September 28, 2024, 06:31:58 PM

Author Topic: A letter from Mary.  (Read 33168 times)

Aylin

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Whadayawannano?
    • View Profile
Re: A letter from Mary.
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2015, 12:48:41 AM »
You know, one thing I noticed no one is talking about is the fact that in her essay, Mary said "Perhaps we shouldn't have let him go." In other words, she's now thinking maybe she should never have divorced Scott and simply just continued to support him. Regardless of the full extent of Scott's relationship with Mary, Noah and Lucy, we know that when the divorce happened, particularly so close to his ouster from VR, it just absolutely shattered him. True we got the confessional material of Happy In Galoshes and S/T, but I'm sure he would've traded anything to change that one thing. If you were in Mary's situation, what would you have done?

That's a very good point, and I too understood it in the same way - that she feels she should have stuck by him. I can understand why she didn't/couldn't but I agree with you, I think the divorce was the beginning of the end for him. However bad their relationship got, I always felt that Mary was the only truth he knew, and their love was his only reality. But then again, what do we know..
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Grab the hate and drown it out...

etcreative

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2015, 12:50:19 AM »
I'd be dealing with this family tragedy behind closed doors with a trained professional.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2015, 12:51:19 AM »
This invalidates much of what she said.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/scott-weiland-biographer-david-ritz-reflects-singers-conflicted-202433224.html

This was probably the last time Scott had his head on straight (late 2010/very beginning of 2011).  If only he'd stayed that way.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2015, 12:54:15 AM »
For those taking this so negatively, please read, and re-read, this passage carefully:

This is the final step in our long goodbye to Scott. Even though I felt we had no other choice, maybe we never should have let him go. Or maybe these last few years of separation were his parting gift to us – the only way he could think to soften what he knew would one day crush us deep into our souls. Over the last few years, I could hear his sadness and confusion when he'd call me late into the night, often crying about his inability to separate himself from negative people and bad choices. I won't say he can rest now, or that he's in a better place. He belongs with his children barbecuing in the backyard and waiting for a Notre Dame game to come on. We are angry and sad about this loss, but we are most devastated that he chose to give up.

Noah and Lucy never sought perfection from their dad. They just kept hoping for a little effort. If you're a parent not giving your best effort, all anyone asks is that you try just a little harder and don't give up. Progress, not perfection, is what your children are praying for. Our hope for Scott has died, but there is still hope for others. Let's choose to make this the first time we don't glorify this tragedy with talk of rock and roll and the demons that, by the way, don't have to come with it. Skip the depressing T-shirt with 1967-2015 on it – use the money to take a kid to a ballgame or out for ice cream.

I don't see pretty mudslinging, or an attempt to profit from a tragedy. I see someone who is heartbroken and justifiably angry that the father of her children gave up on his family and his life.

I agree. I've read and re-read it and I hear only a woman/wife/mother in great pain. It's all so very very sad but blame is not the answer. In any case, we weren't there. We have the luxury of being able to have enjoyed the highs without having to have lived with the lows and everything that must have gone with them.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2015, 12:55:36 AM »
This invalidates much of what she said.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/scott-weiland-biographer-david-ritz-reflects-singers-conflicted-202433224.html

Mary's letter is about the period after he married Jaime, so late 2012-forward. David Ritz worked with Scott up until 2011, well before he married Jaime.

So this doesn't invalidate anything.

etcreative

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2015, 01:05:31 AM »
Why feel the need to bring up he's an atheist?

Why feel the need to reiterate he needed a teleprompter to remember his words?
Why share exclusive private information about CPS?
Why share that he at one time was only allowed supervised visitation?
Why feel the need to encourage people to not buy his T-Shirts?

If he were alive she could be sued for libel or slander.....

Smells very political

If she wanted to sincerely express her pain, regret, and concern for her well being of her children she could have done that a totally different way.

Fact is The New York Times wouldn't have paid her a dime to publish that.  Their social media may re-share it or retweet it but any reputable ethical news organization leave that kind of trash for rollingstone magazine....

I get it this is a horrible mess.  But this could have been handled in a more adult and responsible way....

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2015, 01:08:28 AM »
It doesn't invalidate it. Mary is closer, but also angrier. I would imagine there is truth in both pieces.

I have said that I think Scott only had two long stretches of sobriety--after jail touring No. 4, and the Contraband era.

The era this guy is talking about, roughly 2010, I think shows that he was on something or another to varying degrees. Take the painful English Laundry interview where he can't string two words together https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgvYqkTRR7o which was in the same year as this interview, where he slightly slurs but is much more with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUacFQ692hs

But on Stern promoting the book, he seemed pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWWRqjzX7YE That interview was four years ago. And he said he wanted to give up drinking, though I wonder if that was water in the bottle.

But then the Christmas album came out and he was audibly drunk on many of those tracks.

Even last year he sounded good, just looked like shit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CSc2Gepmwk But then we all saw the interviews where he sounded really bad.

It just caught up with him. Mary saw a lot of it. This writer saw some of it.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2015, 01:10:03 AM »
I'm not going to loose my objectivity about it.  I refuse to get pulled into Mary's family drama in the wake of Scotts passing.  The intention of her letter was really to tarnish the man.  Btw, he made her a multimillionaire.  She's trying to come off profound but it really sounds like borderline rage. I think one day she will look back at it and regret she drug her kids through the mud by allowing rollingstone to publish that.  Another example of unhealthy exhibitionism and shamelessness.....who puts their kids out there like that?

