October 01, 2024, 06:42:37 PM

Author Topic: Billboard piece is out  (Read 13573 times)

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Billboard piece is out
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2016, 08:50:31 PM »
"He would make decisions, and they were all going bad."

EsemJayes

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2016, 01:54:31 AM »
One thing stood out to me...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziprasidone

That was what he was on last April. Look at the side effects. Throw in the fact he had Hep C, and...yeah. Wow.

I just....I'm sad, but I'm also really fucking angry. He made the conscious decision to use coke and everything else on top of drinking, but you know what? The way things were going, I can't blame him. Shit, my life has sucked ass for years until recently, and I think only the complete lack of access kept me from going down that same route. That, and having a wife and daughter *there*. My God, if I lost access to my little girl, I'd not be able to take that. So, I can in no way judge at all, nor will I. I'm angry that this happened. I would've given anything if he just could've been able to retire (or at least stay off the road) and not be forced to tour. I'd have happily given up ever hearing new music from him if it had meant he'd still be here.

The issue is Scott had to tour as much as he did because he alienated the STP and Velvet Revolver guys because of his drinking and drug use.  If he had gotten clean and sober, he would have been welcomed back to STP, and been able to tour less and ultimately made a lot more money.  Look back at 2012, STP only toured for about a month (and he did a few scattered solo shows) and that paid his bills for the year.  His last two performances with STP were headlining festivals in California that both drew 17-20,000 people.  Scott probably didn't come even close to drawing that combined on the final Blaster tour.

Even as a solo act Scott could have made more money, but he alienated fans by putting on short poor performances while drunk and high on drugs.  If Scott had gone out there sober and done an acoustic tour with 25-30 songs from throughout his career like Chris Cornell, he could have made way more money and toured less.  The root of all of Scott's problems was his addiction to drugs and alcohol, if he'd gotten clean he would have immediately been pulling in millions of dollars again doing far less work.

Totally. I saw STP first in 2002 in Philadelphia where they rocked. Then in like 2009 where Scott messed up some things and he didn't seem into it, which led my friends and I to not be very interested to see them again. We eventually did in Atlantic City twice and the set lists seemed very similar, and I wished they played longer.

I always felt that Scott was just collecting a paycheck and that he kind of took his work for granted. That was the vibe I got seeing him play. If only he played longer sets, rarer songs, and just better shows, he would have made a lot more money.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2016, 07:29:04 AM »
I never got less than 100% from Scott at STP gigs. I saw them 2002 in London, 2008 in Detroit and 2010 in London again, and he was absolutely into it every time. He had some drunken gigs with STP, but he seemed to give much less of a fuck generally at his solo gigs.

TinyPenisMusic

• Co-Pilot
  • WTF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2016, 09:53:02 PM »
I want to know just how 'broke' Scott was. Was he Martha Stewart broke or MC Hammer broke?
"Hey buddy are you lubed up?" -Scott Weiland

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2016, 10:04:17 PM »
Well, based upon the address mistakenly given out by the Minnesota COD press release, it's not like he was living in an apartment in Barstow. His rent had to be significantly more than any of us pay.

But he probably had a lot of debt too.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2016, 12:55:17 AM »
Weird things happen when people like this die and he has ex wives, kids, family, and a current spouse.  Not surprised new wife says he was broke and old wife says he has a trust and assets.  Everyone will be making a play for whatever is left.  It's safe to assume Scott has a trust with income producing assets in them.  He still owns his work which will generate royalties forever.

Offspring just sold their rights for like $30m.  I'd say STP is in the same neighborhood.  Plus VR and his solo stuff.  Lots of $$ to fight over.  I'd guess $10m-$20m in assets.  Trusts typically have clear instructions.  Hopefully, his two kids inherit this and are able to live a comfortable life.     

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2016, 01:58:27 AM »
I want to know just how 'broke' Scott was. Was he Martha Stewart broke or MC Hammer broke?

Yeah something isn't adding up. The tours he was doing he couldn't be doing for money. It had to be just bc he could get away with the lifestyle he preferred easier on the road. Playing shows that only gross 6-9k a show isn't much of a profit when you have hired players, a manger, a tour manager, techs, renting a fairly nice tour bus, driver, food, gas, lodging, etc.

Does anyone know if STP sold their publishing yet? I read recently Offspring sold their publishing off for 35 million, I'd imagine STP would net a decent amount more than that for their catalog.

mrmojorisin

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2016, 02:30:07 AM »
STP's catalog blows The Offsprings out of the water and then some.
Too much walkin shoes worn thin  Too trippin and my souls worn thin

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2016, 04:42:59 AM »

What does that have to do with anything?
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

mrmojorisin

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2016, 05:13:49 AM »

What does that have to do with anything?
that the post above mine said The Offspring sold their catalog for 35 million. Therefore if STP did that they would get waymore than 35 million.
Too much walkin shoes worn thin  Too trippin and my souls worn thin

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2016, 12:22:43 AM »
Just read this again. I find this interesting -

"On the road, Weiland and bassist Tommy Black were drinking buddies. The two had been out late on Wednesday, Dec. 2, in Chicago, where The Wildabouts' bus stopped after a show in Toronto. The next morning, according to a crew member on the bus, Weiland woke up at nine, used the bathroom and then returned to bed."

So on the day of Scott's death he had woken up, used the bathroom and then gone back to his room and took cocaine, MDMA and alcohol, alone, during the daytime causing an accidental overdose??
Or were those all things in his system from the night before when he was out partying with Tommy?
The latter seems more likely but I always thought an 'overdose' was something that happened immediately, not the following day??
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Xylonjay

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2016, 01:07:40 AM »
Just read this again. I find this interesting -

"On the road, Weiland and bassist Tommy Black were drinking buddies. The two had been out late on Wednesday, Dec. 2, in Chicago, where The Wildabouts' bus stopped after a show in Toronto. The next morning, according to a crew member on the bus, Weiland woke up at nine, used the bathroom and then returned to bed."

So on the day of Scott's death he had woken up, used the bathroom and then gone back to his room and took cocaine, MDMA and alcohol, alone, during the daytime causing an accidental overdose??
Or were those all things in his system from the night before when he was out partying with Tommy?
The latter seems more likely but I always thought an 'overdose' was something that happened immediately, not the following day??

I had thought the same thing. I found the story of how Scott and Tommy were out late the night before he died, interesting. Especially when combined with the quote Tommy made to investigators the next night that "...he was not surprised."

sadiej

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
I suppose it's possible Scott stayed up drinking til 9 am, then went to bed . I am wondering if the toxicology report will be released , it usually takes a couple of months , that may shed some light on the time line of that tragic day .

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2016, 02:33:54 AM »
I suppose it's possible Scott stayed up drinking til 9 am, then went to bed . I am wondering if the toxicology report will be released , it usually takes a couple of months , that may shed some light on the time line of that tragic day .

That is indeed a possibility, perhaps they got back from the bar at say 2am and then decided to continue the 'party' back on the tourbus until the early hours of the morning. That theory also goes along with what the tour manager said about Scott using cocaine sometimes just so he could stay awake and drink more alcohol.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2016, 03:20:06 AM »
Somebody help me...What you are saying is the last time they saw Scott up was at 9AM.  If I remember, the time of death was around 8:30PM right?  The questions would be 1.  Where did they call the time of death?  On the Bus?  2.  That is almost 12 hours & not even Tommy came to check to see why He was sleeping all day?  Something doesn't sound right or I just didn't read it right.

8) :-* :(
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave