September 27, 2024, 09:15:04 PM

Author Topic: who fits the bill to sing with STP/New Project  (Read 9801 times)

Scott4ever

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: who fits the bill to sing with STP/New Project
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2016, 10:27:00 PM »
Everyone is missing the obvious here - a Scott hologram is what Dean, Eric, and Robert need to do!  Think about it, they could tour whenever they want and they would finally get along with him.... ;)

Tongue firmly in cheek, btw.
I knew the questions, but I lost the answers...
STP:  July 2, 1994 (cancelled)/September 4, 1994/November 20, 1996/May 5, 1997/July 26, 2000/December 31, 2001/October 8, 2002/August 22, 2008 (cancelled)
VR:  December 8, 2004/May 24, 2005/September 6, 2005/October 6, 2007
Scott Weiland and The Wildabouts:  March 6, 2015

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2016, 10:38:54 PM »

Not to bring up a whole "bash Chester" vibe or whatever... I like the guy and I appreciate his passion for stp, but what bothered me with him is that in so many ways he was trying to channel Scott(at least to me...). If I'm wrong about that, then so be it. It's just my two cents.

I have to say that before I say the next part... I don't have a perfect name or anything to throw out there, but I almost want to say I feel it should be someone who almost brings a different vibe to the table, as in not trying to sound like Scott.

However, I guess that would present the obvious problem of how would stp play the songs everyone is paying to hear with a voice that comes from a different direction?

Sammy Hagar did it with Van Halen.. No way you can tell me he sounds like David Lee Roth. Now, David Lee Roth is actually a terrible singer and Weiland wasn't, so the comparison isn't quite the same, but my point is you can have singer successfully replace another who doesn't sound anything alike.

AC/DC did it, but they went the other way, and got someone who sounds so similar to the original guy that many people don't know they had 2 different singers (I didn't know for years and years after being introduced to them).

Alice in Chains took the middle road and got someone who can sing exactly like Layne on the old songs and contribute his own voice to the new ones.

The one thing all of these bands have in common that sets them apart from STP is the primary core of songwriters stayed in place from one signer to the next (the Youngs in the case of AC/DC, Jerry Cantrell in the case of AiC, Eddie Van Halen in the case of VH). With STP, though, while the remaining members often contributed the basic music tracks, Weiland wrote the lyrics, melodies and arrangements for basically every single STP song, ever.

Point being is STP is already one step behind the three other bands mentioned since 50% of the core songwriting team is deceased. In their case, I would say STP should probably call it a day as STP. Any further projects involving the surviving three members should be called something else. (This is why I had such a problem with them "firing" Scott to being with and continuing with Chester with the same name-- Stone Temple Pilots, by very definition, is Scott Weiland's vision and his crafting of the raw music created by the DeLeo/Kretz triad.)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:45:40 PM by nat »

psyche

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2016, 10:39:10 PM »
hahahaha

psyche

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2016, 10:41:04 PM »
laughing at hologram idea whenever they want him. 

psyche

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2016, 10:43:02 PM »
those 3 bros will do what is right for them.  i love sammy hagar.

psyche

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile

psyche

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2016, 01:48:13 AM »
The one thing all of these bands have in common that sets them apart from STP is the primary core of songwriters stayed in place from one signer to the next (the Youngs in the case of AC/DC, Jerry Cantrell in the case of AiC, Eddie Van Halen in the case of VH). With STP, though, while the remaining members often contributed the basic music tracks, Weiland wrote the lyrics, melodies and arrangements for basically every single STP song, ever.

Point being is STP is already one step behind the three other bands mentioned since 50% of the core songwriting team is deceased. In their case, I would say STP should probably call it a day as STP.

Complete and total bullshit. Scott pretty much didn't arrange anything for STP. He occasionally came up with a guitar riff that Dean or Rob would re-purpose, but throughout the entire history of STP Scott almost never contributed to the arrangement of the songs. The Deleos, Kretz, and Brendan worked out the instrumentals and then Scott put a melody and lyrics to it. He was NEVER "50% of the songwriting team."

I'm not saying Scott is exactly replaceable by any stretch, but to give him credit for stuff he had absolutely no part in is ludicrous. It's like saying Eric Kretz played every guitar solo in every album. It's complete bullshit.