I dunno. I think Mary's point is pretty simple, actually. She's saying that "hey thanks for the well wishes to me and my kids - but no need - because we've been grieving Scott's death for a long time now. Instead of being all sad about some guy you glorified even though you didn't know him and he was a bad person, go be a better father than he was".

It comes off bitter, petty and probably true. Is it disrespectful to Scott's memory? Yes. Was she better off taking the high road? Probably. I don't think her "letter" is inspiring too many people to "be better fathers". But it's definitely honest. Something to be said for keeping it real.

So my guess? She took this opportunity to set up a book deal. And she'll get to use those funds to take care of Noah and Lucy... Scott's legacy. Can't really blame her for that, right? I don't know how she brings in money these days but with Scott gone the family will need income. They deserve to be cared for, especially considering what they and Scott had to endure.

Is Mary disabled or something? She can't work like everyone else?

She's lived the 'rock n roll lifestyle' and rode the coattails of Scott's success for years and still uses his surname even though she hates him... There's no way this woman is going to go back to working 9-5.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2015, 01:13:28 AM »
I'm not going to loose my objectivity about it.  I refuse to get pulled into Mary's family drama in the wake of Scotts passing.  The intention of her letter was really to tarnish the man.  Btw, he made her a multimillionaire.  She's trying to come off profound but it really sounds like borderline rage. I think one day she will look back at it and regret she drug her kids through the mud by allowing rollingstone to publish that.  Another example of unhealthy exhibitionism and shamelessness.....who puts their kids out there like that?

I dunno. I think Mary's point is pretty simple, actually. She's saying that "hey thanks for the well wishes to me and my kids - but no need - because we've been grieving Scott's death for a long time now. Instead of being all sad about some guy you glorified even though you didn't know him and he was a bad person, go be a better father than he was".

It comes off bitter, petty and probably true. Is it disrespectful to Scott's memory? Yes. Was she better off taking the high road? Probably. I don't think her "letter" is inspiring too many people to "be better fathers". But it's definitely honest. Something to be said for keeping it real.

So my guess? She took this opportunity to set up a book deal. And she'll get to use those funds to take care of Noah and Lucy... Scott's legacy. Can't really blame her for that, right? I don't know how she brings in money these days but with Scott gone the family will need income. They deserve to be cared for, especially considering what they and Scott had to endure.

She's lived the 'rock n roll lifestyle' and rode the coattails of Scott's success for years and still uses his surname even though she hates him... There's no way this woman is going to go back to working 9-5.

You mean including when she was a model and he was her driver?

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2015, 01:32:28 AM »

Huh? I think its safe to say Scott's career completely overshadowed hers very quickly after they met. I'm not sure how successful of a model Mary ever was to be honest but I'm certain her career didn't have the same amount of longevity, success or financial income as Scott's and rightly so considering Scott's required talent and hers relied basically on 'looking good', you can't rely on that forever and I imagine as her career dwindled she relied more heavily on Scott to bring the $$ in. It's all in Scott's autobiography (the only defense he has right now) she sounds money mad and I think she saw Scott as her meal ticket, you just know this is all leading to her releasing another book...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:38:19 AM by CagedTiger »

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 09, 2015, 01:41:36 AM »

Huh? I think its safe to say Scott's career completely overshadowed hers very quickly after they met. I'm not sure how successful of a model Mary ever was to be honest but I'm certain her career didn't have the same amount of longevity, success or financial income as Scott's and rightly so considering Scott's required talent and hers relied basically on 'looking good', you can't rely on that forever and I imagine as her career dwindled she relied more heavily on Scott to bring the $$ in. It's all I'm Scott's autobiography (the only defense he has right now) she sounds money mad!

Fine. Whatever. Your use of the words "this woman" were enough. If that's your level of respect for a grieving (ex) wife and mother, carry on regardless. I wasn't sure about the timing of Mary's letter but it was clearly 100% necessary.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2015, 01:54:43 AM »

Huh? I think its safe to say Scott's career completely overshadowed hers very quickly after they met. I'm not sure how successful of a model Mary ever was to be honest but I'm certain her career didn't have the same amount of longevity, success or financial income as Scott's and rightly so considering Scott's required talent and hers relied basically on 'looking good', you can't rely on that forever and I imagine as her career dwindled she relied more heavily on Scott to bring the $$ in. It's all I'm Scott's autobiography (the only defense he has right now) she sounds money mad!

Fine. Whatever. Your use of the words "this woman" were enough. If that's your level of respect for a grieving (ex) wife and mother, carry on regardless. I wasn't sure about the timing of Mary's letter but it was clearly 100% necessary.

MY level of respect?! I think the fact that she's released this slanderous letter to Rolling Stone (of all places) only 4 days after Scott's death is complete DISRESPECT and is just wrong on so many levels (all previously discussed in this thread). I have nothing but sympathy for Noah & Lucy but Mary's letter has angered me and I think she could've handled things with more taste and class.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2015, 01:57:59 AM »

MY level of respect?! I think the fact that she's released this slanderous letter to Rolling Stone (of all places) only 4 days after Scott's death is complete DISRESPECT and is just wrong on so many levels (all previously discussed in this thread). I have nothing but sympathy for Noah & Lucy but Mary's letter has angered me and I think she could've handled things with more taste and class.

For it to be slander, it has to be untrue.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2015, 02:04:06 AM »

For it to be slander, it has to be untrue.

Well it could be but we'll probably never know, since you know, Scott's dead and she's just chose to say all this now.
Regardless wether it is true or not, was this the right time for it? Was this the right outlet for it?? Were all these details nescessary?? If you guys think so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.