September 25, 2024, 08:17:56 AM

Author Topic: STP announce new singer search  (Read 60866 times)

mrmojorisin

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP announce new singer search
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2016, 09:38:36 PM »
I think I'd rather have seen them wait, but they probably need income, so I get it, I suppose. Maybe they can get the guy that replaced Scott in Velvet Revolver.
i didn't know VR ever replaced Scott
Too much walkin shoes worn thin  Too trippin and my souls worn thin

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2016, 09:45:47 PM »
The timing does seems off but I love this video they did and hope they put more out ( didn't see it linked)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHGtt170Bs
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2016, 09:55:51 PM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:38:22 PM by Flyingmerpa »

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 09:57:53 PM »
The more I think about it, the less I feel like judging. Everyone grieves a particular way, and if moving on and finding someone is cathartic for them, then good for them.

Just because they opened up the audition process doesn't mean they won't end up with somebody. I mean, VR opened up the audition process and suddenly Scott became available.

You never know what happens.

I think I'd rather have seen them wait, but they probably need income, so I get it, I suppose. Maybe they can get the guy that replaced Scott in Velvet Revolver.
i didn't know VR ever replaced Scott

They didn't. A little sarcasm. It's been 7 years and they haven't found anyone. Not sure who STP thinks they will find.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2016, 10:56:02 PM »
It's cool that you can hear the submissions.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2016, 11:28:29 PM »
Based on social media and news article comments, it's amazing how many people don't seem to know that Scott hadn't been in the band for a few years. I mean, some people don't even know about Chester's short stint fronting this band.

For all they know, Scott "the singer of STP" died and now the band is picking up the pieces.
We here in BE, really are a very minor number.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2016, 11:31:46 PM »
Based on social media and news article comments, it's amazing how many people don't seem to know that Scott hadn't been in the band for a few years. I mean, some people don't even know about Chester's short stint fronting this band.

For all they know, Scott "the singer of STP" died and now the band is picking up the pieces.
We here in BE, really are a very minor number.

I was kinda wondering if that would be the case. I've thought for awhile now that the "run" with Chester was something that a lot of people never really knew about or they have already forgotten it... I think with even more time it won't be mentioned at all, and the members here will be the only ones to bring it up.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2016, 11:54:35 PM »
Hahaha, after listening to a couple seconds of some of the different singers, I almost feel bad for "STP" and the world of mediocre shit they're about to wade through.

I would almost rather they go on some reality show "Rawk Idol: You Can Be The Next Chester Bennington"
Bleeda blooda

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2016, 01:03:38 AM »
I listed some potential candidates in another thread a few months ago, before Scott's death. It was kinda meant as a joke but now that the band are seriously considering ANYONE to front the band we might see one of these guys getting the job -

http://www.belowempty.com/forum/index.php?topic=10510.0

Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2016, 01:16:51 AM »
Interview with Dean on the search (Someone started a new thread for it, but I'm pretty sure it should just go in this discussion):

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/stone-temple-pilots-dean-deleo-talks-singer-search-were-up-for-it-20160205

Definitely sounds like they're desperate. I think even they realize they don't have a good shot at a singer this way, but maybe they've exhausted their other options.

Hopefully, rather than settling for just anyone, they'll realize it's time to give up and shelve STP. Put the new music toward a project with Richard, or maybe someone else. Not have to worry about getting someone who can sing the old music.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Toxic34

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2016, 01:26:26 AM »
Hopefully, rather than settling for just anyone, they'll realize it's time to give up and shelve STP. Put the new music toward a project with Richard, or maybe someone else. Not have to worry about getting someone who can sing the old music.

Two questions for you. First, if they do succeed in finding a good candidate for the band, and this individual is, if not as good as Scott, but better than Chester, will you support them?

Secondly, since with the retooled site, they've restored many photos with Scott along with having photos with Chester, would this mean they'll be very open to releasing archival material (especially live shows) with Scott, even as they proceed to look to the future?

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2016, 01:32:49 AM »
Im in. Im auditioning.
Seems like you left me when you broke down

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2016, 01:34:47 AM »
I didnt understand the screenshot Brett, how exactly is the selection going to be?
Seems like you left me when you broke down

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2016, 01:44:56 AM »

Two questions for you. First, if they do succeed in finding a good candidate for the band, and this individual is, if not as good as Scott, but better than Chester, will you support them?

I think the best they can hope for is better than post-reunion Scott but worse than Chester. Chester could sing everything from Wonderful down to Dead & Bloated. His only issues were songs with falsetto like Sour Girl and Lady Picture Show, and post-reunion Scott couldn't really sing those either. Beyond that, as mentioned before; he has experience playing in a band that is, quite frankly, bigger than STP world wide; he loves the music as much or better than any member of original line-up; and he had an established chemistry with the band.

If they can find another guy like that, hey, I'll give them a shot. But I'm not holding my breath and I'd much rather see start something new with an established collaborator than waste time looking for another Scott or Chester on the internet.

Secondly, since with the retooled site, they've restored many photos with Scott along with having photos with Chester, would this mean they'll be very open to releasing archival material (especially live shows) with Scott, even as they proceed to look to the future?

I'd like to think they are, but I have no idea why their first move wasn't to release archival material BEFORE announcing the search for a new singer. At least try to pay tribute to Scott before moving on.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2016, 01:59:24 AM »
Candidates can submit two classic STP songs for consideration, so just for shits and giggles here's Chester's "audition":

Dead & Bloated: https://youtu.be/2PQTkTPhXR0?t=1m
Wonderful: https://youtu.be/QVi3wlbSn1M

So there you go, Chester harmonizing perfectly with Scott while Scott was at his peak, on two of the most polar opposite songs in STP's entire catalog. That's why he got the job immediately after Scott was canned. It's one thing to be able to sing Core & Purple material, but can you find many people who can cover all five original albums like these two?

If anyone wants their submission to be taken seriously, they need to display range like this. Everyone so far is just submitting the same Core & Purple songs, and it's clear none of them will be able to do shit when the band wants to play Adhesive or Glide or Wonderful.

I promise they won't be able to find an adequate singer this way.