September 25, 2024, 12:15:48 PM

Author Topic: STP announce new singer search  (Read 60904 times)

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: STP announce new singer search
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2016, 06:49:16 PM »
Anybody else here going to submit? Im already working on stuff...

I'd love to hear what anyone submits from this site.

I feel like it would take a lot of balls to do this.  I can't imagine having the Deleo brothers actually listen to me vocally destroy an STP song.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2016, 06:52:04 PM »
Why do some people think they already have their singer?

Just curious.

I really don't know about this whole thing. We never know how it will work out, though, I guess. I hope the new guy is a master melody creator.

I think some people see this as a possible publicity stunt... Honestly it would be a decent way to draw some attention to the stp name itself, even if only for a few weeks.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2016, 07:17:15 PM »
Search is over...

"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2016, 07:25:53 PM »
Candidates can submit two classic STP songs for consideration, so just for shits and giggles here's Chester's "audition":

Dead & Bloated: https://youtu.be/2PQTkTPhXR0?t=1m
Wonderful: https://youtu.be/QVi3wlbSn1M

So there you go, Chester harmonizing perfectly with Scott while Scott was at his peak, on two of the most polar opposite songs in STP's entire catalog. That's why he got the job immediately after Scott was canned. It's one thing to be able to sing Core & Purple material, but can you find many people who can cover all five original albums like these two?

If anyone wants their submission to be taken seriously, they need to display range like this. Everyone so far is just submitting the same Core & Purple songs, and it's clear none of them will be able to do shit when the band wants to play Adhesive or Glide or Wonderful.

I promise they won't be able to find an adequate singer this way.

Well, shit.  You've already got this whole thing figured out.  I would assume your #1 priority right now is getting the band on the phone to let them know what a waste of time this is.

Do you honestly believe they are going to just happen to find someone with a tremendous vocal range, who has years of experience as a vocalist for a rock band and has chemistry with the band, and who can be relied on to perform, by sifting through a bunch of submissions from random amateurs online?

How about this. Tomorrow, Kretz decides to quit the band. What do they do? Do they hire Ray Luzier, or Joey Castillo, or someone else they know is available right now who has years of experience and has shown the ability to play the music before? Or do they let a bunch of random amateurs audition online and pick some guy from a cover band in Idaho?

I think deep down they know this is a Hail Mary. There's pretty much no shot of this working.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2016, 07:40:07 PM »

I feel like this thing is almost becoming a "right of passage" thing for stp fans. I'm convincing myself that I need to do whatever it is I can to get 3 minutes of courage up and give Vaseline a go and submit it. I just don't know if I can't let this slide by.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2016, 07:47:55 PM »
For this year 2016 Id love to hear any unreleased demos/outakes of scott and riffs from the deleos. And I really wish at this point the deleos went back to army of anyone that was a great band. I dont wanna hear these guys pick a random guy named joe singing stp songs and calling it Stone temple pilots. Let STP rip they will never come back its gone!

My feelings exactly.
I feel like it's less about the music and more about the paycheck for them these days though. They could easily make new music under a completely new moniker and tour behind it and there would be enough interest in it to pay the bills and sell some records/tickets (these guys are hardly broke). AOA was an example of this but I think they deem any project like that a 'failure' simply because it doesn't make them the maximum profit that the STP name does. From a business standpoint it makes sense but if it really was just about making new music for these guys and not about money they would likely call it something else, especially at this point since they've already had STP 2.0 with Chester which failed and with Scott only dying 2 months ago. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see much new material either or archival releases for that matter as they seem quite content with touring the greatest hits, that's clearly where the easy money is.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2016, 07:53:08 PM »
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:34:28 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2016, 08:40:42 PM »

I feel like this thing is almost becoming a "right of passage" thing for stp fans. I'm convincing myself that I need to do whatever it is I can to get 3 minutes of courage up and give Vaseline a go and submit it. I just don't know if I can't let this slide by.

Unless you can without a doubt sing don't embarrass yourself like all the other people out there.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2016, 08:44:26 PM »

Unless you can without a doubt sing don't embarrass yourself like all the other people out there.

Don't listen to this person.  If you wanna sing do it.  No need to let people like this bring you down.

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »

I used to have a pretty decent voice pre-cigarettes, and now that I'm 5 months post quitting, figured it's worth a shot. Besides, what harm can it bring? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The music I actually record is instrumental electronic music, so it's not like a poor  vocal performance is gonna hurt me.

Besides, I look at this as a fun opportunity, and a way to honor Scott in my own way.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2016, 08:48:57 PM »
I think the singer has already been chosen and this is just a way to hype the band. Remember there is a story they were already searching for a singer before they announced chester was leaving.

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2016, 08:52:50 PM »
Yeah me too, which is why I'm not viewing this as anything more than just a fun thing.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2016, 08:53:24 PM »
Candidates can submit two classic STP songs for consideration, so just for shits and giggles here's Chester's "audition":

Dead & Bloated: https://youtu.be/2PQTkTPhXR0?t=1m
Wonderful: https://youtu.be/QVi3wlbSn1M

So there you go, Chester harmonizing perfectly with Scott while Scott was at his peak, on two of the most polar opposite songs in STP's entire catalog. That's why he got the job immediately after Scott was canned. It's one thing to be able to sing Core & Purple material, but can you find many people who can cover all five original albums like these two?

If anyone wants their submission to be taken seriously, they need to display range like this. Everyone so far is just submitting the same Core & Purple songs, and it's clear none of them will be able to do shit when the band wants to play Adhesive or Glide or Wonderful.

I promise they won't be able to find an adequate singer this way.

Well, shit.  You've already got this whole thing figured out.  I would assume your #1 priority right now is getting the band on the phone to let them know what a waste of time this is.

Do you honestly believe they are going to just happen to find someone with a tremendous vocal range, who has years of experience as a vocalist for a rock band and has chemistry with the band, and who can be relied on to perform, by sifting through a bunch of submissions from random amateurs online?

How about this. Tomorrow, Kretz decides to quit the band. What do they do? Do they hire Ray Luzier, or Joey Castillo, or someone else they know is available right now who has years of experience and has shown the ability to play the music before? Or do they let a bunch of random amateurs audition online and pick some guy from a cover band in Idaho?

I think deep down they know this is a Hail Mary. There's pretty much no shot of this working.

They might find someone and they might not.

You can't know this won't work before they even try it.  It's impossible.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2016, 09:05:25 PM »
I think the singer has already been chosen and this is just a way to hype the band. Remember there is a story they were already searching for a singer before they announced chester was leaving.

If they already found a singer, they would be hyping the band by announcing that singer, not by doing an internet search. They are clearly itching to record and perform again, there is absolutely no reason they would have found the perfect candidate already, but decided NOT to record with him so they could spend a few months sifting through fan recordings.

They'd get more press announcing that new singer than by doing this, anyway.

I think they just haven't found the right guy through their auditions, and rather than settling for someone they don't feel 100% about or giving up, they are throwing a hail mary and seeing if the right guy is online.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2016, 09:21:23 PM »
Who was that guy VR auditioned before Scott who put some vocals on one of their tracks?? It was something like "stripper GIRRRRL... Going about her... BUSINESS!!". They should bring that guy in hahaha!
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long