September 25, 2024, 12:18:25 PM

Author Topic: STP announce new singer search  (Read 60907 times)

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: STP announce new singer search
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2016, 10:50:08 PM »
I think it's highly inaccurate to say if they announced a new singer it would have gotten the same press. My sister doesn't follow music at all and knew about this story. When bands do stuff that is never done like open this up to fans if they really are or not it draws allot more attention. Otherwise there would have just been a little blurb on some music sites and they would have never made news in the regular press.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2016, 11:25:05 PM »
They need Robert Plant.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2016, 11:25:56 PM »
I think it's highly inaccurate to say if they announced a new singer it would have gotten the same press. My sister doesn't follow music at all and knew about this story. When bands do stuff that is never done like open this up to fans if they really are or not it draws allot more attention. Otherwise there would have just been a little blurb on some music sites and they would have never made news in the regular press.

I agree with this. Stp is a band who is not going to get much attention in the social media world, unless they do something that makes people want to spread the word... This is a good way to spread the word. Not saying that's the purpose of this, but I could see where a band would try it.

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2016, 11:32:12 PM »
One of us should submit a song but have the song be about how they should release the SLDD documentary for the fans.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2016, 11:32:55 PM »
How about David Coverdale hahaha. Although Glenn Hughes would actually be interesting he's always active and still has a great voice.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2016, 12:29:38 AM »
The thing that keeps nagging at me most is that I feel like no matter who they go with, they'll be one dimensional in comparison to Scott. How many rock frontmen out there could write and sing a song like Dead And Bloated and then a song like Atlanta some years later? I don't know man. I'm not saying it's impossible, but if they're actually just scoping people out, I have my doubts that they'll find anyone of that creative caliber. I was fine with Chester for the time being because he could sing the songs live and Scott was still alive, so it didn't feel like he would be the forever frontman of STP, so I was okay with that. Now though, that Scott is gone, it seems like an effort in futility. As a musician, I understand their desire and interest to carry on making music and I'm extremely happy to hear that they have so much possible material to work with.  However, I don't know how good their chances are of finding someone as good as they deserve. It's gonna happen the way it's going to happen no matter what I say or do, but I sincerely hope that they knock my socks off with their new singer when they have them.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2016, 03:12:12 AM »
I'll do it for Scott.  I signed up but haven't picked a song yet. 

8) :-* :(
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2016, 05:26:04 AM »
I nominate Mary for lead singer that way her and the rest of stp can milk every single cent out of Scott's dead body jointly.

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2016, 05:33:27 AM »
I have been viewing this whole thing as a way just to see if there is somebody out there quickly. Like Limp Bizkit's 2002 guitar player search where they went all over the country and watched auditions, I doubt they are actually going to find somebody to fill these shoes online. I believe they already have candidates in mind but don't want to get them involved and abandon their current projects and such if they can find someone fresh off the block.

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2016, 05:46:18 AM »
Will the wanna be the Deleos hire sound better than this version of a 95% dead Scott? Doubt it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5oWXyvwsEY
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:48:02 AM by Drew06 »

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »
Will the wanna be the Deleos hire sound better than this version of a 95% dead Scott? Doubt it.

And THAT is why the DeLeos and Kretz should MOVE ON. That new interview with Dean he mentions "evolving" or whatever. They did that with Talk Show and Army of Anyone. This "we need a new singer for Stone Temple Pilots" is a two steps backwards type thing.

Would STP keep going if it was Dean that died? Doubt it.

This future sux. Where all the time machine at? Can I borrow your Delorean?
Bleeda blooda

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2016, 08:16:10 AM »

And THAT is why the DeLeos and Kretz should MOVE ON. That new interview with Dean he mentions "evolving" or whatever. They did that with Talk Show and Army of Anyone. This "we need a new singer for Stone Temple Pilots" is a two steps backwards type thing.

Would STP keep going if it was Dean that died? Doubt it.

