October 01, 2024, 06:24:54 PM

Author Topic: Billboard piece is out  (Read 13559 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: Billboard piece is out
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 10:11:53 PM »
There's some stuff in there that does add insight to what Scott was going through, but a lot of it just pissed me off about enablers more than anything, and there's certain specific details that didn't really need to be out there, like Scott having hep C.  Also the fact that they didn't mention this kids had their own memorial for Scott (which I reported) and only mentioned that they no showed the funeral is just total bullshit.  Trust me, the kids honored Scott the way they wanted to, and it was beautiful from what I was told.

Was any of this new to you?

A lot of it was new, but there were also things that touched on some things I've been told.  Most of the stuff I've been told wasn't in there though, fortunately.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 10:42:53 PM »
I'm 40 years old and have some of my favorite musicians/actors pass away and nothing compares to Scott to dying. ive thought of him everyday since December 3rd. Is that ok or just weird to feel that way about somebody I've never met?

You're not alone. I'm with you, as I would guess most others here are too.

Xylonjay

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 10:45:59 PM »
I'm 40 years old and have some of my favorite musicians/actors pass away and nothing compares to Scott to dying. ive thought of him everyday since December 3rd. Is that ok or just weird to feel that way about somebody I've never met?

Yep. I feel the same way.

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 10:47:29 PM »

great avatar

Rol2292

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 11:21:00 PM »
Whoa.... Not sure where to begin...  Tommy Black is covering his ass by saying the bag wasn't his, right? I mean, seriously. And the rumors about his financial situation turn out to be true. It's sad - with all the success this guy experienced that he didn't have two nickels to rub together. I also can't help but think, wasn't it costing him money to be touring? He was hitting B and C markets for the second time in less than a year - doesn't make sense.

Just a sad piece. And I don't have an issue with some of the new stuff we learned, unfortunately, if you're a celebrity. your life is an open book. 
Werd to Big Berd!

Xylonjay

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 11:21:10 PM »

great avatar

Thanks! One of my favorite shots.

sadiej

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 11:35:32 PM »
Feel exactly the same as you, and you are right, does feel a little weird to be this deeply affected by a " stranger's " death . And this Billboard article has only deepened my sadness for him :(

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 12:11:44 AM »
The Dean quote affected me the most. Robert seemed to be the most affected in the Atlanta video, so I am surprised he wasn't quoted in the article. Then again, he's the only member of the band not to speak to Brett, so...

Honestly, the bad stuff revealed doesn't bother me. As a long-time fan, knowing there were some clear problems that related to his behavior in the last couple years makes me feel less like he gave up and more like he just succumbed to the weight he carried on his shoulders. In other words, instead of making the conscious decision to give up and just ride the drug wave into eternity, events just simply broke him one at a time. Maybe as a fan I don't deserve that kind of, well, satisfaction isn't the right word, but whatever it is, maybe I don't deserve that information more than he deserves his privacy, but the reporter only could have gotten then information from those he interviewed, and if it was printed, I doubt it was told 'off the record.'

I went back through his stories and his spiral and on a couple threads in here, I stated that it seemed like the beginning of the end for him was when his brother died. He had successful sober stints after jail in the No. 4 era and with Velvet Revolver, but that his behavior became more reckless and erratic after Michael's death and he never seemed to have another stretch of sobriety again.

This article seems to confirm that. As soon as he heard of his death, down the hatch the whisky went. Later that year the DUI, the problems with VR intensified, he goes to a very short rehab, then quickly got back with STP, and he just never seemed to be the same performer again. He was just on that slow slide into the abyss. Having to tour constantly over the last couple years just probably moved the timetable up a bit.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 12:35:54 AM »
I'm kind of surprised we got this good of an article. I know that sounds bad, but still.

gothsocialite

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 01:05:37 AM »
Man, what a heartbreaking read. Definitely made me tear up a bit.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 01:47:55 AM »
That was rough.  This all still just bums me out so so much.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 02:17:00 AM »
I did a story on Billboard's article, and I mentioned this:

'It is also mentioned in Billboard’s article that Scott’s children did not attend his funeral at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. What Billboard didn’t mention though is that Scott’s children had their own private memorial for Scott, where they learned about who Scott was growing up from his oldest friends, and sent him off to Heaven in a way that honored his Catholic faith.'

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 03:55:01 AM »
I knew Tommy was drinking with Scott a lot in the days leading up to his death because he posted lots of pictures of them drunk together on twitter but I didn't realise they'd been out drinking together literally the night before Scott died (December 2nd). It seems as though in the last few months it had probably become a daily thing for them to get wasted together on drink and (sometimes) drugs. I also didn't realise Scott had actually left his room briefly on the morning of his death to use the bathroom, the fact he went straight back to bed leads me to believe he must've already been feeling unwell, I'm not sure if he could've been saved at that point but I wish he'd have stayed up or spoken to someone rather than retreating back to his room :(

Tommy needs to get himself clean, this guy clearly has a serious issue with alcohol too and him and Scott enabled each other, unfortunately though Scott's body couldn't handle it.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 04:11:18 AM »
I wonder how long Scott had been dead before they found him.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

pieceofpie6661

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 04:16:14 AM »
Dark stuff...it seems like another lifetime ago Scott was happy, healthy, and on top of the world with VR and Mary/his kids in a tight family unit...

Seems to me like the paranoia/delusional thinking (remember when he thought VR was fully reuniting? or when STP fired him and he said it was to boost ticket sales?) came from his downward spiral back into various drugs and definitely from his alcohol abuse. He has dealt with bipolar for a long time before this, through his sober periods, but never did things get so bad until after Michael died. I remember reading in Mary's book (and her open letter) that once he relapsed on booze/coke in late 2007, he had very similar symptoms of paranoia..

I wonder if he had just stayed clean back then after Michael passed...everything would be so much better..