October 01, 2024, 06:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Billboard piece is out  (Read 13564 times)

pieceofpie6661

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Billboard piece is out
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 04:22:26 AM »
And once again Tommy Black is both scummy for enabling Scott like this and taking no responsibility in his role in Scott's death, and he is a terrible addict that better get help or else I'm sure we'll be hearing that he's been found dead at some point soon...seriously - getting black out drunk right after your friend has passed? Christ...

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 05:33:15 AM »
Billboard should have more integrity (and better fact checking).

Admittingly, I am physically shaken by that. I'm furious. My poor, desperate boy. How humiliated he would be. I thought my heart was already broken. Ugh. 💔
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 05:39:00 AM »
Overall, I don't like the vibe the article gives... I'm just going to say it.

I mean, they present a good bit of info that we haven't quite heard, mainly some of those quotes they used... but they just highlight any noteable negative thing that could be highlighted into what is already a dark article, being the death of a person... I agree with STPgurl, and ask where the hell is a little integrity?

We don't need to leave people with a lasting impression of his quotes from a bad meet and greet!

Scott Weiland's legacy is more than that. he gave his heart and sole for over 20 years entertaining the world, and doing a fine job at it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:41:10 AM by seattlesound »

HickoryDichotomy

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2016, 01:46:36 PM »
I was checking out the comments on billboard's facebook post about the article, just out of curiosity. Several people started attacking Jamie Weiland, saying that she's trying to make money from her personal photos on the article and that she was lying when she said that she didn't knew about Scott's problems... Danielle Bacher, the article's writer, steps in defending JW saying that she never asked for money and that she also never claimed she didn't know what was going on with Scott.

Danielle Bacher also comments about Mary and the kids: "Trust me, he paid her A LOT of money over the years. He may have been absent in the kids life for the last year or so, but there were also reasons for that. Things that were off record I cannot reveal. But just know, it was a very complex situation and it wasn't because he didn't care." (...) "I just want people to know the truth. He was a very loving father and there are a lot of other circumstances and things that took place that involve the kids I can't further go into."

After reading some of the facebook comments (some of them are really odious towards JW or Mary), it's sad to see everyone judging Scott's life and his choices, disregarding his memory and, above all, his living family and loved ones.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:30:36 PM by HickoryDichotomy »

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »
I honestly didn't think it was that distasteful. Obviously, Scott would have preferred some of this stuff not get out, but it was all presented in the context of his struggle with addiction, bi-polar disorder, and his past, painting him as a sympathetic figure. If people can't level with that, that's their own cynical world view. I think it'd be tough for anyone after reading this to not feel for the guy, and at least understand why he lived the lifestyle he did.

Also, Michael Weiland's wife's name was also Michael?? Bizarre.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2016, 03:24:14 PM »
There's some stuff in there that does add insight to what Scott was going through, but a lot of it just pissed me off about enablers more than anything, and there's certain specific details that didn't really need to be out there, like Scott having hep C.  Also the fact that they didn't mention this kids had their own memorial for Scott (which I reported) and only mentioned that they no showed the funeral is just total bullshit.  Trust me, the kids honored Scott the way they wanted to, and it was beautiful from what I was told.

Did you know he had it?
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2016, 03:35:07 PM »
I honestly didn't think it was that distasteful. Obviously, Scott would have preferred some of this stuff not get out, but it was all presented in the context of his struggle with addiction, bi-polar disorder, and his past, painting him as a sympathetic figure. If people can't level with that, that's their own cynical world view. I think it'd be tough for anyone after reading this to not feel for the guy, and at least understand why he lived the lifestyle he did.

Also, Michael Weiland's wife's name was also Michael?? Bizarre.

I agree.

I didn't have any problems with the article.  Didn't seem to have a whole lot more info than what I've read on this board to be honest.

Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »
I thought it was a good piece. It was written to give news regarding Weiland's status rather than some kind of fond memory piece. It did it's job, and there was stuff there I didn't know. Like the Hep-C thing? Holy shit.... but now that I've heard it, it makes sense.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2016, 06:08:04 PM »
Not sure if anyone saw the link in and around the article of "photos never seen"? .. Nice photos of Scott from the last year or so

http://www.billboard.com/photos/6851823/scott-weiland-never-before-seen-photos/1
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2016, 07:06:37 PM »
I'm not sure why anyone would have an issue with anything Jamie said in this article, her comments are far more respectful than those made by Mary which I feel were in bad taste. I'm glad Jamie responded to Mary's comments about Scott to be honest, someone needs to defend the man since he can't defend himself. We know he wasn't perfect but there's clearly more to the story regarding not seeing his kids than Mary made out.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

mrmojorisin

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2016, 07:09:38 PM »
Not sure if anyone saw the link in and around the article of "photos never seen"? .. Nice photos of Scott from the last year or so

http://www.billboard.com/photos/6851823/scott-weiland-never-before-seen-photos/1
he looks frail in the band pics
Too much walkin shoes worn thin  Too trippin and my souls worn thin

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2016, 07:15:06 PM »
The article was rough but I don't think it was in poor taste. It was illuminating in many ways -- particularly about Scott's mental health issues.

You know, I believe 100% that the Corpus Christi incident was due to a bad dosage on his bipolar meds, along with a few drinks. Also, it makes a lot more sense putting into context how much he'd been struggling with his bipolar the past year or so. In fact, I believe that might have had as much, if not more, of an effect on his downward spiral than his drug and alcohol use.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2016, 08:04:57 PM »

he looks frail in the band pics

Love the pic with his dog
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2016, 09:03:50 PM »
This quote got to me the most.

"A lot of times I've seen Scott do coke so he could drink more," says Mohler. "If I had known he was going to die, I would have taken every bottle away from him and thrown it. Just broke it right there."

Uh what the hell did you think was going to happen?

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2016, 10:12:51 PM »
I have some reporter friends who work for major newspapers (not major as in NY, LA or Chicago), but big papers. One in particular has won some big awards for his reporting, including a recent story that went national. I thought about emailing him about this piece, then decided not to. Woke up today to a message from him, so I decided to ask him anyway. I aired the grievances from this site and asked him about those in the context of journalistic integrity and fact-checking.

Here is his response to dirty laundry after someone dies: "The tendency to get it all out there at that point is basically a fire sale mentality of 'well, this is the last time anyone's going to care about Person X, let's shake loose everything we've got.' While someone's alive, there's also the element of 'hey, this person is struggling with their disease, don't pick on them,' but after the battle's been lost, that's no longer a concern. But obviously, dumping everything you've got into print also has the strong possibility of offending fans, along with relatives, etc. The Amy Winehouse documentary, as well as it's been received, has pissed a bunch of folks off, for instance."

When I told him about specifically mentioning the 'official' funeral and that the ex-wife and kids did not attend, but not mentioning the 'unofficial' memorial they put on when old friends of his, he replied: "The other memorial is just a straight-up oopsie, I suspect."

Obviously I think he is going to err on the side of assuming the writer did their own due diligence, but it seems as if this really isn't a piece that disregarded ethics.

To me, I know my heroes are people, and I think deep down we all knew Scott could be a person we wouldn't want to know, which is sad because we all know that he started out as a person many people would want to know. The thing that turned me off about Mary's letter is that, as a cautionary tale, it never mentioned once that, ya know, he used to actually be fun, likable, and a good dad. The way she portrays him as always being a shitty human being actually shits on her own point.

THIS piece is specifically about his downward spiral at the end, but at least it does mention, albeit a quote from his mother, that he was a good guy at one time and that is why it is tragic that he ended up where he did.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:15:29 PM by lovemachine97 »