actually offered him a deal with Softdrive Records which he ultimately turned down for the Fuel opportunity: https://www.facebook.com/TorynGreen/posts/10153249860934103

He sounds a lot better in those clips than any of the other entries I've listened to, but I can't say I'm familiar with the album he put out with Fuel. Anyone else who is that can shed some further light?

BARF. Dude tried so hard to sound like Brett Scallions. I bought the Fuel album he was on without hearing anything from it, and threw it in the trash before I listened to the whole thing. Dude is a hack.

I know that he sang in  Something To Burn before they were signed to Softdrive.

STP would be a bigger joke than Fuel was when they released 1 poorly selling album with Toryn Green.

Dean just said some shit along the lines of how they will know who the singer is before he even opens his mouth to sing.

Yeah, it ain't that guy.
Bleeda blooda

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2016, 07:34:54 AM »
BTW, any time Dean and Rob or Dean, Rob, and Eric have had a real band with a vocalist other than Scott, they have worked with a tenor (while Scott was a baritone): Dave Coutts, Richard Patrick, and Chester Bennington.

I don't think that is a coincidence. My guess is that the baritone grunge soundalikes are less likely to get the band's attention than the tenors.

One of my best friends and the singer in my band back in the early 2000s was actually in Rock of Ages for two years in Vegas. He's a damn fine singer. But he is a baritone, so I'd bet money that even he wouldn't have a chance, though I did tell him to audition.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:38:23 AM by lovemachine97 »

Davizio

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2016, 09:39:51 AM »
The nicest performance I´ve heard is the two from Ryan Winkle. He has a close tone, and he doesn´t seem to sound forced to sound like Scott.
Anyway, maybe the band is looking for someone who sounds fresh, but also is able to defend the old material with an extra dose of originality.

Oh, and finally... my performances!!:

Vasoline https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/stone-temple-pilots-singer-submission/submissions/908f36cc-cde1-11e5-8cb2-0e5777376d65

Interstate Love Song https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/stone-temple-pilots-singer-submission/submissions/bf9af77c-cde0-11e5-99eb-0e3dc18e16fd
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:45:32 AM by Davizio »

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2016, 05:10:13 PM »
Here's an interesting guy who put in an entry: ex-frontman of Fuel for a couple years when Brett left the band. https://www.facebook.com/TorynGreen He was actually chosen for the Fuel gig through this same type of online singer search.

Crazily enough, Scott had actually offered him a deal with Softdrive Records which he ultimately turned down for the Fuel opportunity: https://www.facebook.com/TorynGreen/posts/10153249860934103

He sounds a lot better in those clips than any of the other entries I've listened to, but I can't say I'm familiar with the album he put out with Fuel. Anyone else who is that can shed some further light?

BARF. Dude tried so hard to sound like Brett Scallions. I bought the Fuel album he was on without hearing anything from it, and threw it in the trash before I listened to the whole thing. Dude is a hack.

I know that he sang in  Something To Burn before they were signed to Softdrive.

STP would be a bigger joke than Fuel was when they released 1 poorly selling album with Toryn Green.

Dean just said some shit along the lines of how they will know who the singer is before he even opens his mouth to sing.

Yeah, it ain't that guy.

Wasn't the right guy for fuel didn't fit that style and not the right guy for STP. His voice isn't gritty enough and is too whiny. Like I said before Scott Stevens from the Exies would be great. Also maybe even a great song writer like Zac Maloy who was in the Nixons. He does allot of ghost writing and knows the industry extremely well he writes for allot of people out there.

DrGONZOakaRaoulDuke

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2016, 06:10:21 PM »
The best ones i think are from "TJ Jones".  Actually sounds pretty good.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2016, 07:25:31 PM »
How the fuck are Robert, Dean, and Eric listening to these audition tapes and still thinking this is a good direction to go with STP?

They claim STP is their baby?  JonBenét Ramsey had better parents.

