October 01, 2024, 08:10:49 AM

Author Topic: The Future Of STP?  (Read 13221 times)

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Future Of STP?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 11:37:44 AM »
I see lots of remastered STP albums being released.  A 25th anniversary Core remaster is almost certain now in my opinion.  And unlike Layne, Scott seemed to record a lot of songs solo that never got released.  I'm sure one day the archives will be opened.  There's also the fact that No. 4 and SLDD were slated to be double albums so there's probably a lot of unreleased stuff from those sessions we haven't heard get.  Plus the album that they started recording in 2002.  Also, didn't VR record 50 songs for Contraband?  Or maybe they just wrote 50 songs.. can't remember.  I assume that any remasterings done of STP albums through Atlantic a portion of the money will go to Scott's estate since he was a member of the band at the time.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 11:48:36 AM »
Scott claimed that there wasn't a lot of unreleased stuff recently, but who knows how reliable he really was.  Just be the sheer volume of tracks on Happy and all of the dicking around in the studio he did with Doug, there's got to be some stuff there.  There's other projects too like the Wondergirls.

There must be at least a few STP demos from the self-titled sessions, weren't there talks of 18 songs being written for that album, and Eric saying they might use the leftovers for the followup (which never happened)?  They might be rough quality, but that'd be something.

Also according to Below Empty, there was a track called "The Way She Moves" (different from Scott' solo track) recorded during the No. 4 sessions.  Then you've got the Mighty Joe Young demos which most casual fans have never heard.  You polish up that "Only Dying" demo a bit and that would sell a Core 25th anniversary reissue with the Mighty Joe Young demos as the bonus tracks, along with live recordings.  I'm also guessing there are Mighty Joe Young/Swing demos we haven't heard, including alternate versions of songs.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Toxic34

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 09:10:08 PM »
Stimulator, Brett, what would you say Dean, Robert, Eric and Atlantic are likely to do with Scott and STP's legacy after a respectful mourning period? Which of the following ideas below are most likely to happen?

-Remasters of STP's entire Atlantic catalog with possible deluxe editions (demos, outtakes, remixes, live cuts?)
-Remix of S/T by Brendan O'Brien to make it similar to how he would've produced it, similar the remix of Rush's Vapor Trails album?
-Release of No. 4/SLDD outtakes (Official releases of Heed The Water Whisperer, You Can't Drive Me Away, and so on), release of STP song The Way She Moves?
-Official release of Only Dying in more polished form?
-Release of material from aborted 2002 album?
-Release of Shangri-La Dee Da documentary and coffee table book?
-Release of authorized biography/oral history/autobio of the band by Dean, Robert and Eric?
-Release of live shows on CD/MP3/DVD/Blu-ray, especially the following:
 -3/5/93 MTV Spring Break Rocks
 -8/3 and 8/4/93-Roseland Ballroom
 -8/27/93 Reading Festival
 -8/29/93 Lowlands Festival
 -11/17/93 MTV Unplugged (which was the day before Nirvana's more famous performance for this)
 -8/22/94 Worcester Centrum
 -11/25/96 Madison Square Garden
 -3/14/97 MTV Spring Break Rocks
 -8/12/99 House Of Blues Vegas
 -3/8/00 VH1 Storytellers
 -3/15/00 House Of Blues Sunset Strip
 -5/27/00 WCBN River Rave
 -5/28/00 HFStival
 -7/29/00 Boston
 -8/20/00 MusiquePlus
 -10/28/00 Voodoo Experience
 -Shangri-La Dee Da Documentary
 -7/10/01 MuchMusic
 -8/4/01 Rolling Rock Town Fair
 -8/16/01 Padres de Coura Festival
 -8/18/01 Bizarre Festival
 -11/19 and 11/20/01 The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel Las Vegas
 -4/7/08 Houdini Mansion
 -5/1/08 Jimmy Kimmel Live
 -10/15/08 Estadio Pepsi Music Club Ciudad
 -10/10/09 Reading Eagle Theatre at Sovereign Center
 -3/27/10 Riviera Theatre (CD/MP3 set only, as DVD and Blu-ray of this show (Alive In The Windy City) already exists)
 -5/18/10 Gramercy Theater
 -6/13/10 Download Festival
 -11/13/11 Maquinaria Festival
 -11/14/11 SWU Festival

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 09:25:43 PM »
If they do release anything, they need to be selective. Maquerina, SWU, Gramercy,  those were definitely not Scott at his best.

