October 01, 2024, 08:25:25 AM

Author Topic: The Future Of STP?  (Read 13232 times)

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: The Future Of STP?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2015, 11:44:09 AM »
I enjoyed the shows that I saw with Chester, and I liked the High Rise EP. The Chester-led lineup showed potential  and had chemistry. That said, I think  at this point, with Chester out and Scott dead, they should retire the name. It would be like Skid Row, a band past its prime with a singer that no one gives a shit about.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »
Personally, of that long list I'd like releases of all live shows mentioned but nothing after Houdini Mansion.  The more 99-02 footage the better.  There was really no better band in the world at that time. The performances were just over the top good.  I've also heard conflicting stories about how much unreleased stuff is out there.  If I were a betting man, I'd bet there is more.  Someone mentioned No.4 was supposed to be a double album.  I didn't know this.  I DO recall however, reading an interview in my late teens (somewhere late 2000/early 2001) stating that SLDD was going to be a double album and that they had a ton of songs recorded.  As far as a scrapped 2002 album goes, that would have been very interesting to hear especially with "All In The Suit That You Wear" as an indicator of their sound at the time.  They were still at their peak.

I think they could possibly sell a massive box set collection.  I know that I would pay good money for it.  The question is would there be enough others in society who would do the same to make it financially worth it for them to package it.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 04:46:14 PM by NickLorenza »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2015, 05:14:04 PM »
Well, it's not STP, but i'd like to see 12 Bar Blues finally get the recognition it deserves. A remastered, vinyl edition of that would be awesome.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2015, 05:15:53 PM »
They should be like Led Zeppelin and retire the band and follow that type of legacy.  I do consider STP as my Led Zeppelin replacement.  I remember when Bonham passed away.  I was sad but I was still young so I only thought, "Who am I gonna listen to now" My sister at the time had the Van Halen Album so this would be the time when I first wanted to play guitar.  After hearing Page then Eddie, I felt it then Stevie Nicks came along then that was it...

I remember when I first heard STP I was in a bar.  The DJ wanted us to hear this song.  "Sex Type Thing" played over the speakers of this bar & it totally ripped.  I immediately wanted to know who they were.  I haven't heard anything as cool as that since GnR, even tho Nirvana, and Pearl Jam, Chains, the whole gang was there.  It was this band that I followed religiously. 

I have a friend who was/is so super obsessed w/ Scott that I went to his house one day & he was in the bathroom.  He shaved his head, there was a jar of Manic Panic & he was messing w/ his beard.  I was like, "Dude, are you trying to look like the Wicked Garden Guy"  the best was when he would go, "Hey, watch me" & he would try to imitate him.  I just wanted to say that to show you the impact this Guy had and I hope wherever my friend is, he is ok cuz he fkn loved Scott also.

8) :-* :'(
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

coo2

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2015, 05:57:13 PM »
I truly believe that the Deleo's and Kretz should find another singer, and hole themselves in a studio with an incredible producer for a good while-- reemerge as a new entity that can carry on strongly. Those guys are way too talented to just sit back.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2015, 06:29:08 PM »
If this had happened before they parted ways with Scott and went through the battle to make sure the legacy was theirs to move forward with, I think there's a chance they would have retired the name and moved on as another entity.

But I have a feeling they will move forward with STP.  I would hope they take some time before  doing so.  And I imagine they will since they have to replace Chester anyway.

It would be nice if they did a concert to honor Scott.  Doesn't have to be huge.  But something where they open the door for artists  he's performed with to get together and jam out.

I'm emotional so who knows what I'll think about these thoughts tomorrow.  But  I almost feel  like I'd be more supportive of them moving forward with a new singer now, than I was with Chester.  HOWEVER, if they were  to do so, they better make and support  new music.  If they're just going to keep presenting 99% of the Scott catalogue at shows, then they should just let it go.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2015, 06:54:23 PM »
It would be nice if they did a concert to honor Scott.  Doesn't have to be huge.  But something where they open the door for artists  he's performed with to get together and jam out.

Something like when VR reunited for Dave's friend would be nice, STP and maybe even VR doing a fundraiser with a few different singers, Chester, Aaron Lewis, Corey Taylor, maybe get Joe Perry and Steven Tyler up there if they can. All the proceeds go to Scott's kids and wife.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 07:13:17 PM »
On the topic legacy, it's been nice to see so many warm thoughts and memories.
Between the early days of being critically panned, the sour taste of constant negative headlines and these last few years of his fall from grace and the messy legal breakup, I thought that they'd lose some of their luster. I'm glad it isn't so.

