October 01, 2024, 05:14:39 AM

Author Topic: The Future Of STP?  (Read 13199 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Future Of STP?
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2015, 07:48:48 PM »
I don't think Scallions has the high-range required for the job. He can clearly sing stuff off Core and Purple, but I think when you get into the later albums he won't be able to sing much material.

I know I'm gonna get rotten tomatoes thrown at me, but Chester was pretty much the guy for the job if they were going to keep going. He's the only note-worthy singer I can think of who has the range to sing 95% of STP's catalog, who loves the band's music and fans, who has significant stage presence and charisma, and who gets along great with the rest of the band.

When Chester left, it was going to be hard to find someone else who could adequately fill those requirements. With Scott's death, it will be near impossible. Chester had the benefit of taking the job when the comparison was with Weiland at his worst (and even then, people trashed him just because he wasn't named Scott Weiland)... Now whoever takes the job is going against Scott's entire legacy. That's a daunting pair of shoes to step into.

So I say they should just shelve STP for a while. Put the new music toward and AoA album or a super group (a group with Scallions would be interesting). In a couple years start releasing material from the vault, and maybe do a few tribute/anniversary shows along side the releases with a revolving door of singers, billed as "Stone Temple Pilots & Friends."
Grab the hate and drown it out...

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2015, 09:26:04 PM »
If the STP name goes anywhere from here, I would imagine something similar to how Alice in chains was in 2006, with various guest singers. I could see the guys possible doing a few one off type shows that way. I think the Chester option is still on the table to an extent... However, it would be chesters move to make I feel like, since he moved aside from stp by choosing to do so.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2015, 09:51:44 PM »
I've said it before, I'll say it again (and I quote Dean DeLeo from a 1996 Hit Parader article; http://imgur.com/VXKSDnP): "Scott is the voice of STP. There really couldn't be anyone else."

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2015, 10:41:04 PM »
Agreed. I'm going to miss hearing those songs live but that's it. They gave it a go with Chester, but that too has come to an end. Don't get me wrong, I sure do hope they (Deleos/Kretz) continue to make music together but just do something else.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2015, 11:26:29 PM »
I've said it before, I'll say it again (and I quote Dean DeLeo from a 1996 Hit Parader article; http://imgur.com/VXKSDnP): "Scott is the voice of STP. There really couldn't be anyone else."

Proven time and time again.

Seems like back then it was the artist Dean talking... and 2008+ Dean is only about the money.  As a fan since 1993, it's getting harder not to resent the choices made by the band lately. I still love their music & style, and would like to see them continue making NEW music together; but they need to stop living in the past, and running the STP brand/name/legacy into the fucking ground just to squeeze every last cent out of it.

The DeLeos/Eric are amazing together and every vocalist they play with is elevated to another level. Unfortunately for them, amazing vocalists/fontmen only come along a few times per generation. Their musical ability was matched perfectly by Scott's vocal ability and song writing. Without Scott, they've basically handicapped themselves with inferior singer/songwriters, and unless they try something NEW or drastically different, then they'll play out the rest of their careers in the shadow of what STP was (which they seem fine doing if it earns them the most money).  It's a shame really.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2015, 01:25:50 AM »
Bracing myself for the hate but...
I genuinely don't think the Deleo's have really released any interesting music since 2006's 'Army of Anyone'. There may be one or two exceptions but generally I felt like S/T and High Rise were rather generic and showed the Deleo's in 'play it safe mode'.

I'm not trying to take away from their obvious talent, those guys have written some of my favourite songs of all time but I'd like to see them get a little more creative/experiment on the next record they put out... Again, just my opinion.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2015, 02:48:09 AM »
Bracing myself for the hate but...
I genuinely don't think the Deleo's have really released any interesting music since 2006's 'Army of Anyone'. There may be one or two exceptions but generally I felt like S/T and High Rise were rather generic and showed the Deleo's in 'play it safe mode'.

I'm not trying to take away from their obvious talent, those guys have written some of my favourite songs of all time but I'd like to see them get a little more creative/experiment on the next record they put out... Again, just my opinion.

I think S/T they played it way too safe, but there were some legitimately interesting instrumental moments in High Rise... It's really unfortunate that wasn't a full album.

But if we're honest, everyone played it safe after the reunion. S/T and High Rise weren't as dynamic as AoA, Talk Show, or the original five STP records... But with Scott, he pretty much mailed in S/T and Art of Anarchy, and Blaster was fairly derivative of classic rock. Not to say his work on those albums is bad, just that he wasn't reinventing the wheel anymore like he did on pretty much every album he worked on beforehand.

The best STP related album to come out after the reunion was 'Happy', and most of that music was actually from the SLDD-Velvet Revolver eras.

