September 30, 2024, 08:28:46 AM

Author Topic: Should Chester be inducted into the RRHOF with STP?  (Read 2830 times)

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Should Chester be inducted into the RRHOF with STP?
« on: January 03, 2016, 07:24:08 PM »
Should Chester's short stint in STP entitle him to an induction in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with STP? For me at least, 1 EP and probably less than 50 shows with the band doesn't sound like enough to qualify him. Maybe it will be the remaining Pilot's call when they are nominated. 
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

Toxic34

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Should Chester be inducted into the RRHOF with STP?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 07:35:31 PM »
Sadly, it's the RRHOF's call who gets in when a band is inducted. It was the HOF's choice that when Black Sabbath was inducted, ONLY the Ozzy lineup got in, giving no mention of Dio and Vinny Appice.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 08:27:32 PM »
0% chance he's inducted.  But if STP lays dormant until then, I would guess he would be the lead singer for the performance.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 08:43:54 PM »
I honestly feel like Chester would not be included in the induction. For his run with the guys to be kinda short and only a handful of songs that were released with him singing it doesn't seem like he would get inducted.

However, if he and the stp guys were to try something down the line again... Maybe linkin park takes some time off or something like that and Chester has time to commit to the stp boys (if they're even willing to do anymore with stp). Him going on the road and the guys recording several albums would change this impression a little bit.

I don't think stp would be up for a rock n roll hall of fame induction for quite some time, so what I'm getting at is there's a chance for the stp legacy to still be modified... We obviously don't know if the dean, Robert, or Eric would consider it whenever the appropriate time comes around... Not that there is a perfect time I guess.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 11:07:35 PM »
It's doubtful that Chester would be inducted for STP, considering he's only contributed to one EP. However, as a big name musician who has been influenced by the band, he may just be the guy who inducts them. And I imagine it's very likely he performs at the ceremony.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 02:35:37 AM »
the fact that Rush didn't get in a long time ago, leads me to believe that STP will never get in.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:48:14 AM »
Considering how many hits they had, and the fact that Scott lived the Rock & Roll lifestyle, I think they will get in within short order.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 02:55:57 AM »
Considering how many hits they had, and the fact that Scott lived the Rock & Roll lifestyle, I think they will get in within short order.

I agree, they had hits and the R&R lifestyle, hell they were probably the best rock band of the 90's, yet STP usually doesn't get the respect they deserve. NIN didn't get in, nor did Soundgarden. If this is correct, then they might have some stiff competition:

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/future_eligibles.php

TOOL, RATM, Radiohead (who haven't been rock since the 90's) + 1 rap grouop that the hall seem to induct every year now.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 05:00:18 AM »
The HoF has had a history of waiting on popular artists who, in general music fans' eyes, had been overlooked for too long.  I mean Motorhead still isn't in, and it's a damn shame.

I don't know if they get stuck looking at sales and chart hits more than they do impact on the music community, or even public.

I think STP will have to wait it out a bit after first eligibility, but while they may not always have gotten their respect from critics up front, I do feel they eventually earned a good amount of respect in hindsight.  Plus, I'm not sure who exactly does the voting, but  think STP had a little more respect from other artists' in the music industry itself.

I do believe it will one day happen, but there's no way Chester would get in.  STP's legacy was already established long before he came around, and they never had any success with him to add to the legacy.  I would think same would go for any other member (should they decide to carry on).
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 06:49:13 AM »

I agree, they had hits and the R&R lifestyle, hell they were probably the best rock band of the 90's, yet STP usually doesn't get the respect they deserve. NIN didn't get in, nor did Soundgarden. If this is correct, then they might have some stiff competition:

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/future_eligibles.php

TOOL, RATM, Radiohead (who haven't been rock since the 90's) + 1 rap grouop that the hall seem to induct every year now.
I will take virtually anyone other than Radiohead getting into the rock hall of fame.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 09:07:15 AM »
Out of a lot of the bands mentioned in this thread, when it comes to the general public, the only Rush song people know is Tom Sawyer, the only Motorhead song people know is Ace Of Spades, the only Nine Inch Nails song people know is Closer, the only Soundgarden song people know is Black Hole Sun, and the only Radiohead song people know is Creep.

As much respect as those bands currently get, STP has had way more hits. And now that their singer is dead, I can see 'em getting the fast track to the HoF.

And I would like to have zero involvement in the ceremonies by Chester Bennington. But I'm sure he will be there because 2 years ago "he's the only guy who can fill Scott's shoes" or whatever. Luckily the RnR HoF is irrelevant and no longer the ROCK hall. It's the popular music hall, and that's lame.

And even though he probably wouldn't act like it, I'm sure Scott would be stoked to be inducted.
Bleeda blooda

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 02:54:27 PM »
Fuck no, he most certainly shouldn't. Not that I mind the record they put out, but it wasn't even credited to STP alone. And even if it were, one 5 song EP and a few tours is nowhere near enough input to justify it.

Yeah, he would probably sing at the induction though, I'd be OK with that.

psyche

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 07:08:18 PM »
umm no hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

umm no

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 10:42:31 PM »
A quick search shows that Gary Cherone was not inducted with Van Halen, and they made a full album with him. Chester will not (and should not) be inducted with STP if and when they get in.

Besides, he'll probably get in with Linkin Park eventually. They were insanely popular in the 2000s.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 07:18:22 AM »
I can't even believe this is a question.....  :-[
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015