September 22, 2024, 09:35:05 PM

Author Topic: Books...Fall to Pieces & Not Dead & Not for Sale  (Read 5416 times)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Books...Fall to Pieces & Not Dead & Not for Sale
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 09:57:27 PM »
If they're used, I'd imagine it's whoever is selling them. I don't think an authorized book dealer/store can do that. But in the secondary market, I don't believe there is any threshold
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 10:22:21 PM »
Yeah, atleast on amazon, none of the available are actually from Amazon.  They are all either used or "new" but new as in the condition available from a random seller.

The listing for $13 listing that says out of stock but still lets you reserve a copy is sold through Amazon which is why the price is legitimate.

If people bought them all up online, then your best bet is to actually check out a couple local bookstores to see if they have available or have them order one for you, if they are able to get their hands on a copy.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Sinnamon Toast

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 10:33:58 PM »
Despite being such a long time fan, reviews kind of dissuaded me from buying Scott's book...and Mary's for that matter too.

The typical [damning] review I came across a few times was that there wasn't any more depth (in Scott's book) than you'd get from a batch of magazine articles strung together. 
I was wondering, for those of you who have it, what are your thoughts? Are these must-own books?

Mary's book is my very favorite memoir.  Truly.  I connected to her story & with regard to Scott, I feel that I learned so much more about him from Mary's book than I did from Scott's book. 
Are you good and lubed up?

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 12:46:44 AM »
Despite being such a long time fan, reviews kind of dissuaded me from buying Scott's book...and Mary's for that matter too.

The typical [damning] review I came across a few times was that there wasn't any more depth (in Scott's book) than you'd get from a batch of magazine articles strung together. 
I was wondering, for those of you who have it, what are your thoughts? Are these must-own books?

Mary's book is my very favorite memoir.  Truly.  I connected to her story & with regard to Scott, I feel that I learned so much more about him from Mary's book than I did from Scott's book. 

+1

Mary's book is longer and it gives a lot more in depth insights to Scott's life.
Seems like you left me when you broke down

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 02:38:51 AM »
Okay everyone you guys seem to think you learned a lot about Scott from Mary's book, but how much of it was truth? Scott said a lot of it wasn't the truth and that it was used to smear his name.

Also not to be mean, but after reading what she wrote after Scott's death. I believe she has some serious mental issues and cannot be trusted, she says she was "misdiagnosed as bipolar". Well if she's not bipolar then what's wrong with her? Obviously something's going on enough so that the doctor put her on bipolar meds. Plus she was a drug addict and a hardcore drug user as well and probably has lots of damage from that too. I believe she is just bitter and hurt by Scott leaving her and it causes her to talk shit like a child would. I do not think she has a rational mind at all. I take everything she says with a grain of salt.

Let's not forget she knew Scott was a drug addict when she met him and still got involved with him and then got mad at what the disease did to him and took it out on him. Yes he is responsible, it was his choice, but when you cure a disease, then it flares back up in 5, 10 years and takes a life or makes them sick or act shady. Well then you have to admit that that's pretty much what you signed up for before you even started dating him. To fall in love with somebody who has a serious disease and take it out on them when that disease comes back to bite you both in the ass is borderline retarded. Definitely delusional.

I believe she is just mad at herself for making the decision to start a family with him and is taking it out on Scott because she won't admit that she had a hand in what happened between them. I mean correct me if I'm wrong but she did plenty of hardcore drugs as well..

I mean did she actually think that she could change him? So she "gets clean" and he couldn't so she gets to talk shit now?
Anyone willing to take stabs as she did at somebody who has just passed away and cannot defend themselves or give their side of the story, has to be one of the lowest forms of creature on the planet.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:46:36 AM by DELEO »

Txloungefly

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 04:07:28 PM »
I really liked both books, but I never thought when I was reading her book that she was bashing him.  I'm sure she told stories he didn't really want people to know, but I didn't feel like she was trying to be hurtful by telling them.  It has been a few years, but while I was reading her book, I would go back to his book and compare the stories (or timelines) they were telling and they didn't seem to be all that different - just from a different perspective.  I am shocked that she has now said she was misdiagnosed, because she was very convincing with her descriptions of the disease - so much so that I started wondering if I was bipolar because I  thought so many times, I have felt like that. Good to know I am ok.  Not making light of it because I have had friends that are bipolar and I know it is really hard to live with and my heart goes out to those with it.  Anyway, back to topic, I remember a couple of years ago seeing her book clearanced at a big bookstore for like $4.  Wish I bought a few then and would share them!