This is sort of why I want to see the DeLeo's take the outtakes from the 99-02 sessions and release it as a 'lost album' of sorts. Whatever material didn't make it onto an album from those sessions is bound to be better than what was released on S/T, and probably whatever will be released coming forward, unless the DeLeo's dig deep and do something on the level of AoA again.

If they release that material as a Coda album, then come what may with the STP name and legacy, at least the original line-up will have a more fitting farewell than S/T.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2015, 04:54:33 PM »
This is sort of why I want to see the DeLeo's take the outtakes from the 99-02 sessions and release it as a 'lost album' of sorts. Whatever material didn't make it onto an album from those sessions is bound to be better than what was released on S/T, and probably whatever will be released coming forward, unless the DeLeo's dig deep and do something on the level of AoA again.

If they release that material as a Coda album, then come what may with the STP name and legacy, at least the original line-up will have a more fitting farewell than S/T.

One can only hope that a Coda album emerges in the future. I think we've all wanted b-sides, outtakes, and rareties forever... and unfortunately they seem more likely to come out now under the circumstances.

The SLDD & No.4 outtakes were amazing, and like you said, this would be a more fitting farewell than S/T (and I liked S/T!).  We'd be able to hear songs from a time when everything was good, and these songs would be like a musical behind the scenes piece of STP history. If done well, it could be a nice "bookend" to STP's legacy.

I certainly know the DeLeos would love the extra money from a Coda album.  The only problem I can foresee is that if the DeLeos still want to drag on the STP brand with random singers, then they might not want to release old/unreleased material that would make any new efforts as "STP" look as bad as they are.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:56:08 PM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2015, 05:05:16 PM »
One can only hope that a Coda album emerges in the future. I think we've all wanted b-sides, outtakes, and rareties forever... and unfortunately they seem more likely to come out now under the circumstances.

I kinda feel like if there was enough to fill up a whole record that we would have gotten at least something with "Thank You". I hope I'm wrong but I'm not so sure there's much stuff laying around, at least studio recordings. Though you can package all the compilation things (Doors, Zep, Beatles...) and any other odds and ends.

Unless they treat each album with a remaster/reissue w/ bonus material.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2015, 05:07:32 PM »
That. It's far more likely they are going to re-release each album with a small amount of extra material, than package it all together for one new album.

I can already hear Atlantic rubbing their hands together.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2015, 05:14:40 PM »
I think STP stuff might be easier to handle over Scott's solo work. He had a lot of different contributions which probably fell under the umbrella of different record labels, which may be sticky when it comes to compiling it all.

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2015, 05:57:50 PM »
I think it would be cool if the guys took Scotts vocals from already recorded songs, and created a song around them as a tribute. I don't think anyone has ever done something like that.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »
I think it would be cool if the guys took Scotts vocals from already recorded songs, and created a song around them as a tribute. I don't think anyone has ever done something like that.

I'm not so sure that Scott was very tech savvy, where he'd demo his songs on his own, leaving behind rough tracks that can be built around ala "Free as a Bird" (The Beatles), for example. Too bad. :(

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »

Made in Heaven, by Queen.

Before Freddie died he went into the studio and did as much work as he could. He literally worked until he was not capable of working any longer, and his voice got richer the closer to death he became. Anyway, they had about enough for 2/3 of an album, so they went and took some of Freddie's tracks off his solo albums, and rerecorded the music as Queen songs.

The difference there though, was that they had an explicit mandate from Freddie to do that and to create this final album. No such thing exists from Scott, and I very much doubt he would have wanted the rest of STP to hack up any of his solo creations and use it as STP songs.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2015, 10:24:57 PM »

I kinda feel like if there was enough to fill up a whole record that we would have gotten at least something with "Thank You". I hope I'm wrong but I'm not so sure there's much stuff laying around, at least studio recordings. Though you can package all the compilation things (Doors, Zep, Beatles...) and any other odds and ends.

Unless they treat each album with a remaster/reissue w/ bonus material.

It's very likely they have a whole disc of material. SLDD was recorded with the intention of a double album, plus two or three extra tracks recorded in the same session as All in the Suit, and at least one song off No. 4 that's never been released or leaked.

I think we didn't see more than All in the Suit in Thank You because the band was breaking up at the time, and a whole lot of new material being released as they broke up would have been contradictory. I also recall the DeLeo's talking a lot back in the day about maintaining 'mystique' by keeping stuff in the vault. Hopefully they'll reconsider that position after the events of the last few years.

As far as reissues, I just don't imagine Atlantic is interested in reissuing more than Core and Purple, or even just more than Core possibly. Tiny Music-SLDD material just doesn't get played on the radio that often... I don't imagine they'd get many returns on a reissue for those albums as they only appeal to more die hard STP fans, where as Core and Purple have much more mass appeal.

At least with a collection of Outtakes, the DeLeos would be able to release it independently. I'm not saying we're likely to see them do that, but I think we're more likely to see that then a reissue of SLDD.