September 21, 2024, 10:53:43 AM

Author Topic: Memories of Candles and Incense  (Read 15670 times)

Jukebox Casualty

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Memories of Candles and Incense
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2015, 02:55:20 AM »
I don't know what made me more sad.. hearing Scott's vocals isolated or the look on Rob's face.  Shivers, man.  Shivers.

Damn.

Agreed. He couldn't disguise his emotions at all. He frankly looked devastated listening to that song.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2015, 03:27:53 AM »
Yeah there were parts when Rob was rubbing his neck when commenting on the vocals you could tell he was getting emotional, and Deans deep breath at the end.   But Kretz was cool as a cucumber :)
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2015, 04:35:12 AM »
I highly doubt we will see a windfall of things released. Reason being is that it costs money to put these things out, and whoever pays for it expects a reasonable return. Every type of release has a cost associated with it.

So here are things that I think are likely from most to least:

1) New 'best of' package. This one would be more comprehensive than Thank You. Dead and Bloated would be on it, the single version of Creep, Meatplow, Pretty Penny, Unglued, Tumble in the Rough, Hollywood Bitch, Wonderful, etc...maybe not ALL of the songs played on radio, but more than Thank You. Of course it will also include stuff from self-titled, including Between the Lines, Cinnamon, maybe Take a Load Off. Maybe they will finally use the title, "Big Bang Babies." If no b-sides album is planned, I could see them putting some of the unreleased tracks listed below on this release, maybe has a double disc.

2) A b-sides/loose songs/rarities album. Could even include old demos. Only Dying, Super Scary Area, Fast As I Can, You Can't Drive Me Away, Heed the Water Whisperer, About a Fool, Samba Nova, Way She Moves, Watchin' You, Dancing Days (full version), Revolution, Break on Through. Also Sheer Heart Attack and Where Do The Children Play (if they exist), and any other unreleased songs that are complete or mostly complete.

3) A Blu Ray/DVD concert. My best guess would be the August 1999 MGD Blind Date concert in Vegas in full. The band seems to think this was one of their best. Also, some SLDD concerts were recorded professionally, including one I went to back in '01 or '02 at the Joint in Vegas. One of those could be released.

4) A documentary. As we know from Thank You, there is lots of footage of them recording their albums, lots of bootleg footage (remember they asked us to submit what we had when that came out) except possibly No. 4 and self-titled. I could see, instead of the SLDD doc being released, that being folded into a more macro concept of a history of the band, with new interviews with the guys, Brendan O'Brien, other musicians, other guys who worked on the albums, etc.

I could also see these being released in some sort of combination with each other. I doubt we get all four though.

Any one of those things would be epic, if the pieces of the puzzle were lined up and it was able to be done. I just hope we get something down the line. I would love to see some sort of DVD release with recording footage/concerts... anything.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2015, 04:46:37 AM »
I highly doubt we will see a windfall of things released. Reason being is that it costs money to put these things out, and whoever pays for it expects a reasonable return. Every type of release has a cost associated with it.

So here are things that I think are likely from most to least:

1) New 'best of' package. This one would be more comprehensive than Thank You. Dead and Bloated would be on it, the single version of Creep, Meatplow, Pretty Penny, Unglued, Tumble in the Rough, Hollywood Bitch, Wonderful, etc...maybe not ALL of the songs played on radio, but more than Thank You. Of course it will also include stuff from self-titled, including Between the Lines, Cinnamon, maybe Take a Load Off. Maybe they will finally use the title, "Big Bang Babies." If no b-sides album is planned, I could see them putting some of the unreleased tracks listed below on this release, maybe has a double disc.

2) A b-sides/loose songs/rarities album. Could even include old demos. Only Dying, Super Scary Area, Fast As I Can, You Can't Drive Me Away, Heed the Water Whisperer, About a Fool, Samba Nova, Way She Moves, Watchin' You, Dancing Days (full version), Revolution, Break on Through. Also Sheer Heart Attack and Where Do The Children Play (if they exist), and any other unreleased songs that are complete or mostly complete.

3) A Blu Ray/DVD concert. My best guess would be the August 1999 MGD Blind Date concert in Vegas in full. The band seems to think this was one of their best. Also, some SLDD concerts were recorded professionally, including one I went to back in '01 or '02 at the Joint in Vegas. One of those could be released.