haanderson

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 08:25:39 AM »
I borrowed both books from the public library and read each one within one day. My personal opinion, Mary's book was almost boring. There were many pages where I got so tired of reading all of her analyzations from doctors that I started skimming over entire paragraphs. If I didn't already think her Rolling Stone article was disrespectful to Scott, she really comes off as a nutcase in her book. Her book left me with the impression that she suffers from far more mental instability than Scott ever did. While I enjoyed Scott's book much more, the overall book seemed rather short in comparison to all of his history, but I definitely found it to be more engaging.

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 12:49:55 PM »
Okay everyone you guys seem to think you learned a lot about Scott from Mary's book, but how much of it was truth? Scott said a lot of it wasn't the truth and that it was used to smear his name.

Also not to be mean, but after reading what she wrote after Scott's death. I believe she has some serious mental issues and cannot be trusted, she says she was "misdiagnosed as bipolar". Well if she's not bipolar then what's wrong with her? Obviously something's going on enough so that the doctor put her on bipolar meds. Plus she was a drug addict and a hardcore drug user as well and probably has lots of damage from that too. I believe she is just bitter and hurt by Scott leaving her and it causes her to talk shit like a child would. I do not think she has a rational mind at all. I take everything she says with a grain of salt.

Let's not forget she knew Scott was a drug addict when she met him and still got involved with him and then got mad at what the disease did to him and took it out on him. Yes he is responsible, it was his choice, but when you cure a disease, then it flares back up in 5, 10 years and takes a life or makes them sick or act shady. Well then you have to admit that that's pretty much what you signed up for before you even started dating him. To fall in love with somebody who has a serious disease and take it out on them when that disease comes back to bite you both in the ass is borderline retarded. Definitely delusional.

I believe she is just mad at herself for making the decision to start a family with him and is taking it out on Scott because she won't admit that she had a hand in what happened between them. I mean correct me if I'm wrong but she did plenty of hardcore drugs as well..

I mean did she actually think that she could change him? So she "gets clean" and he couldn't so she gets to talk shit now?
Anyone willing to take stabs as she did at somebody who has just passed away and cannot defend themselves or give their side of the story, has to be one of the lowest forms of creature on the planet.

Have you read the book in the first place?

If the answer is yes, we shouldnt be having this argument. If the answer is no, then I will ask you: have you read Scott's book? he is very clear about Mary being the love of his life.

Also, when they met, none of them was a junkie.  Mary chose to be with Scott regardless of whatever he could be going through because she genuinely loved him. Hell, they did try to make it right a lot of times. She had to put up with a lot of stuff, but as a mother, I guess she came to a point where she had to make another choice. She managed to get clean, Scott didnt. And for the sake of their children, she decided to move on. Scott had a million chances to make it right but even if he tried, he failed every time. And the people around him also have the right to live their lives without being dragged by the drama of someone else's addiction.
Seems like you left me when you broke down

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 03:42:34 AM »
Not dead & not for sale is a half assed book. Totally comes across as a lazy effort.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 08:07:46 AM »
Not Dead and Not For Sale is something for the most hardcore fans. It feels like a series of sentences strung together without much continuity or something.

Sammy Hagar's "Red" is a truly must-have biography.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 12:19:28 AM »
I missed this topic from a few weeks ago...

I'm hoping to re read Scotts book again. I actually started it a week or two ago. However I grabbed Mary's book too and I've started it in the last day. The opening several pages are actually very intriguing and have drawn me into that time she's talking about.

For Scott's book I remember being thrown off by a lot of the things people say in this thread. I guess I had my expectations set really high or something. I was hoping to pick up a lot of info about stp and things like that. But I don't remember learning too much more than I was aware of before reading it. Bare in mind it's been a few years and I may have forgotten things from the book at this point.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:47:41 AM by seattlesound »