With that said, more often than not, it's Purple and Core that is mentioned. Maybe in time (I hope) people will include the later works in their high praise and not just those first two records.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2015, 07:17:41 PM »
On the topic legacy, it's been nice to see so many warm thoughts and memories.
Between the early days of being critically panned, the sour taste of constant negative headlines and these last few years of his fall from grace and the messy legal breakup, I thought that they'd lose some of their luster. I'm glad it isn't so.

With that said, more often than not, it's Purple and Core that is mentioned. Maybe in time (I hope) people will include the later works in their high praise and not just those first two records.

Tiny Music has gotten a lot more of the respect it deserves lately. I think in time it will possibly remembered as STP's true masterpiece.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 07:26:08 PM by Blue »

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2015, 07:20:11 PM »
I hope SLDD begins to receive the accolades it deserves. 
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2015, 07:26:46 PM »

As far as legacy, STP is in a unique position. Before, they were trying to separate themselves from Scott to limit the damage to the band's legacy during the reunion. But now, they're in a unique position to repair the damage Scott did to his own legacy. They are sitting on a gold mine of Weiland's best performances, and even recordings he did at his peak.

That's why I think they need to drop the STP name, or at the very least bring back "Featuring" when they find a new singer. But all things considered, I'd rather anything released under the STP name to be a representation of Scott at his peak.

I don't know what any legal issue there would be with Weiland's estate or with Atlantic, but I'd like to see STP do the following:

1. Reissues of the classic 5 albums.
2. Release the very best of STP classic live footage. At the very least, a release the Vegas HOB show.
3. One final 'Thank You' album, composed entirely of outtakes and b-sides from the 99-02 sessions, produced by Brendan O'Brien.
4. Only two more STP shows, ever. One fundraiser for Scott's relatives, the other when and if they get into the R&R Hall of Fame.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 07:29:15 PM by Blue »

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2015, 07:31:59 PM »
I feel that if they move forward with a new singer, it puts a hold on any Scott-related vault reissues.
For example, hypothetically if they had a new singer by 2017, their focus would be THAT and not a 25th anniversary of Core, for example. For that reason, I definitely would rather them, as mentioned above, leave the name be and repair any damage to the legacy.

As for Scott's estate, there have been so many different soundtracks and projects he contributed to. It'd be nice to make a solo anthology of sorts, with maybe unreleased goodies there too.

Toxic34

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2015, 07:41:34 PM »

As far as legacy, STP is in a unique position. Before, they were trying to separate themselves from Scott to limit the damage to the band's legacy during the reunion. But now, they're in a unique position to repair the damage Scott did to his own legacy. They are sitting on a gold mine of Weiland's best performances, and even recordings he did at his peak.

That's why I think they need to drop the STP name, or at the very least bring back "Featuring" when they find a new singer. But all things considered, I'd rather anything released under the STP name to be a representation of Scott at his peak.

I don't know what any legal issue there would be with Weiland's estate or with Atlantic, but I'd like to see STP do the following:

1. Reissues of the classic 5 albums.
2. Release the very best of STP classic live footage. At the very least, a release the Vegas HOB show.
3. One final 'Thank You' album, composed entirely of outtakes and b-sides from the 99-02 sessions, produced by Brendan O'Brien.
4. Only two more STP shows, ever. One fundraiser for Scott's relatives, the other when and if they get into the R&R Hall of Fame.

Let's flood the STP Facebook, and the contact pages (especially Facebook and Twitter) of Atlantic and Eagle Rock to tell them that that is what we want to remember Scott by... after a respectful mourning period, of course.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2015, 07:49:47 PM »
It just occurred to me, but we're probably never going to see Only Dying under these circumstances. They dropped that song (or at least that song title) from The Crow soundtrack because of Brandon Lee's death, I don't imagine they'll release it after Scott's. At least not in tribute to him.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »
It just occurred to me, but we're probably never going to see Only Dying under these circumstances. They dropped that song (or at least that song title) from The Crow soundtrack because of Brandon Lee's death, I don't imagine they'll release it after Scott's. At least not in tribute to him.

I hate to think that but you're probably right.