4) A documentary. As we know from Thank You, there is lots of footage of them recording their albums, lots of bootleg footage (remember they asked us to submit what we had when that came out) except possibly No. 4 and self-titled. I could see, instead of the SLDD doc being released, that being folded into a more macro concept of a history of the band, with new interviews with the guys, Brendan O'Brien, other musicians, other guys who worked on the albums, etc.

I could also see these being released in some sort of combination with each other. I doubt we get all four though.

I love all of that. And I'd love all of it. And while most bands/estates/labels probably wouldn't think twice about doing it all - more releases means more bank - somehow, despite our desire for as much as possible, I don't think STP will cash in like that. And don't get me wrong, if they did every one of the things you listed, or even if they reissued each album with extras, I wouldn't take offense to it at all. I'd gobble it right up as many of us would.

And though I wasn't particularly a fan of Alice In Chains' Music Bank (specifically the inclusion of many album tracks that, quite frankly, I already owned), I can see something like that too.  That way, you're able to mix all of these together. Maybe that's the "more comprehensive version" of Thank You. Then again, I don't know what kind of return there is on box sets these days.

I'd also love to see one for non-STP / non-VR Scott anthology. Both audio and video version.
The many soundtrack contributions (Time Of The Season, But Not Tonight, Mockingbird Girl...), the unreleased gems like Yellow Pills, Happy, Full Blown John...leftovers in the vault...Wondergirls, etc.

As I mentioned in a different thread, however, all these different works probably fell under the umbrella of different labels, so who knows who owns the masters and how much red tape there'd be in trying to work it all out.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2015, 06:02:27 AM »
Seeing Eric, Robert, and Dean and without Scott but hearing his voice was so sad. Ugh. It becomes more real everyday.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2015, 04:18:48 PM »
Love the beginning of the recording and Scott saying, " Its a bloody waltz" in a British accent

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2015, 05:42:21 AM »
I've always felt that this song really highlighted Scott's vocals. Hearing them isolated on these takes made them much more profound. Plus, seeing the guys just shows that throughout all the bullshit, they were like brothers and miss him as much as we do.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Jukebox Casualty

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2015, 07:11:12 AM »
I've always felt that this song really highlighted Scott's vocals. Hearing them isolated on these takes made them much more profound. Plus, seeing the guys just shows that throughout all the bullshit, they were like brothers and miss him as much as we do.

Without a doubt. Those four guys conquered the world together. I can't imagine the ties binding individuals who've experienced such collective success. The easy answer is to say they are family, warts and all. I think it runs even deeper. Reflections of each other, four parts of an once unified whole.

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2015, 04:18:19 PM »
Anyone have the link to "Atlanta" (Scott and orchestration)? I want an MP3 of this version. I can convert if I have a correct link. BEAUTIFUL version!!
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:07:21 PM by DankoJones »

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2015, 05:32:36 PM »
That doesn't give the exact link to "Atlanta - Scott and orchestration" though. That just links the page.
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2015, 11:03:11 PM »
Anyone have the link to "Atlanta" (Scott and orchestration)? I want an MP3 of this version. I can convert if I have a correct link. BEAUTIFUL version!!

You can probably create your own customized version using the stems:  http://www.belowempty.com/forum/index.php?topic=6908.msg187093#msg187093

Toxic34

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2016, 08:26:43 PM »
I'd like MP3 versions of the Soundcloud files, both the band only version and the Scott and orchestra only version. Does anyone have MP3 versions of them?

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2016, 01:52:14 AM »
I just watched this again and I saw, listed as an engineer for the song, "M. Baskette". That jogged my memory for a second and it turns out it was Michael Baskette, aka the producer of all of Alter Bridge's records as well as the last Slash record, World on Fire.

Kind of interesting.
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2016, 07:03:21 AM »
I just watched this again and I saw, listed as an engineer for the song, "M. Baskette". That jogged my memory for a second and it turns out it was Michael Baskette, aka the producer of all of Alter Bridge's records as well as the last Slash record, World on Fire.

Kind of interesting.

He also produced a couple albums by the band Chevelle, including one of their most popular ones. Not a household name by any means, but he has worked with some high-profile artists and probably has some great stories he could tell....
Bleeda blooda