October 01, 2024, 02:48:51 AM

Author Topic: The Future Of STP?  (Read 13190 times)

Toxic34

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
The Future Of STP?
« on: December 04, 2015, 06:49:12 PM »
I apologize if this seems insensitive and tactless, in light of the fact that Scott hasn't even been put in the ground or cremated yet, but this keeps running through my mind, and I have to get it out. If no one wants to answer this for a few days, I fully understand.

More than ever, this only makes me wonder what Dean, Robert and Eric will do now? They've already been left in the lurch with Chester's decision to leave STP. But what will happen now? Will they continue their search for a new lead singer to ride goodwill to an Alice in Chains-style resurgence? Or will they completely fold up and never again resurrect STP? If so, what will they do? Revive either Talk Show or Army of Anyone, or start a brand new project?

Also, with Scott's death, now more than ever we the fans will want the archives opened up as a way to remember Scott in his prime? Will this finally get them to release full concerts from STP's heyday (like Worcester '94, HOB Vegas '99, HOB Sunset Strip '00, and Rolling Rock '01) and/or the Shangri-La Dee Da documentary? What about releasing the material from the aborted 2002 album? Atlantic will definitely want to do something to milk their relationship with STP, and probably get ready for a remasters campaign, like with Zeppelin and the 6 albums Rush recorded for them. Maybe even an S/T remix by Brendan O'Brien, much like David Bottrill's remix of Rush's Vapor Trails album.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:51:40 PM by Toxic34 »

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
Re: The Future Of STP?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 07:04:49 PM »
I really hope they shelf STP for good now. No need to continue. Release all of the cool stuff and let the legacy live on. No more EPs or singers.

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 07:36:21 PM »
I actually see Chester getting back involved with them. I don't think they would write new songs together though. Just do tribute shows and maybe a tour here and there.

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 07:39:42 PM »
No.  Let STP and Scott rest.  As a fan I would like to see unreleased footage (SLDD documentary) and songs but for now let Scott rest.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 07:44:09 PM »
I really hope they shelf STP for good now. No need to continue. Release all of the cool stuff and let the legacy live on. No more EPs or singers.

I agree with this. Whatever is in the vaults. (i hope there's more than we know of) but yes...the SLDD, Purple Tour...demos..."Only Dying"...etc.
And hopefully people don't view it as a cash-grab, but treat his legacy right.

As far as new music, I wouldn't hate the idea of the 3 of them doing a tribute album with a select few singers, just as a tribute. But I'm sure that idea may not sit well with some of you.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 08:06:12 PM »
sadly this is now the best chance we've ever had of hearing all of the shelved stuff.

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »
Def need to retire the band name. It needs to be put to rest already.

Would love to hear the Deleos do another AOA album or start up a new project. But as far as STP, it's done.

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 10:08:32 PM »
I say that they put the band to rest. It wasn't right for them to try before...not right to try again.
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 10:24:37 PM »
   I completely agree with the rest of you. Scott is gone and now the music should be left as a wonderful memory of a great legacy. The rest of the STP guys obviously have lots of talent and I'm sure they could easily start a new band if they really wanted to. Yes it won't be Scott but they could start something from scratch. AIC waited many years before even trying to replace Layne. The writing is now on the wall. Time to move on!
Only possible tribute album with different lead singers would work once but that's about it.

8)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 05:46:28 AM »
STP was dead for me the moment Scott was no longer a part of it and now more than ever they need to put it to rest for good and as others have said release the unheard stuff for the fans eventually.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 05:54:11 AM »
I've said I want them to let STP rest since Chester left, and I'm even more of that opinion now.

Maybe in a few years when they're eligable for the R'n'R hall they can do a reunion or two show with Chester, something in tribute to Scott. But if they ever make money off the STP brand again, they need to let percentage ofthe proceeds go to Scott's kids.

But everyone needs time to heal, anything right now would be tasteless.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 05:58:44 AM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 07:17:19 AM »
there is only one person who I could really see doing this now, either as a tour or a one off thing, and that's david bowie. i doubt he'd want to do it though.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 09:45:04 AM »
I am guessing Dean, Robert, and Eric have some stuff to deal with before they ever think of what is to happen with STP. The scenario that I can foresee, if they do go on, is in a year or two getting back together with Chester. In a weird way, Scott's death legitimizes an incarnation of the band with Chester that goes beyond an EP. I know that sounds like blaspheme, but what I mean by that is Alice in Chains fans are more likely to accept William since Layne is, sadly, gone.

In a year or two, we might be anxious for some new music by Dean and Robert and Eric, and maybe everyone would be ready to celebrate the legacy but also make some new music. I'm an AIC fan, yet some of my favorite songs are with William. To me, the hardest part of accepting songs like Black Heart and Tomorrow was that I always thought Scott would sound better. But to be perfectly honest, those are songs that stand up to the STP legacy.

I will no longer be thinking, 'What if?' when listening to the Chester version of STP. I realize more time passed with AIC and Layne, but no situation is perfectly analagous. Chester is such a fan and such a good performer, and you could tell he was making strides singing not screaming. To me, the only way it goes forward is with him.

Anyway, it has to be hard for Robert, Dean and Eric to have shunned Scott and 'turned the page' and then have him end up dead at 48. I am guessing there is some grieving that must go on. I am sure they will second guess their actions. Second guess things they said. This will haunt them forever. We think Tommy will be haunted, think about the guys who knew him for 30 years and turned their back on him 2 years before he died!

Let some healing happen and we all might be open to a new era with Chester.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 09:45:10 AM »
My views have actually changed a lot now with Scott's death.  After Chester's exit I thought they should really give up the name unless Scott was with them.  Even in Scott's state, it just would have felt weird to have a THIRD singer while he's still out there alive and making music.

With Scott dead though, he is never coming back, so all that's left of Stone Temple Pilots is Dean, Robert, and Eric.  I'd prefer they carry on with a new name, but if they're insistent on keeping it, I can accept it now since I'd rather have them out there making music/touring rather than sitting at home and no longer having any STP members actively touring/making music.

With how brutal and tragic Scott's death was, with that lack of closure, his age, the bad blood etc., I really want to see the DeLeos and Eric come back and make another classic album like Alice In Chains did to at least give us bittersweet closure, unlike right now, where we're just left with the bitter feeling.  I have zero interest in them doing greatest hits tours though like they did with Chester the last two years.  If that's all they want to do, they should pack it in.  If they want to try and make more classic albums to add to the legacy, I can get behind that, but man, it better be a good fucking album like Black Gives Way to Blue.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »
I've said I want them to let STP rest since Chester left, and I'm even more of that opinion now.

Maybe in a few years when they're eligable for the R'n'R hall they can do a reunion or two show with Chester, something in tribute to Scott. But if they ever make money off the STP brand again, they need to let percentage ofthe proceeds go to Scott's kids.

But everyone needs time to heal, anything right now would be tasteless.

I agree, now that with what happened, Scott's kids should get some of the money.  Alice In Chains didn't have to deal with the aspect since Layne never had kids, and Nirvana never did any reunion stuff outside of their two 2014 performances which were based around the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  I know Scott's kids are teenagers, but based off an e-mail conversation I had with Mary years back, they have a passion for music in their blood.  In a perfect world, one of them would front the band someday.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11