Rob is 50% of the songwriting team. Dean is the other 50%. Kretz and Scott contributed, but if you removed their contributions you'd still have 95% of STP's song catalog, just with different vocals and drums.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:16:15 AM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2016, 01:59:33 AM »
I remember VR when Scott went in to record with them the music was already finished, The second album he had some input with the music but it was minimal. Vocals,melody were almost all Scott. With STP it was a total different animal Robert, and Kretz help write some of the melodies and layered background Vocals, even look at talk show same thing.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2016, 02:15:32 AM »
I remember VR when Scott went in to record with them the music was already finished, The second album he had some input with the music but it was minimal. Vocals,melody were almost all Scott. With STP it was a total different animal Robert, and Kretz help write some of the melodies and layered background Vocals, even look at talk show same thing.

Scott definitely did a lot of work in the composition of Contraband. You Got No Right is an excellent example where Slash gave Scott a chord progression, and Scott basically crafted the entire song from that.

The ONLY point in which Scott was a major contributor to STP's songwriting and composition was Shangri-La Dee Da, in which he gets primary credits on Dumb Love and a secondary credit for each song after that. I think THAT was the one time he played a part in the arrangement of the songs for the band, and it also happens to be STP's least iconic album from their original run.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 04:13:33 AM by Blue »

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2016, 06:50:29 PM »
Aside from any songs credited to Scott on SLDD, the only song that I can think of from the STP catalog that Scott came up with the music to is Tumble In The Rough.  Somebody feel free to correct me if you can find another.  I know Kretz of all people wrote the music to Trippin' On A a Hole In A Paper Heart. 

I don't think the guys' songwriting skills of riffs, chord progressions, and arrangement are what's going to hurt them as long as they work with Brendan. It's the melodies that I think could be lacking a little even with their best effort. I think they can get an unknown to fill Scott's shoes and channel him on the classics just as Chester did. However, those are pre-written songs.  I don't think anyone will EVER be able to fill Scott's shoes when it comes to writing melodies for new STP material going forward.  There was just an unexplainable magic, a real chemistry at play there between Scott and these guys when it came to his sense of melody and the guys' music. There really was no one better.

coo2

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2016, 07:22:14 PM »
I believe Scott brought in Unglued to the band-- or at least the main riff.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2016, 07:22:40 PM »
Aside from any songs credited to Scott on SLDD, the only song that I can think of from the STP catalog that Scott came up with the music to is Tumble In The Rough.  Somebody feel free to correct me if you can find another.  I know Kretz of all people wrote the music to Trippin' On A a Hole In A Paper Heart. 

I don't think the guys' songwriting skills of riffs, chord progressions, and arrangement are what's going to hurt them as long as they work with Brendan. It's the melodies that I think could be lacking a little even with their best effort. I think they can get an unknown to fill Scott's shoes and channel him on the classics just as Chester did. However, those are pre-written songs.  I don't think anyone will EVER be able to fill Scott's shoes when it comes to writing melodies for new STP material going forward.  There was just an unexplainable magic, a real chemistry at play there between Scott and these guys when it came to his sense of melody and the guys' music. There really was no one better.

Scott came up with the opening riff to Unglued, as well... But in that instance the actual song was construced by Rob, I believe.

I think the only scenario in which they could have somewhat filled the void Scott left was if Chester was still in the band, but the band collaboratively wrote the melody and the lyrics. Rob wrote Interstate Love Song's chorus melody, and Kretz co-wrote Plush's lyrics, so they were both a big part of the vocal element of STP's two biggest songs. The band also really collaborated on the melodies and lyrics for Talk Show, and I think that's the most STP-like an album without Scott has sounded.

Chester has the vocal range for the role, but he clearly isn't as good at coming up with melodies and lyrics as Scott was... But if the the rest of the band could have collaborated with him on the vocals, and brought something like Talk Show to the table, I think that could have been worthy of being called STP. More worthy than S/T, at least.

But as I've said before, I just don't think they're going to find someone else like Chester who has the range, the love for the music, and the chemistry with the band to take the job. So at this point I say they shelve STP, do some new projects, and start releasing STP's archival material.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:24:37 PM by Blue »

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2016, 08:57:50 PM »

Point being is STP is already one step behind the three other bands mentioned since 50% of the core songwriting team is deceased. In their case, I would say STP should probably call it a day as STP.

