September 25, 2024, 02:25:45 PM

Author Topic: STP announce new singer search  (Read 60923 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP announce new singer search
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2016, 06:59:45 PM »
Thinking about this "new singer" fiasco even more...

This probably means that we won't be seeing any unreleased tracks, live albums, B-sides, documentaries, or "lost footage".  You know, the sort of things that come to light after a prolific artist passes away. 

I wish I could say I thought you were wrong. (Though I don't think we have to worry about b-sides since, you know, those are all already released.)
Grab the hate and drown it out...

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2016, 07:37:30 PM »
I nominate Mary for lead singer that way her and the rest of stp can milk every single cent out of Scott's dead body jointly.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me... Mary will probably decide SHE IS STP and take them to court.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:39:53 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2016, 07:41:35 PM »
I nominate Mary for lead singer that way her and the rest of stp can milk every single cent out of Scott's dead body jointly.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me... Mary will probably decide SHE owns the STP name and take them to court.

Cause God know she's a selfish bitch for executing Scott's WILL, y'know, the document he left behind saying who he wants to have all his money and all that. It's so greedy for her to take all of those things Scott specifically wanted her to have.

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2016, 08:39:02 PM »
So I signed up and all, and the funny part is they want original songs too. I mean, I'n doing it but I'm laughing because they're gonna hear me sing their own music, then when they hear my group, they're gonna hear instrumental electronic music. I dunno, I find it kind of funny.

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2016, 08:57:49 PM »
Interesting how they give you the entire lyric sheet for each song. If you are signing up to be the lead singer for a band, shouldn't you know the lyrics beforehand? I think this goes to show they just want somebody who can sing the song and don't care if they actually care about the band.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2016, 09:05:31 PM »
On one hand, I understand that this is their band, and they obviously made a decision years ago that STP is what they want to do. And maybe it's not all about money. I know a lot of people here think that's what it is, and sure it's part of it, but maybe they also want to continue the band that gave them their careers in music. Maybe they feel their best music was written in STP, and they'd be doing a disservice to themselves to abandon that. These guys have been best friends (and brothers) for decades, and their whole lives have centered around this band, their baby: STP. It's who they are.

I also agree with parts of your post. Just not the parts about STP being "their band" (Dean, Robert, Eric), or this whole "decision" they made about continuing on as STP.  They didn't make any decisions. The fans did. The fans didn't care for Talk Show, or AoA. Believe me, if either of those bands took off, or any of these guys were known as ANYTHING other than former STP band members, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

STP may have been "their baby"... but the baby died years ago, and now so did the father. They can have another baby, with another man, but it just isn't going to be the same. The more they go around dating guys who act/look/sound like Scott, or trying to pass themselves off as that hip cougar who's just as cool as she was in her 20's; the more they'll continue to look pathetic, old, and desperate.

I wish I could say I thought you were wrong. (Though I don't think we have to worry about b-sides since, you know, those are all already released.)

I WAS just being hopeful that something would come out.  With Kurt Cobain, all sorts of music, videos, and art came out. While not all of it was flattering, it still paid tribute to the man and great artist he was. I kinda figured STP didn't have many unreleased tracks left, but I know they have concert and other footage from their SLDD house days. 

You know me and my unpopular opinions, but I'd almost guarantee that releasing old STP material would be a better business move for the DeLeos than anything else.  It would rekindle memories of STP in their prime, and potentially turn people onto STP's catalog of songs... and maybe even sell tickets to whatever STP karaoke shows they decide to put on.  But they won't do this because it will make their new singer and any new music look worse by comparison.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2016, 09:06:21 PM »
Interesting how they give you the entire lyric sheet for each song. If you are signing up to be the lead singer for a band, shouldn't you know the lyrics beforehand? I think this goes to show they just want somebody who can sing the song and don't care if they actually care about the band.

Scott used a teleprompter and he wrote them.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2016, 09:32:44 PM »

This is an audition. Unless you are asking them to improvise, you give candidates in an audition the lyrics to the music they are auditioning to. That's how it works.

Besides, are you honestly saying if they magically found a guy who has the EXACT vocal range Scott had from 1999-02, they should disregard him if he doesn't have the lyrics memorized?

This isn't a biggest STP fan on Earth competition. They're searching for a professional singer to fill a position. Having all the lyrics memorized is literally the single least important thing here.

FuzzyDunlop

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2016, 10:05:46 PM »
Here's an interesting guy who put in an entry: ex-frontman of Fuel for a couple years when Brett left the band. https://www.facebook.com/TorynGreen He was actually chosen for the Fuel gig through this same type of online singer search.

Crazily enough, Scott had actually offered him a deal with Softdrive Records which he ultimately turned down for the Fuel opportunity: https://www.facebook.com/TorynGreen/posts/10153249860934103

He sounds a lot better in those clips than any of the other entries I've listened to, but I can't say I'm familiar with the album he put out with Fuel. Anyone else who is that can shed some further light?

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2016, 10:19:25 PM »
I don't like this. "Music music music..." What's stopping you, Dean, from releasing music outside of stp? You'd expect the boys to be more productive frankly. Since 2001 they've only done the AOA record, one stp record and an EP. Quit using "music" as an excuse. It's all about the stp brand name and what little (very little) is left to cash out.

This is what happens; They find Guy X from indie band X. Dean and Robert come out saying he's the most talented guy they have ever worked with and then they release and album that is "the best they've ever done". Album sells approx. 13,000 copies. "STP" goes on tour, playing small venues. Six months later they announce guy X has left (probably realised his former day job paid the bills easier).

As great musicians as the Deleos (and Kretz) are, they just can't admit to themselves that Scott was what truly made them special and he really is irreplaceable.
I had the midwife naked and alone

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2016, 10:47:05 PM »
I just posted Scott's isolated 'Adhesive' vocals on his Facebook.  People ought to know the voice they're trying to replace...

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2016, 10:53:16 PM »

This is an audition. Unless you are asking them to improvise, you give candidates in an audition the lyrics to the music they are auditioning to. That's how it works.

Besides, are you honestly saying if they magically found a guy who has the EXACT vocal range Scott had from 1999-02, they should disregard him if he doesn't have the lyrics memorized?

This isn't a biggest STP fan on Earth competition. They're searching for a professional singer to fill a position. Having all the lyrics memorized is literally the single least important thing here.
I'm not saying they should completely disregard him, but they should find somebody that at least knows the lyrics to probably their most popular songs. Someone that knows the band and the songs should be in the band. That's why Chester fit in, he knew the catalog and was a huge fan of the band.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2016, 11:01:07 PM »

At this point it wouldn't surprise me... Mary will probably decide SHE owns the STP name and take them to court.

Cause God know she's a selfish bitch for executing Scott's WILL, y'know, the document he left behind saying who he wants to have all his money and all that. It's so greedy for her to take all of those things Scott specifically wanted her to have.

Yeah the will he wrote in 2007 when they were still married. Do you genuinely think at the time of his death he wanted Mary, the one he himself had called a money grabber, the one who he said had made it incredibly difficult for him to see his kids, to have EVERYTHING even though he was married to and in love with Jamie?? I highly doubt that. Perhaps he never updated the will but it's common sense to assume that at the time of his death he would want everything to go to his kids and his new wife surely?!
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Gasolina Waltz

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:08:56 AM by Gasolina Waltz »

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2016, 01:02:35 AM »