This future sux. Where all the time machine at? Can I borrow your Delorean?
There's a DeLeo/Delorean joke to be made somewhere in there.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2016, 09:39:01 AM »
I can't wait for when they hire 20-something Joe Nobody as the new singer and hes up on stage with these 50+ year old guys trying to snake around stage like Scott.   It's going to be pure embarrassment.  I admit, they are in a pickle.  They can't start a new band or continue Army of Anyone because as we have seen, does not work out for them.  They could go back to producing albums like they did for Alient Ant Farm, but there is no song writing there.  Overall, this seems to be their last only only option.   Continuing on with this current path and looking for a new singer is highly risky for them.  Many fans turned a blind eye when Scott was still alive and Chester fronted the band.  Now Scott is dead and the atmosphere has changed.  Their fanbase will now be super alienated and it will probably affect their turnout to shows.  My personal recommendation is they just retire.  If they don't have enough $$ to retire at this point I don't know what to tell them.  Too late to start a ROTH account now.

Like I've said before, I think they'd actually be in a way better position to come out with a new singer now if the Chester thing had never happened.  PR wise it could be marketed as a tribute to Scott like Alice In Chains' reunion was to Layne, but since they already fired and replaced him while he was still alive and it didn't work out, they can't do that.  The Chester thing ended up being a huge mistake.

I feel pretty similarly to this.  Chester was a mistake, partially because of the timing, but ultimately because it didn't work out.  Especially from the excitement/success/acceptance.  I wish they had kept it entirely silent for those three years and then for another year from his death, released the same statement and Memories of Candles and Incense.  Then  came out firing at the Weenie Roast like they did (but with a full length album instead of the fairly strong High Rise). everyone would have fucking loved it!!!  Especially if Chester could have somehow made more time, it might have demanded more time in fact. 

But for now they can't go back to Chester who would have been perfect and more accepted at this point, don't want to retire it, and are going at it.  I want more STP.  Game on, let's hear it.
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2016, 03:17:35 PM »
Thinking about this "new singer" fiasco even more...

This probably means that we won't be seeing any unreleased tracks, live albums, B-sides, documentaries, or "lost footage".  You know, the sort of things that come to light after a prolific artist passes away. 
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2016, 04:06:10 PM »
Scott was that spark for them.  Scott was that spark for VR.  And while the Wildabouts weren't nearly on either of their levels; even at his worst, he was that spark for that band.  Robert, Dean, and Eric are incredible musicians, but without an incredible singer/songwriter/front man, they're just another outdated band living off of old glory.

I at least agree with this part of your post. Scott was that something-special that, when he had his addiction and bipolar under control, could elevate an already-great band to another level.

And I agree that STP are not gonna find another singer who will elevate them to anywhere near the level they were with Scott either in terms of musical achievement, popularity, and/or commercial success. But they might just find someone with whom they can continue doing STP with limited success. They are never going to headline festivals or sell out stadiums ever again, but they will be able to create new music and tour mid-sized venues. I hope that's what their vision is. If not, they are in for another disappointment.

On one hand, I understand that this is their band, and they obviously made a decision years ago that STP is what they want to do. And maybe it's not all about money. I know a lot of people here think that's what it is, and sure it's part of it, but maybe they also want to continue the band that gave them their careers in music. Maybe they feel their best music was written in STP, and they'd be doing a disservice to themselves to abandon that. These guys have been best friends (and brothers) for decades, and their whole lives have centered around this band, their baby: STP. It's who they are.

I've played in bands before, and even now that I'm a middle-aged family man with a day job, I still have fantasies about my old band getting back together, even after also having a band member pass away. So I get it. Only these guys are experiencing it 1,000,000-fold, and it's 1,000,000-times more complicated given their history and visibility.

As a fan, I feel like STP ended when Scott died, and anything the rest of the band does from here on out will be like an "extended tribute" to what they have accomplished.

As a musician, I understand why they are doing it, and I will support them.