Complete and total bullshit. Scott pretty much didn't arrange anything for STP. He occasionally came up with a guitar riff that Dean or Rob would re-purpose, but throughout the entire history of STP Scott almost never contributed to the arrangement of the songs. The Deleos, Kretz, and Brendan worked out the instrumentals and then Scott put a melody and lyrics to it. He was NEVER "50% of the songwriting team."

I'm not saying Scott is exactly replaceable by any stretch, but to give him credit for stuff he had absolutely no part in is ludicrous. It's like saying Eric Kretz played every guitar solo in every album. It's complete bullshit.

Rob is 50% of the songwriting team. Dean is the other 50%. Kretz and Scott contributed, but if you removed their contributions you'd still have 95% of STP's song catalog, just with different vocals and drums.

Excuse me, but fuck you too.

It's been said in interview after interview with STP that the songs don't become what they are until the musical ideas are given to Scott and he crafts them into what they ultimately become. His contributions go far beyond just putting words over 100% completed pieces of music (this may be more debatable on self-titled). Rob and Dean come up with the riffs, sure, but Scott shapes the songs into what they ultimately become.

Your analogy of saying it's like saying Kretz played a guitar solo on every song is completely and totally way out, wacko, it's not even CLOSE to the same thing.

No fucking way. Not even close.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2016, 09:23:11 PM »

Excuse me, but fuck you too.

It's been said in interview after interview with STP that the songs don't become what they are until the musical ideas are given to Scott and he crafts them into what they ultimately become. His contributions go far beyond just putting words over 100% completed pieces of music (this may be more debatable on self-titled). Rob and Dean come up with the riffs, sure, but Scott shapes the songs into what they ultimately become.

Your analogy of saying it's like saying Kretz played a guitar solo on every song is completely and totally way out, wacko, it's not even CLOSE to the same thing.

No fucking way. Not even close.

No where in any interview has it ever been said that Scott constructed the songs. What has been said is the his vocals and melodies elevated the rest of the band's music to an entirely new level, which is true. But his influence over the actual construction of the songs, I.E. the key they are played in, chord progressions, riffs, the tempo, the song structure, is almost non-existent.

The DeLeos wrote almost every single chord progression in almost every single song. they selected the tempos, they created the structure of the verses and choruses and bridges, they selected the keys. Scott then took those ideas and crafted a melody that elevated that song to another level. But the keys he sang in? Those didn't come from Scott, those came from the music the Deleos gave Scott. The choruses and verses he wrote? Those were inspired by pre-existing guitar parts the Deleos showed him

Plush, without Scott, would be the exact same song with different vocals. Same for every single other STP song besides Unglued, Tumble in the Rough and the songs from SLDD.

But without the Deleo's, there would be no Plush, no ILS, or Down or Sour Girl or Atlanta, or any other song from any of those albums. The vocals to those songs would have never even existed because the key, chord progression and structure they are based on will never have existed. Unglued would just be a guitar riff, with no choruses or verses or solo because Scott had nothing to do with those parts. Tumble in the Rough would just be an idea.

Would they be as popular without Scott's voice and ideas? Probably not, but the songs came from the DeLeos.

I'm not downplaying Scott's role here, but you just can't come up with delusional notions and then act like they are real. Read ANY article about the construction of STP's music and it is very clear how they did things. Dean or Rob would come up with the riffs, verse, and chorus on guitar. They'd show that to Scott, Scott would go off and write his melody based on that and then write lyrics to it. While he did that, Rob and Kretz worked bass and drum compositions based on the song Dean or Rob wrote. Then either the instrumentalists would record the song with Scott adding vocals later, or all four would record together. It's at this point, when vocals are being laid down, when Dean works out his solo. 

In the instances where Scott came up with the riff, he showed that riff to Dean and Rob, who came up with a verse and chorus themselves, then built a structure around those idea. Then the rest of the song would be written the same as usual.

In the case of Trippin', Kretz wrote the guitar parts, bass line, and drums himself and brought it to the group as a almost completed song. Scott then came up with a melody and lyrics for the song while Dean crafted a solo.

SLDD is the one real exception. Scott had a huge hand in production and therefore had a hand in the construction of most of the songs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:01:09 PM by Blue »