September 27, 2024, 11:19:36 PM

Author Topic: who fits the bill to sing with STP/New Project  (Read 9803 times)

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
who fits the bill to sing with STP/New Project
« on: January 14, 2016, 04:28:54 PM »
I think Vinnie Dombroski from Sponge would be an excellent fit. Any suggestions?

artsyblacksmith

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: who fits the bill to sing with STP/New Project
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »
I think Josh Homme is the ONLY singer that can be successful with STP. Perfect fit.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 04:46:10 PM »
I think Josh Homme is the ONLY singer that can be successful with STP. Perfect fit.
I love QOTSA, TCV, etc, but please no.  Josh is a terrific musician and lyricist but his singing is positively bland and he rarely showcases any range. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 05:41:44 PM by Aaron »

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 05:38:03 PM »

Wasn't his name once mentioned as someone the Deleos were interested in?

I love QOTSA, but I'm not so sure about perfect fit. Homme is really best suited in what he does in QOTSA.

I think Vinnie Dombroski from Sponge would be an excellent fit. Any suggestions?

Vinnie has a good voice and sometimes even has that "look". Melodically, he's just not always very inventive. They've had some good stuff over the years, but it'd be Scott-lite to say the least.
Another dude that's very talented and draws from some of that Bowie influence is Royston Langdon from Spacehog. Their last record was very good. But again, filling Scott's shoes is nearly impossible, if at all, just ask VR. :)
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 05:47:29 PM »
I love QOTSA, TCV, etc, but please no.  Josh is a terrific musician and lyricist but his singing is positively bland and he rarely showcases any range. 

I wouldn't say bland (I Appear Missing, 3's and 7's, I Never Came) but yes, I love Josh just the way he is in QOTSA and don't think vocal style would be a good fit with STP. I don't think we're at the point anymore where we should be discussing "who would be a good fit for STP?" but who would the DeLeo's and Kretz be a good fit with musically in other projects.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 06:06:59 PM »
STP = Nobody fits. Chester was pretty good at singing the same old set list these guys want to continue playing forever; and I think that was their last & best option.  Trying again is just more beating a dead horse.

New Project = Chester would have been their best bet for a NEW project, with NEW music, and a NEW style. They all could have gone the Audioslave route and broken free of their past sounds/bands... but they blew it.

IMO, the DeLeos & Eric's best bet is to find a NEW voice, or at least a relatively unknown talent. This is why major movies often cast unknown actors in lead roles. New talent offers a fresh start, new perspective (voice), and it eliminates comparisons.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »

At times I think Vinnie and Scott have looked the same on stage.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 09:42:24 PM »
agree with Slither and Steak

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 09:56:21 PM »
I feel the STP name needs to be laid to rest now.

A new project with Vinnie Dombroski, as stated above, would be fantastic! I've been a fan of Vinnie for a very long time.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Rol2292

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 12:07:20 AM »
My 2 cents - I've always felt Lenny Kravitz fit their vibe and style.
Werd to Big Berd!

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 12:31:38 AM »
I feel the STP name needs to be laid to rest now.

A new project with Vinnie Dombroski, as stated above, would be fantastic! I've been a fan of Vinnie for a very long time.

I'm pretty sure Vinnie Dombrowski is still in that shit band Crud.  I don't know if Sponge exist anymore or not. 

I remember being REAL excited for SPYS4DARWIN (what a horrible name) and their EP that came out years ago.  I don't know if they even played a show?
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 01:09:13 AM »
Sponge is still around but more as a Vinnie fronted band when he has time. Crud eh was a side project that doesn't do much. Spys4Darwin was awesome but they never did much with it my guess is DeGarmo was the reason. Anyway I am sure Vinnie would drop anything if Kretz and the Deleo's called him. They only tour on and off.

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 02:52:36 AM »
                      I'm glad this thread was brought up because I have been thinking about this as well.
I find it interesting that several people here brought up the name Lenny Kravitz. I'm a huge fan and have most of his albums. I think he's more funk/R&B/rock. If he did STP he would have to leave his funky personality and just stay to rock. Which is fine but I don't know if he 100% fits the STP bill.
                     I do like the the Vinny idea. I had 3 of their older 90's albums and he definitely had a rocking voice and their band had some different sounds which STP is all about which could possibly work with him. As someone else stated he kind of had that Scott look at one time.
                     I know Robert is doing his band right now but I'm pretty sure the 3 of them are not done making music especially together. From what we know the guys had a lot of new material with Chester right before he moved on from STP. They could easily take that and get a new guy/new band name. I wouldn't see why they would have to all go their separate ways. They still enjoy making music together. I guess it would be something like Talk Show but maybe with more of a well known singer at the helm and like I mentioned a new name of a band too. Possibly a new type of rock vibe as well or just straight forward rock n' roll. Doesn't seem too far fetched right?

8)

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 03:14:32 AM »
I like this back and forth. I see that Dean, Robert, and Kretz are together as one like when they did their tribute to Scott. You can tell they are closer today than they have ever been. Is there a way to start a campaign maybe through pledge music or some other means to put together a new project. Or maybe they are doing things behind the scenes.

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 03:16:43 AM »
I like this back and forth. I see that Dean, Robert, and Kretz are together as one like when they did their tribute to Scott. You can tell they are closer today than they have ever been. Is there a way to start a campaign maybe through pledge music or some other means to put together a new project. Or maybe they are doing things behind the scenes.
No, there is no way of connecting with the band, we are pretty much left in the dark regarding 99% of things that go on. The social media presence is horrendous.