September 25, 2024, 10:18:39 AM

Author Topic: STP announce new singer search  (Read 60894 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
Re: STP announce new singer search
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 11:08:09 AM »
I get that they want to continue to make new music but Scott has been gone for only two months now...they need to let STP rest for a bit longer.

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »
Just edited in a screenshot of how they'll be doing digital submissions.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »
Very interesting they are going for a possible unknown.

Much better idea than churning through singers from other bands, and gives them a lot more scope to find somebody that suits the band.

Can't blame them for wanting to get the ball rolling.

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 11:33:01 AM »
Very interesting they are going for a possible unknown.

Much better idea than churning through singers from other bands, and gives them a lot more scope to find somebody that suits the band.

Can't blame them for wanting to get the ball rolling.

I think the key is though to hugely base the auditions around the new music.  Like I've said here before, if the new music is anything less than great with hits, then it's game over for them.  They need to pick somebody who will make the best record possible with them, rather than focus auditions around old songs.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 12:00:47 PM »
I seriously doubt, personally, that we are going to see STP become huge again whatever they do, that audience evaporated a long time ago. Even the big radio play they got with Out of Time didn't translate into sales.

But I don't know about game over, I would think any full LP with the STP name on the cover is going to shift enough to make it worthwhile. People get by as musicians selling less with each release than even High Rise managed.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 01:10:38 PM »
Everyone has their own opinion but, mine is that they need to lay the STP name to rest.

If Chester had stayed, then they should have kept it, but not after Chester's departure then Scott's death soon after... I don't know.

Of course, either way, I want these guys to continue making Rock N Roll.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:12:25 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Davizio

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 01:21:03 PM »
I think it´s a fantastic new for all the fans, but I really hope the new singer is not only a singer. Unknown or not, he has a huge space to fill, and it´s preferable he demonstrates that he is capable to compose and contribute to the new stuff of the group apart from only filling the vocals on the recordings (not to forget he has to be a great live performer). Anyway, their highest popularity and success rates are part of the past. They have to realize (and I think they clearly know this) they will do this for their own conviction and for the die hard fans.
About re-starting this search after 2 months Scott left us, I felt watching to the rehearsal´s video that they really wanted to continue their path sharing music with the world and they need this, apart from the money, obviously.
I hope this is not a temporary impulse which dissapears after some months... we all know how do they are lately.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 01:46:54 PM »
"2016 marks a new year for Stone Temple Pilots…

A year of hope, optimism, and most importantly, new music! We are immensely proud of all that we have been able to share with you over the years. Music, music, music. We very much want to continue doing that, but that’s going to take a little help from all of you.

As you know, prior to the untimely passing of our brother in arms, Scott, we had been working with the incomparable Chester Bennington. What you also likely know is that having Chester front two bands of this size and scope was too much for one man to be able to do and so regretfully we had to move onto a new chapter together. This is where you come in…"

--------Translation------

"2016 marks a NEW LOW for Stone Temple Pilots…

As you know, we drifted into musical obscurity without Scott, so we all reunited for money in 2008. After that initial surge of money dried up, we decided to tour non-stop and make as much money as possible because records don't sell anymore. We like money. As we've proven with the greatest STP album and musical achievement in the past thirty years S/T, we don't need anyone else, so we fired Scott. He was only slowing us down on tour, and rather than take a break, we used his personal issues & demons against him in order to secure the rights to the STP brand. 

We had been working with the incomparable Chester Bennington because he looked up to us, and we knew we could control him. What you also likely know is that we like money, and as mentioned before, records don't sell, so we needed someone young and popular to tour with non-stop. Unfortunately from our experience with Scott, we couldn't let Chester "front" OUR BAND, and since we didn't make as much money as we expected touring with Chester, we decided to part ways.

We are officially announcing that we are officially desperate, and rather than trying to survive on our own musical abilities, or start a new band, we'd rather find an unknown talent that we can use for never-ending karaoke tours, so that we can play the same songs we've been playing since 2008. Ultimately we're looking for another gimmick that can get us back into the spotlight, and help us squeeze every last dime out of the STP brand that we built 100% without any help from anyone else.

Love,Robert, Eric, Dean”

"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 02:11:08 PM »
Too soon.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 02:20:35 PM »
STP is not just one man we need to remember these guys have always said all they want to do is make music. Also they had been working on a new album for 2 years. I believe they should do what they want but to stay together and make as much music as possible they would have to keep the STP name. I am cautiously excited. We will see what happens

Jimil

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »
I still feel that they should play a hand full of shows like this. No singer, just the band and the music.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
I would definitely go see them live with them playing just the music and maybe dean will break out some of his acoustic solo tracks too.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 02:45:04 PM »
START A NEW BAND AND CONTINUE TO PLAY THE SONGS THAT MADE YOU FAMOUS.

It isn't that fucking hard.

How do they not see how disrespectful this is - not only to their precious "legacy" but also to their fans? How are they not seeing that STP is LITERALLY dead now?

I am seriously considering having my sldd tattoo covered up. I've spent nearly 20 years of my life and tens of thousands of dollars supporting and following and loving this band. THIS isn't the band I fell in love with anymore. These are a bunch of ignorant assholes who only want money and don't give one flying fuck about the people that made their success possible. Really. So embarrassing.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 03:04:15 PM »
This is what the Band wants they tried to move on with Chester but many people wouldn't accept it and ripped them constantly. I thought he was a decent fit the High Rise Ep is Excellent. What do you want them to do Chester is too busy Scott has passed. If they move on with another name they will disappear into Obscurity just look at their past two attempts. They really have no choice either break up or disappear. I for one want new STP over nothing. Who knows they could see a revival. Lets give this a chance.