Don't get me wrong, there are some talented submissions, but to continue on as STP?  Come on. Chester is a one in a million talent (singer/song writer) and 'High Rise' still didn't feel like STP.  How delusional are these guys to think that lowering the bar past even American Idol standards is going to find them someone worthy of "new STP music"?  This is insane.

*After listening to a bunch of auditions, nobody blew me away, but TJ Jones was definitely one of the better ones (even with that exhale thing he keeps doing), and way better than Toryn Green IMO. I'm sure they'll find some good musicians, but they should really pick a few singers, give them each a week of studio/collaboration time, and then... start a new fucking band. 
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2016, 07:33:50 PM »
Saying Chester is a one in a million talent is a huge exaggeration. He did a pretty good job. I agree TJ Jones sounds pretty good and I believe STP already has a singer and this is a marketing angle they are employing plus as you can see some of the submissions are from other good talented singers and I am sure this is what STP was hoping to reach just in case they aren't 100% sure about who they have so far.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2016, 07:44:05 PM »
How the fuck are Robert, Dean, and Eric listening to these audition tapes and still thinking this is a good direction to go with STP?

They claim STP is their baby?  JonBenét Ramsey had better parents.

When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2016, 07:51:14 PM »
Saying Chester is a one in a million talent is a huge exaggeration. He did a pretty good job. I agree TJ Jones sounds pretty good and I believe STP already has a singer and this is a marketing angle they are employing plus as you can see some of the submissions are from other good talented singers and I am sure this is what STP was hoping to reach just in case they aren't 100% sure about who they have so far.

Is it?

I'm not the biggest Chester fan, but for someone to make it as a singer (especially on his level), the odds are certainly up there. He did well singing STP songs, but pigeonholing him into NEW "STP" music was a mistake. IMO, going the super group route would have allowed both sides to play to their strengths, without having to live up to any expectations (or old sounds/styles).

Hahaha Slither, that pic brought tears to my eyes.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:53:23 PM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2016, 07:59:09 PM »
I've been away for a bit and haven't caught up through the whole thread, so sorry if this was already touched upon.... but any chance this is more to drive publicity, meanwhile they're combing through somewhat already established vocalists?

I mean sure maybe there is the chance a no name person really does strike it hot, but to start fresh with someone who you don't really know their true background?  I imagine they would make a priority of being able to trust someone who could handle the work ethic and lifestyle they need as well as not showing any symptoms that would indicate the behaviors which they grew to hate multiple times.

I dunno.  I just imagine this could easily play out as well as Limp Bizkit's guitarist search went way back when....
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2016, 08:33:21 PM »
While the theory that they already have a new vocalist or (at least a shortlist of qualified candidates) seems reasonable, is there ANY evidence whatsoever to support this?

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »
Dean and Rob interviewed by KROQ LA.  Interesting to watch Dean while talking about Scott, still lots of frustration there.  I thought Rob did a good job of being diplomatic. 

http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2016/02/08/dean-and-robert-deleo-discuss-search-for-new-stone-temple-pilots-singer-scott-weilands-passing-more/

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2016, 10:22:11 PM »
Dean and Rob interviewed by KROQ LA.  Interesting to watch Dean while talking about Scott, still lots of frustration there.  I thought Rob did a good job of being diplomatic. 

http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2016/02/08/dean-and-robert-deleo-discuss-search-for-new-stone-temple-pilots-singer-scott-weilands-passing-more/

Thanks for posting this. I'm getting a few things out of this. I applaud those here who have been sticking to the idea the guys have already maybe done a thing or two with at least "someone", however they're just letting this process play out. I honestly still see where it could be a publicity thing... They basically say they have had a person or two get together with them.

On a lighter note, these guys would be a kick to just hang out with... not just for some STP talk, but they just always seem like they enjoy throwing some comedy off one another.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:23:56 PM by seattlesound »

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2016, 10:39:27 PM »
"A great singer will carry an average band, a great band will not carry an average singer... I've come to terms a long time ago that I'm merely the guy who stands next to the singer." - Dean
Grab the hate and drown it out...