September 25, 2024, 10:21:26 AM

Author Topic: STP announce new singer search  (Read 60899 times)

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: STP announce new singer search
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 07:44:06 PM »
I think they already have a few guys in mind but but on the fence. They want to make sure they have their guy with no stone left unturned. I say they look at the lead singer from the exies he has a similar tone to weiland but a different approach and they have been inactive for years could be a great match.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »
So the question becomes, does anyone here look at ALL the things that made Chester qualified to be in the band, and thus justified STP's continuation, and think that there is an honest shot that they are going to find someone like that on the fucking internet?

Look on the bright side, at least they aren't doing a reality TV show!

I have no idea if they will find somebody on the internet, it doesn't seem likely, but then I can't think of any established stars who can do the job either. At least with an unknown they have everybody to choose from.

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
I think they already have a few guys in mind but but on the fence. They want to make sure they have their guy with no stone left unturned. I say they look at the lead singer from the exies he has a similar tone to weiland but a different approach and they have been inactive for years could be a great match.
Yes! The Exies are amazing, Scott Stevens has great range and could certainly sing most, if not all, of the catalog no problem. Good mention, I think Dean was actually one of the people who got them a record deal, so that could be on their mind. I doubt it is, but it's nice thinking about it.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 08:00:04 PM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:38:50 PM by Flyingmerpa »

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 08:14:54 PM »
I think the timing is cold, distasteful and tacky. I'm done with all of this tbh.

RIP Scott and STP '92-'02. Take care everyone and all the best. I'm just going to keep grieving, sitting on this merry-go-round and playing the music too loud...see ya.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 08:20:52 PM »
I think the timing is cold, distasteful and tacky. I'm done with all of this tbh.

RIP Scott and STP '92-'02. Take care everyone and all the best. I'm just going to keep grieving, sitting on this merry-go-round and playing the music too loud...see ya.

You'll be back.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 08:30:17 PM »
Like mentioned previously AIC took a very long time to regroup and put out music. STP has been officially disbanded back in 2013. I realize Scott just passed but these guys have committed over 2 years to a new album and new music. Minus the Chester Ep we have gotten 5 songs out of STP in 6 Years and one full length in over 10 from STP I think the guys are chomping at the bit to get new music out there. So as a fan and as a musician I feel they have every write to want to produce music and continue touring. There is little money In selling music now a days most of the money is made in touring. Plus carrying on the legacy will put more money in Weilands family pockets. This is good for all parties involved. They could also sell the rights like the offspring did to help Weilands family too
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:31:56 PM by leocal79 »

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 08:35:40 PM »
So since they're doing this no matter what, would you guys want them to get a Scott clone as far as the voice part goes or somebody else with their own kind of flare?

That's a very good question actually. I'd like to see which most people here would prefer...

I honestly think I'd like to see someone who has got their own approach to the whole idea. I don't think someone on stage trying to look or do exactly what Scott would do would go over very well with me... I want to say with Chester, that's what truly rubbed me the wrong way. I saw enough clips of him that it just seemed like he was trying his best version of "Scott Weiland" on the stage... the pink hair thing he did confirmed that. I'm only cool with that stuff if you're a fan in the audience or wherever, or if you are truly a "STP Tribute" band... otherwise if you are fronting for the real STP, be yourself and let us have our Scott memories as they are.

I honestly want the STP brand to continue on. However, I'm hoping like crazy they find someone who can honestly gel with them(dean,rob,eric) and also gel with the job itself... if STP could hit on something remotely close to what AIC has with William since bringing him in, I want to say I'd be thrilled with things, and I'd be wanting to see them in action.

However, this all being officially talked about and "happening" now feels a little early... Just saying that I kinda want to see how this turns out makes me feel like I'm being disrespectful to my favorite rock and roll singer...

I agree with people who say these guys have the right to make things go on... it does seem funny at anytime I've said or even read an idea that they should just stop or something.

As a fan looking to possibly see a future "STP" show from this point, I would get excited at the idea of Dean, Rob, & Eric up there tight as hell playing together... Eric drumming like a possessed mad man, and Rob doing those bad ass scoot/slides across the stage while thundering out those bass lines, and Dean shredding the epic solo's that he has in him.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2016, 08:40:46 PM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:38:43 PM by Flyingmerpa »

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2016, 08:47:40 PM »
I can't wait for when they hire 20-something Joe Nobody as the new singer and hes up on stage with these 50+ year old guys trying to snake around stage like Scott.   It's going to be pure embarrassment.  I admit, they are in a pickle.  They can't start a new band or continue Army of Anyone because as we have seen, does not work out for them.  They could go back to producing albums like they did for Alient Ant Farm, but there is no song writing there.  Overall, this seems to be their last only only option.   Continuing on with this current path and looking for a new singer is highly risky for them.  Many fans turned a blind eye when Scott was still alive and Chester fronted the band.  Now Scott is dead and the atmosphere has changed.  Their fanbase will now be super alienated and it will probably affect their turnout to shows.  My personal recommendation is they just retire.  If they don't have enough $$ to retire at this point I don't know what to tell them.  Too late to start a ROTH account now.

Like I've said before, I think they'd actually be in a way better position to come out with a new singer now if the Chester thing had never happened.  PR wise it could be marketed as a tribute to Scott like Alice In Chains' reunion was to Layne, but since they already fired and replaced him while he was still alive and it didn't work out, they can't do that.  The Chester thing ended up being a huge mistake.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2016, 08:57:19 PM »
Wow

I get the intent and am generally supportive.  Timing and delivery is awful.  I gotta say though, I'm not surprised at all.  The Deleos have consistently been off on their decision making their entire careers.  It's too bad.  If I were them I would take a year and release a bunch of cool STP stuff from their archives.  The Atlanta piece was beautiful, more of that.  Doing a full comprehensive history of the band good and bad would have been fulfilling.  I thought the grunge report piece was good.  Something in that direction but end to end.       

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:38:32 PM by Flyingmerpa »

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2016, 09:09:14 PM »
Would it be out of line to twitter storm Robert Deleo pushing him for a comment?

I tagged him in my story so he knows.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2016, 09:23:57 PM »
I think I'd rather have seen them wait, but they probably need income, so I get it, I suppose. Maybe they can get the guy that replaced Scott in Velvet Revolver.

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2016, 09:26:48 PM »
The site is now public.  Photos including Scott are back in the photos sections.