I'd say if they go through the archives, they need to stick to:

Reading '93
Unplugged
Worcester '94
LV HOB '99
Rolling Rock '01
Virgin Wireless '08
Download '10

Other than that, reissues of the original five albums with bonus track are a possibility, but I wouldn't expect any massive collections of everything they've ever recorded. Just one or two cut tracks or b-sides, something like the deluxe edition of S/T.

But again, what would have been Scott's portion of the proceeds need to go to his kids, and they'd need to wait at least a year so that they aren't profiting off his death.

Grab the hate and drown it out...

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 09:45:35 PM »
I'd love to see the Houdini set released as part of a package.  The footage that came out online at the time was great.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 09:55:57 PM »
All they need to do is release the entire rolling rock concert if it exists. Perhaps they played better shows than that, but who knows if they were recorded or not. Anything from 2001-2002 would be cool. I wouldn't release anything from the reunion.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 10:07:44 PM »
Agree about the reunion but I never much cared for Rolling Rock. There might also be copyright issues with some stuff? I'd go with:

Core + Only Dying/Scary Area/Dutch radio tracks
Purple + Worcester
TM + MSG
No4 + HoB 2000 (the absolute peak imho)
SLDD + Documentary + Unreleased tracks

I just hope, if and when it happens, they do it right. Suddenly, all these people are popping up genuinely praising Scott's gifts. I don't know where they've been all these years but the legacy has to be defined properly now. It's all we have.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 10:18:12 PM »
All they need to do is release the entire rolling rock concert if it exists. Perhaps they played better shows than that, but who knows if they were recorded or not. Anything from 2001-2002 would be cool. I wouldn't release anything from the reunion.

I think the consensus within the band was that the 99 House of Blues show was probably the best show they ever played, and full footage of that definitely exists in their archive, probably along with full audio mixed by Brendan O'Brien. No idea why it hasn't been released.

As far as Rolling Rock, Long Way Home is on the Thank You DVD even though it wasn't broadcast on the Pay Per View release, so the Deleos definitely have that full show, too.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:25:55 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 10:27:19 PM »
Agree about the reunion but I never much cared for Rolling Rock.

Legitimately curious what your reasoning is here. Everything's subjective, but this was one of the most incredible live shows I've ever seen, and I wasn't even there.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 10:44:49 PM »

Legitimately curious what your reasoning is here. Everything's subjective, but this was one of the most incredible live shows I've ever seen, and I wasn't even there.

For me, and it's cool if you disagree, it was a little OTT, too much 3+1 which was the case when I saw them not long after. I just prefer to focus on when all 4 were 100% together and firing as 1. That whole run after jail with the radio shows, Storytellers, LA HoB, Musique Plus etc through the recording of SLDD was the most incredible thing imho.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 11:03:47 PM »

For me, and it's cool if you disagree, it was a little OTT, too much 3+1 which was the case when I saw them not long after. I just prefer to focus on when all 4 were 100% together and firing as 1. That whole run after jail with the radio shows, Storytellers, LA HoB, Musique Plus etc through the recording of SLDD was the most incredible thing imho.

I see what you're saying, it's close to impossible for the rest of the band to match Scott's energy when he's like that. Still, I think if there's any STP show in history I could be at it would be that one. HoB and Storytellers would be up there as well.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 12:01:16 AM »
Id like to see a farewell mini tour with different guest artist as a tribute to scott and the band. And then id like to see the band close the vaults on stp and allow its legacy to live on. I wouldnt mind the guys continuing to make music, just under a different band name.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2015, 02:14:22 AM »
I can't remember if it's the 99 or to 2000 HOB show, but one of them was released on dvd by some other company, they might own the rights to it.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2015, 02:35:55 AM »
also i wouldn't call rolling rock 3+1. from what I understand the band actually talked to each other back then.

justbill

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 10:57:57 AM »
Sturgis, SD... 2010... Rock N' Rev Festival... The entire week-long festival was filmed in HD. I'd love to relive this night (or week), with regards to STP's performance. People were still coming down from Eagles of Death Metal and Wolfmother before STP took the stage, but the crowd really got into it after Between the Lines. One of the better nights for the band, in my opinion.

This footage (to my knowledge) has yet to see the light of day, in its entirety. Only this teaser was released, unmastered audio, which explains the lack of bass. But again, I'd love to see a proper release sometime soon.

Vasoline: https://vimeo.com/14096890
-Bill_