September 27, 2024, 06:24:18 PM

Author Topic: New Filter album 'Crazy Eyes' out April 8th!! Listen to First Single online now.  (Read 7287 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Filter are set to release their 7th album 'Crazy Eyes' on April 8th and start touring in the Spring. The first single entitled 'Take Me To Heaven' is currently being streamed exclusively on Billboard.com -

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6844181/filter-take-me-to-heaven-premiere-crazy-eyes-album-interview

I know there are a few Filter fans on the board so thought it would be good to start a thread to discuss the new single and album too (when it's released). I've been a fan of the band since the late 90's and while I must admit I prefer their first 3 albums to their last 3, it's clear Richard still knows how to write a big catchy chorus as proven with this new single. I've listened to it twice so far and I really like it, I'm looking forward to the new album and I hope it is a return to his earlier roots, the last few albums had their moments too but I just felt something was missing.

I'm also crossing fingers for another Army of Anyone record in the future but I can't see that happening until next year at the earliest (if at all).
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
I still remember how awesome and visceral Hey Man, Nice Shot was when it was a new track. And then Patrick released that second album, which was a much more accomplished and fully listenable album than Short Bus was, and I couldn't believe it. The Amalgamut had some flavor to it, but Title of Record will probably go down as Filter's peak and definitive record when all is said and done.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Yeah I remember seeing the video for 'Hey Man, Nice Shot' a lot on MTV back in the day but for some reason I didn't check out the band immediately, it wasn't until I heard a song they did for the Spawn soundtrack a couple of years later that I really started listening to them. I agree that 'Title of Record' was Filter's peak, I rank that album very highly. To me it is one of those classic albums that has stood the test of time, every song on it to me is amazing. The Amalgamut was a decent follow up I thought but not quite on the same level. The last 3 to me have been a bit hit and miss, there are some songs I really really like but some I just don't care for at all. I always check out every Filter album though because I know there will always be at least a few songs on it that I'll love. Also I will say as far as first singles go I think this new song is much stronger than 'What Do You Say' and 'The Inevitable Relapse' which gives me high hopes for the rest of the album.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Interesting new single. With this in the can and the release in April hopefully it will give Richard some time to get with the Boys in STP. Can't wait to hear the rest of this album. I am intrigued especially because of this new single.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Let me preface this by saying, I think Filter is great. I'm a long time fan.
They've had a career chock-full of good songs. This new song follows suit.
And I thought the last record was really good too. One of their best.

With that said, it's kind of annoying to always hear Rich defend the production - like THIS album is the one he wanted to make, because the last one wasn't. Or how he'll never work with anyone else other than THIS band/producer because it's the best he's had.

I get it that it's just what bands do, but it's corny and tired, especially from him.
Just make your music. You're damn good at it. No apologies.

STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
I hear exactly what your saying. The one time he didn't seem to do that was with AOA. By the way I have listened to this new song over 10 times now. Production to me is what they feel the song should be in the moment and to me everything he has ever done has that feel for a reason. It is part of the art of song writing. I agree he shouldn't defend anything just let it stand on it's own period.

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
Really digging this track. Impressed that in 2016 Richard Patrick can still sing like that.
Seems like you left me when you broke down

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
Some slight NIN-vibes here, melodically reminds me of The Hand That Feeds a little bit. Pretty cool track. Not wholly feeling Richards vocals, but everything else is in line pretty nicely.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Rich posted the lyrics on Facebook -

"Take Me To Heaven"

Looking at you for all my answers
bright blue eyes that go dark and then shut

now that your gone
there's a reason to get strong a light has shown the truth
but we're all left here
with a single fear and it's all because of you

Take me take me heaven
watch me go bye bye
to the sky

words in a book with burnt up pages
the meaning of which is lost to the ages

turn the pages that fade through the ages
A love of truth not faith and faces

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Brett has posted a short but cool interview with Richard Parrick regarding the new single and album -

http://www.alternativenation.net/filter-richard-patrick-nin-members-praises-alternative-nation/

Also the new single is now available to buy on iTunes and Amazon and to stream on Spotify and YouTube.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
In depth interview with Richard, he discusses the new album, his time in NIN, Scott Weiland and addiction -

http://aestheticmagazinetoronto.com/2016/02/05/interview-filter-richard-patrick-talks-crazy-eyes-addiction-and-nine-inch-nails/

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
I can appreciate his views on Scott and his addiction, but it seems like he's trying really hard to reclaim his Short Bus and Title of Record glory when he talks about his new music. Unfortunately, there's no way he's going to hit those heights he hit back in the 90's.

As a big fan of those first three Filter albums, he just hasn't been the same since Army of Anyone. Almost a castrated sort of vibe. I don't want to blame his sobriety for losing his oomph, but ever since he has been sober, the music has just lacked the balls that made his early music great.
Bleeda blooda

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Not dissing his sobriety in any sort of way, good for him for getting sober and staying sober....
Bleeda blooda

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Seems like I'm a couple of days late to the party but Filter dropped another song from the new album online, it's called 'Mother E'...

http://loudwire.com/filter-mother-e/

It doesn't really do it for me but most fans of the Facebook page seem to be loving it for it's hard industrial sound...
'Title of Record' was my fav Filter record though and this is a lot more 'out there' than the stuff on that album.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Forgot there was a thread about this.

Album is really weak as far as the songwriting goes. Heavy for the sake of being heavy doesn't make it good. It's actually pretty cheesy. Some people will love it because most of the songs share the Short Bus sound but if you liked the Filter on Titled of Record, and the Amalgamut, you'll hate this shit.
Take it.