October 01, 2024, 08:28:15 AM

Author Topic: The Future Of STP?  (Read 13235 times)

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Future Of STP?
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2015, 10:33:23 PM »
       The way I see it, I think realistically with all the new material they have before Chester left they will look for a new lead singer ànd start with a new band.  As someone else mentioned they will probably look for a seasoned veteran singer but  with a famous name compared to some young brand new guy.  Maybe then they will be thought of as a supergroup themselves. Just maybe they might even have enough material to record an entire new album. That's my thinking.

8)

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2015, 06:38:39 PM »
Come to think of it.  Weren't there a handful of cover songs the band had supposedly recorded that never saw the light of day?  I thought I remember something about a KISS cover and a Queen cover.

I could easily be mistaken.  My mind is mush at this  point.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2015, 06:43:26 PM »
Come to think of it.  Weren't there a handful of cover songs the band had supposedly recorded that never saw the light of day?  I thought I remember something about a KISS cover and a Queen cover.

I don't know about Queen, but they were supposed to be on the KISS My Ass tribute album. I believe "Watching You" is what they recorded.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2015, 03:15:04 AM »
What do you all think of Brett Scallions fronting the band? He's a big STP/Scott Weiland fan.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2015, 04:04:07 AM »
I think they can get away w/ a situation like Chains, seeing as STP is now lost w/out a Lead Singer due to death.  It seems they can go either way, but I would like to see them move forward rather than form some Supergroup.  Its time for new music from all bands.  I'm sick of this Gangsta Rap crap.

8) :-* :'(
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2015, 04:21:51 AM »
Army of Anyone but with Kretz on drums is what I'd like to see, I think Richard would be down for that in the future, maybe not next year though as he'll be releasing and promoting the new Filter record then...

I really hope they retire the STP name now though.

I agree with this. I remember Ray Luzier saying he would like to do another AoA record, but given his commitment to Korn, it seems he would likely be okay with Eric taking over on drums for AoA. (Plus, as incredible as Ray is, I think Eric's style is a better fit for the Deleos' songwriting.)

I think this would be the most tasteful move going forward. Put STP to rest for good and let its legacy shine on from everything they did, like Rik says, from 1992-2012.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2015, 04:27:00 AM »
What do you all think of Brett Scallions fronting the band? He's a big STP/Scott Weiland fan.

Again, I'm in the camp that says they should retire STP (and go back to AoA or a new group).

But if they do choose to continue as STP, I think Brett Scallions would be their best choice.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2015, 04:33:20 AM »

Again, I'm in the camp that says they should retire STP (and go back to AoA or a new group).

But if they do choose to continue as STP, I think Brett Scallions would be their best choice.

Totally agree with not calling it STP. It just won't work without Scott. Plus, with it being a new band it allows people to not judge it against the Scott lead STP necessarily. Brett's fronting Fuel again though.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2015, 09:24:08 AM »

I don't know about Queen, but they were supposed to be on the KISS My Ass tribute album. I believe "Watching You" is what they recorded.

It's the first I have heard of a Queen cover, but if that were true it would be epic, and I would love to hear it.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »

They supposedly recorded:
- Kiss' 'Watchin' You' in 1993 for the Kiss My Ass tribute album.
- Queen's 'Sheer Heart Attack' in 2000 for an upcoming Adam Sandler movie
- Cat Stevens' 'Where Do The Children Play' also in 2000 for another soundtrack.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2015, 11:52:58 AM »
Sheer Heart Attack? No Way! My second favourite singer singing one of my favourite songs by my favourite singer.

I have to hear this.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2015, 02:15:45 PM »

At this point I also think STP should be done forever, but I can say that I happened to catch Fuel a few years ago totally unexpectedly (they were playing a local festival in Dayton) and Brett Scallions was surprisingly pretty great, if not a little immature.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »

It's the first I have heard of a Queen cover, but if that were true it would be epic, and I would love to hear it.
There was a second Queen cover of 'Tie Your Mother Down' that never saw the light of day from the Contraband era too.  THats the one I'd really love to hear.  One of my absolute favorite Queen songs.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2015, 05:35:13 PM »
Oh, a VR cover? Sounds interesting.

Not at all surprising mind, when I went to see VR in London on the Contraband tour, Jimmy Page was propping up the bar with Brian May no less, who apparently was a big fan. So we were in a room with Weiland, Slash, Duff, Brian May AND Jimmy Page. Now that is rock fuckin' royalty!

The one thing I've never heard though, is Brian May talking about Scott or STP. I'd love to hear his thoughts on Dean as a player.

Kingpetty

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2015, 07:29:08 PM »

I like this possibility also. Brett's acoustic tour this year was heavily influenced with STP music. Even though he still fronts Fuel, I'm not sure how busy their schedule is. He is also the only original member left. I would think he'd very heavily consider this.... If asked.
Don't chase buses or women, you always get left behind.